The Welcome Wagon

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Welcome Wagon

#271 Post by KingKC »

Hello Anyone and Everyone:

I am new to the Forum and pretty much new to forums everywhere. I found this site just a few days ago while walking down memory lane about things that were going on in my life in the 1980s. I particularly liked the section of Why Magnum PI that mentioned sentimental reasons for liking the show. Well, I have many sentimental reasons that are applicable to this last week or so and I will relate them to you. I hope I am not too sentimental for all you tough guy - Magnum wannabes...lol.

Anyway, during the last week of February, 1981 I relocated to Kansas City from my hometown in Arkansas. I was 29 years old and had left my comfort zone of family, friends, and girlfriend for what I hoped to be a much better job to further my career. (It was and did!). My father helped my move in a medium size U-Haul as I did not own much. I remember him driving away that Thursday morning and me thinking: Now what? I went about the day unpacking boxes, grocery shopping, finding a gas station and a pizza parlor and picking up a phone at the Phone Store in the nearest mall. As things slowed down that evening I turned on the tube to catch what else but Magnum PI and later Hill Street Blues as I had been watching both earlier in the season. It was like I had brought part of home with me. A year or so later Simon and Simon was added to the Thursday night lineup and Thursday throughout the Eighties became the best night for television I have ever known. By the way the Episode airing that Thursday was Thicker than Blood.

Now that I am semi- retired and only working part time I have extra time on my hands to do things like this. I will be scanning topics and posting various things over the next few weeks.

Thanks to all for making websites like this popular

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#272 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome KKC!

Very nice intro, and a story that makes one feel like they were there with you.

Not too intimate, but more than "sketchy"...nice!

Lots of great folks here, from all over the globe.

The common denominator....obviously....Magnum! :magnum:

Looking forward to seeing you around and hearing more about your move and what came after.

Welcome aboard. :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

TSM308
Captain

#273 Post by TSM308 »

Aloha from Des Moines, IA everyone -

Like many of you I'm sure, I've been a fan of the show since the early 80's. In fact, as I'm typing this, I just realized that I was my son's age when I was watching on Thursday nights, growing up in Pennsylvania. Lucky for me that he and his twin sister love watching my Magnum DVD's as much as I do.

We've been to Oahu twice, most recently last November over Thanksgiving - saw the chopper at Turtle Bay, and made the pilgrimage to the Estate on our way from the North Shore to Waikiki. I've been a lurker on the site for years, but finally decided to register!

"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#274 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome TSM308!
TSM308 wrote:I've been a lurker on the site for years, but finally decided to register!
Glad you did, and thanks for the pics!

Geeeez....seems like everyone's been to the island and the estate but me! :lol: I must not be livin' right!LOL

I suppose if it was a high priority, I'd have managed it by now.....one of these days! :magnum:

Always glad to see new folks here, especially if they have pics to share and tales to tell of having been there and done that.

If you've been looking around for as long as you say, don't need to tell you about how great this site is. Enjoy!

And feel free to tell us all about your visits and share any pics you'd like.

Welcome aboard! :magnum:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#275 Post by ConchRepublican »

Welcome KingKC and TSM308!!

Thank you for sharing your stories and pictures.

It's always great when new Maniacs join our little group. JJ and Doc have a great place here. Enjoy hanging at our virtual Estate!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#276 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Welcome aboard gentlemen!
I'm a Boxley Girl....

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#277 Post by KingKC »

Thanks for the welcome. I have already leaped into posting on many threads in the last 90 days because there is so much to comment on when it comes to MPI. The postings are slowing down quite a bit but I think I will make it to Fleet Admiral in a few weeks. My thanks to all the members who keep this site going!!

KingKC

ImaginaryMary
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#278 Post by ImaginaryMary »

J.J. Walters wrote:Welcome to Magnum Mania!

Please introduce yourself and have a look around.

:)
Honestly, I'm afraid I might have arrived post-frenzy...

What can I say about this show...

My family has always felt like the characters and stories were extensions of our family. none of us care what time it is unless you tell it in Magnum P.I. time (i.e. quarter 'til Magnum).

If you don't surf, fish, dive, and wear bikinis like in the intro (that snorkel chick always did it for me), then you might as well just run away and join the circus.

Excited to get into some of the reading, getting to know some members, and randomly messaging people to establish who is still around...

I take commissions for original art in various mediums and THIS and sport fishing are my genres of choice :)

XOXO

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#279 Post by 308GUY »

Aloha & welcome IM! :lol:

Sounds like you're already "one of the guys" but glad you made it official.

Love to see some of your work should you care to share.

In case you haven't seen it yet, JJ made a "Fan Art" page where pieces done by members are spotlighted.

My youngest son is also an artist and if you're interested, I'll send you a link to his FB studio page.

Aloha! :magnum:

We need some lei icons...... l

ImaginaryMary
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#280 Post by ImaginaryMary »

308GUY wrote:Aloha & welcome IM! :lol:

Sounds like you're already "one of the guys" but glad you made it official.

Love to see some of your work should you care to share.

In case you haven't seen it yet, JJ made a "Fan Art" page where pieces done by members are spotlighted.

My youngest son is also an artist and if you're interested, I'll send you a link to his FB studio page.

Aloha! :magnum:

We need some lei icons...... l

PLEASE! I love to see any art, especially from the kids :D

I have some paintings to finish for the Sportsfishing art expo that Guy Harvey promotes every year. I took orders for commissions at last years show and am done with 1/11. (Master of slack) Can't rush inspiration (and I can't paint on the beach and fish, LOL). I've spent more time today coming up with some reference to paint my brother a magnum piece for when I head to CA for whales and fishing with my big brothers (the two that don't suck anyway).

I'm totally all over that though, maybe even before the show...

Gordon Katsumoto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#281 Post by Gordon Katsumoto »

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Long time lurker, first time poster (obviously!).

I've been a Magnum P.I. fan ever since it was first broadcast in France (sometime around the early-mid eighties). I was a wee lad back then.
I've laughed and cried over the years watching this fantastic series which by the way made me a fan of Tom Selleck forever... Well, that and Mr. Baseball! As a matter of fact, I thought of taking the Jack Elliott username. But that's another story.

I know that Det. Gordon Katsumoto is not a favorite around these parts (I just re-read the thread dedicated to This Island Isn't Big Enough... :D ), but I've always liked this over-the-top character.

I'm currently rewatching the 6th season for the umpteenth time. And I'm having a whale of a time as usual... as Higgins would say, when Magnum P.I. is on, "the birds are singing and the lads are frolicking."

This place is simply fantastic.

Turkey
Admiral

#282 Post by Turkey »

Welcome!! :)
Make it two weeks.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#283 Post by KingKC »

Welcome Gordon. I hope this site brings back as many good memories for you as it has for me.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#284 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome to our obsession! :lol:

Sounds like you've got the "bug" about the same level as myself. Can never get enough. Maybe someday...but not in the immediate future, that I can see.

If you've been looking around for some time, you already know the vastness of the information and level of commitment that exists here.

If you were in France in the 80's and are in Japan now, are you a frequent traveler, in the military, or just jumped countries once?

Maybe a better question is...have you been to "the island"...and do you have any new stories/pictures from the visit you'd care to share?

Also.....do you own/rent/have the "use" of a Ferrari 308GTS/GTB or any other version thereof? :D

Ok, enough of my rambling, hoping you have a sense of humor.....I've met some who don't! :lol:

Always good to see new folks join the ranks...kind of reinforces the belief that others share the same reaction to something that has grabbed and held on to ourselves.
I haven't been here all that long myself, compared to some of the long time posters, but the ones who stuck around are some of the best bunch of people you'll find anywhere on the "net" or I'd guess in the world. JMHO :magnum:

Welcome to you...glad to see you here. :higgins:

Great Higgin's quote about the birds..and the lads....just great! :magnum:

Gordon Katsumoto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#285 Post by Gordon Katsumoto »

Thank you for the kind words, Pilgrims (I've got to get into character somehow).

I sadly have no particular stories to share. Never been to the Island, never driven a Ferrari (let alone approached one), never even bought any Magnum P.I. memorabilia (I know that's unacceptable)... Although I'd love to have that mug TS once brought to a David Letterman show. :D

I'm quite a bore to be perfectly honest. :wink:

But I can't get enough of Magnum P.I.

:magnum: :higgins: Where are the TC and Rick Smilies? And what about the lads? :(
I hate that place! :wink:

308GUY wrote: ...
Great Higgin's quote about the birds..and the lads....just great! :magnum:
Magnum's reaction to that line is priceless.