The Welcome Wagon

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The Welcome Wagon

#261 Post by ConchRepublican »

Higgy's Baby wrote:Hello All,
I'm new to the site, and completely new to commenting on fan forums, so I hope I never breach any kind of etiquette. I have no idea what I'm doing, I just know I'm so grateful that you love the show as much as I do.

I'm also thankful to Doc Ibold and J.J. Walters for maintaining and creating the site, respectively. You are all so funny in your comments, too.

I love how comprehensive Magnum-Mania! is; it's great to see a link to merchandise for sale, discussion of particular episodes, etc.

I was a kid when the show ran, and now as a grown woman (with keener awareness that there were handsome, cultured, fun-loving men racing and flying around Hawaii!) I can fully appreciate it. Not to be narrow-minded, mind you. I love the various deep facets of the show so much, too: Michelle and Lily, Icepick, Higgins as mentor, Magnum seeking his purpose . . .

Anyway, thanks for these forums!
Aloha Higgy's Baby! JJ and Doc have done a great job with this virtual estate. It's always nice when someone new jumps who the fence and joins our merry band "gets" the show.

Enjoy a stroll through the grounds, the lads are enjoying a fine filet. :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#262 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Hi Guys!

Been a fan since way back when. I was in high school/college when MPI originally aired. I recently purchased 4 of the 8 seasons at a flea market for only $20 and have been binging on Magnum ever since. I'm happy to have stumbled in this awesome site and forum. What a great source of info! Looking forward to creating tribute videos once I receive the remaining 4 seasons I've just ordered from Amazon.

Aloha.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#263 Post by 308GUY »

Aloha Mrs. Higgins!

Always good to see new members.

I've not been here all that long myself, but long enough to be able to tell you without a doubt, you have found the best MPI site anywhere! :magnum:

Don't neglect to check out rubberchickens MPI location guide plus all the features JJ blessed us with as he set up and improved the site.

Just in case you don't know, all you have to do is click on the logo at the top of every page to take you to the main page where everything is at your fingertips.

Welcome aboard and don't be shy about sharing your Magnum enthusiasm, you are in good company!

Aloha! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

46_James
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#264 Post by 46_James »

Hi guys and gals--I am a long long time MPI fan. I was in junior high and high school when the show was originally on, I suppose very impressionable age, I learned a lot about life from MPI at that age, corny? I learned that friends should be very loyal, real friends are. There was a local DR in my town whom owned part of the Ferrari dealership in KC, my mom arranged for a ride in a black 308 when I was probably 15, after the Dr took me around a while, he pulled over and said ok your turn. I was shocked, I didn't have a drivers license nor any time driving a car, golf carts yea, the only other car I drove was a Porsche 944 and that was just around the block and back. So yep a black 308 was the 2nd car I've ever drove. I've been watching MPI on Netflix lately, and I'd echo what many of you say. I feel very drawn to the characters emotionally, as I eagerly watched every show on Thursday night. When I grew up and finally started making money on my own, I bought a Rolex GMT, I fell in love with the GMT from MPI and vowed I'd get one some day, still on the fence on buying a 308, I need a 3rd garage, a new Ferrari-like the California seems to make more sense, if its in the budget, I hear the 308s are repair nightmares. Like many of you, I wish the show would go on, as it doesn't feel like fiction, us hard core fans feel as if were part of the story. I don't watch much fiction on TV now, I still have a strong strong attachment to MPI and always will. I think I'm about in the middle of season 3 now, and I can tell things are really starting to gel. Some fun observations after re-watching it: a lot of fist fights!, the men back then un buttoned their collars half way down, maybe thats a tropical thing, sure is a lot of gun shooting-you'd think 5-0 would be tired of the 'Mags' always getting in gun fights. The show would have really popped on TV if it were shot in HD and 16:9, with all the blue water and incredible scenery. The Vietnam war was much more recent to the story than I first remember, seems like Rick, TC and the Mags were only out of the Navy just a few yrs, maybe I'm wrong on that. I am grateful that Magnum Mania is here for us to keep the story alive. Just watched the Ernest Borgnine show last night, that was great. And Did you see the sunrise episode, I do remember that from the first showing, very powerful emotionally. Look forward to chatting with y'all. Best, Jim

quick edit---And the estate-nothing I can say here that hasn't been said other than the estate was a character in the show on its own. I just love how Higgins was so dedicated to the estate, proud of it, loved it, shared it.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#265 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome & aloha..46_James!

As mentioned previously, it's always good to see new members, at least in my opinion...it verifies the belief that this show was/is what all of us here believe it to be, and that's a "little" different to each one of us. Needless to say, we all think it's one of the great things that happened to television and the world, that we have (had) Magnum P.I. in our lives for whatever reason is dear to us.

I personally don't think it's "corny" for you to have gotten life lessons from the show. Each of us is on a "path", and yours is different than mine and mine is different than anybody else's, yet all paths basically lead to the same end. One of the "rules" of being on that path is..."The next message is always where you are when you are ready for the next message...and there's ALWAYS a next message." Those messages can come from any and all sources, we just have to be able to recognize them when they show up. Another "quirk" of the journey is that if you don't "get" a message when it's presented, it will be repeated until you do.

Sooooo........didn't mean to get off on a "tangent", but I do tend to "ramble" occasionally. :D

Also always good to hear somebody else still enjoys watching the episodes and making their way through the series. I almost always get a little down when I know the last episode is coming up...even though we all know it's coming and what it is and we have to watch TM point that remote at us and sign off...... :magnum:

Look forward to seeing/hearing more from you in the future..don't be shy. :higgins:

Magnum's moustache
Lieutenant Commander

#266 Post by Magnum's moustache »

Aloha to all the Magnum's fans out there 8)

My name's Enza and as a "young" fan I must say that I adore the website and all its features. A big GRAZIE / MERCI to the creators of this little paradise, this place is a complete source of information, full of joy and Magnum's spirit!

Soooooooo... I'll have a swim in the tidal pool now, see you later guys :wink:

Greetings from Switzerland!
Higgins: Magnum, you are clad only in your undershorts.
Magnum: Of course I am.
Higgins: Even for you I find that just a trifle casual.

{Unless you treat failure as part of the journey, you're never going to get anywhere.} ~ Tom Selleck

Regimen
Ensign

#267 Post by Regimen »

Hello Everyone,

I'm really pleased to join this group!
I enjoy perusing this website and reading all user's fact's and opinion's about Magnum PI.
I look forward to being more active in the future.

As a toast to all users and the creators of this fine website:
"To the Regimen"
To the Regimen!

Oh.My.GOD!
Ensign

#268 Post by Oh.My.GOD! »

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Found your terrific web site while trying to answer some Magnum questions online. What a great site - and a pleasure to see I am not alone in appreciating Magnum after so many years.

I mentioned in another post that I ran into Magnum being posted on Netflix of which I am a member. I have no idea when the show was first posted but I sure am disappointed it is being taken down. Watched a few episodes from the first season and began remembering watching them way back in high school.

Watching Magnum was like taking a vacation for an hour. My sister and I sure enjoyed the trip out of freezing cold Maine to Hawaii each week. It was also a vacation away from difficulties. By far my favorite television show from my youth.

Will always remember my reaction to the ending of " Did you see the sunrise? " - had the same reaction just the other night after watching again all these years later. An amazing piece of work.

So - see you good folks around the forum. I've yet to rant about the Magnum movie but am sure I will at some point!

( in short - no TS, no movie )

ConchRepublican

#269 Post by ConchRepublican »

Hello Mania newbies!!!

Welcome to our virtual Estate!

It's always great to see the membership increase. Let's us know that there are still a lot of appreciators out there, not to mention younger people finding the gold mine that is Magnum PI.

I hope the show comes back to Nexflix soon, I'm sure that helps introduce people to our favorite private investigator.
CoziTV Superfan spot

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#270 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Welcome aboard everyone!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#271 Post by KingKC »

Hello Anyone and Everyone:

I am new to the Forum and pretty much new to forums everywhere. I found this site just a few days ago while walking down memory lane about things that were going on in my life in the 1980s. I particularly liked the section of Why Magnum PI that mentioned sentimental reasons for liking the show. Well, I have many sentimental reasons that are applicable to this last week or so and I will relate them to you. I hope I am not too sentimental for all you tough guy - Magnum wannabes...lol.

Anyway, during the last week of February, 1981 I relocated to Kansas City from my hometown in Arkansas. I was 29 years old and had left my comfort zone of family, friends, and girlfriend for what I hoped to be a much better job to further my career. (It was and did!). My father helped my move in a medium size U-Haul as I did not own much. I remember him driving away that Thursday morning and me thinking: Now what? I went about the day unpacking boxes, grocery shopping, finding a gas station and a pizza parlor and picking up a phone at the Phone Store in the nearest mall. As things slowed down that evening I turned on the tube to catch what else but Magnum PI and later Hill Street Blues as I had been watching both earlier in the season. It was like I had brought part of home with me. A year or so later Simon and Simon was added to the Thursday night lineup and Thursday throughout the Eighties became the best night for television I have ever known. By the way the Episode airing that Thursday was Thicker than Blood.

Now that I am semi- retired and only working part time I have extra time on my hands to do things like this. I will be scanning topics and posting various things over the next few weeks.

Thanks to all for making websites like this popular

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#272 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome KKC!

Very nice intro, and a story that makes one feel like they were there with you.

Not too intimate, but more than "sketchy"...nice!

Lots of great folks here, from all over the globe.

The common denominator....obviously....Magnum! :magnum:

Looking forward to seeing you around and hearing more about your move and what came after.

Welcome aboard. :higgins:

TSM308
Captain

#273 Post by TSM308 »

Aloha from Des Moines, IA everyone -

Like many of you I'm sure, I've been a fan of the show since the early 80's. In fact, as I'm typing this, I just realized that I was my son's age when I was watching on Thursday nights, growing up in Pennsylvania. Lucky for me that he and his twin sister love watching my Magnum DVD's as much as I do.

We've been to Oahu twice, most recently last November over Thanksgiving - saw the chopper at Turtle Bay, and made the pilgrimage to the Estate on our way from the North Shore to Waikiki. I've been a lurker on the site for years, but finally decided to register!

"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#274 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome TSM308!
TSM308 wrote:I've been a lurker on the site for years, but finally decided to register!
Glad you did, and thanks for the pics!

Geeeez....seems like everyone's been to the island and the estate but me! :lol: I must not be livin' right!LOL

I suppose if it was a high priority, I'd have managed it by now.....one of these days! :magnum:

Always glad to see new folks here, especially if they have pics to share and tales to tell of having been there and done that.

If you've been looking around for as long as you say, don't need to tell you about how great this site is. Enjoy!

And feel free to tell us all about your visits and share any pics you'd like.

Welcome aboard! :magnum:

ConchRepublican

#275 Post by ConchRepublican »

Welcome KingKC and TSM308!!

Thank you for sharing your stories and pictures.

It's always great when new Maniacs join our little group. JJ and Doc have a great place here. Enjoy hanging at our virtual Estate!!
CoziTV Superfan spot