The Welcome Wagon

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: The Welcome Wagon

#251 Post by Doc Ibold »

magnum1911 wrote:Hey everyone. Just joined the forum. To say I am a Magnum PI fan is an understatement. I am totally blown away there is a forum dedicated to this. I am 37 yrs old and have very fond memories watching this show as a wee lad with my grandfather. They just dont make shows like this anymore. I have watched probably every episode 10 times and my wife and kids think I am a dork for doing it. Whatever....... Anyways, I'm a USMC vet and live in Michigan. And being the firearms nut that I am I can tell you what gun was used in what scene and probably even th3 dates the gun were made. Thanks.
Welcome aboard!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#252 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Welcome Aboard to all our newest members!

Harold Farber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#253 Post by Harold Farber »

Hi all,

New here from down under (long time Magnum P.I. fan) and just about to start through my boxsets from start to finish once again.

Cheers,

HF.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#254 Post by Doc Ibold »

Welcome!

Scrolling through the box sets is the sign of a true Magnum Maniac!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#255 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Harold Farber wrote:Hi all,

New here from down under (long time Magnum P.I. fan) and just about to start through my boxsets from start to finish once again.

Cheers,

HF.
Welcome to the forum, mate!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgy's Baby
Ensign

#256 Post by Higgy's Baby »

Hello All,
I'm new to the site, and completely new to commenting on fan forums, so I hope I never breach any kind of etiquette. I have no idea what I'm doing, I just know I'm so grateful that you love the show as much as I do.

I'm also thankful to Doc Ibold and J.J. Walters for maintaining and creating the site, respectively. You are all so funny in your comments, too.

I love how comprehensive Magnum-Mania! is; it's great to see a link to merchandise for sale, discussion of particular episodes, etc.

I was a kid when the show ran, and now as a grown woman (with keener awareness that there were handsome, cultured, fun-loving men racing and flying around Hawaii!) I can fully appreciate it. Not to be narrow-minded, mind you. I love the various deep facets of the show so much, too: Michelle and Lily, Icepick, Higgins as mentor, Magnum seeking his purpose . . .

Anyway, thanks for these forums!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#257 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome HB!

Sounds like you've already been looking around the site, don't ever think you've seen it all, cause just when you think there just can't be any more.....yup....there it is! :lol:

Don't forget rubberchickens MPI filming site guide....you can spend hours on that alone.

If you brought your bikini, I'm sure there will be more than a few volunteers to show you how to snorkel in the tidal pool......even if you already know how! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Higgy's Baby
Ensign

#258 Post by Higgy's Baby »

Thank you for the directions 308. Can't wait to dive in.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#259 Post by terryfromkerry »

Aloha Higgy's Baby and welcome. :magnum:

Great username. Please be advised " There will be no wild parties, no outrageous liberties, no unauthorized guests ............" :higgins:

BTW don't even think about the wine cellar ! :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#260 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Welcome Higgy's Baby. Don't worry about protocol around here. Everyone's really really relaxed and just happy to hear different perspectives. This is the one and only forum I've ever participated in also.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#261 Post by ConchRepublican »

Higgy's Baby wrote:Hello All,
I'm new to the site, and completely new to commenting on fan forums, so I hope I never breach any kind of etiquette. I have no idea what I'm doing, I just know I'm so grateful that you love the show as much as I do.

I'm also thankful to Doc Ibold and J.J. Walters for maintaining and creating the site, respectively. You are all so funny in your comments, too.

I love how comprehensive Magnum-Mania! is; it's great to see a link to merchandise for sale, discussion of particular episodes, etc.

I was a kid when the show ran, and now as a grown woman (with keener awareness that there were handsome, cultured, fun-loving men racing and flying around Hawaii!) I can fully appreciate it. Not to be narrow-minded, mind you. I love the various deep facets of the show so much, too: Michelle and Lily, Icepick, Higgins as mentor, Magnum seeking his purpose . . .

Anyway, thanks for these forums!
Aloha Higgy's Baby! JJ and Doc have done a great job with this virtual estate. It's always nice when someone new jumps who the fence and joins our merry band "gets" the show.

Enjoy a stroll through the grounds, the lads are enjoying a fine filet. :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#262 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Hi Guys!

Been a fan since way back when. I was in high school/college when MPI originally aired. I recently purchased 4 of the 8 seasons at a flea market for only $20 and have been binging on Magnum ever since. I'm happy to have stumbled in this awesome site and forum. What a great source of info! Looking forward to creating tribute videos once I receive the remaining 4 seasons I've just ordered from Amazon.

Aloha.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#263 Post by 308GUY »

Aloha Mrs. Higgins!

Always good to see new members.

I've not been here all that long myself, but long enough to be able to tell you without a doubt, you have found the best MPI site anywhere! :magnum:

Don't neglect to check out rubberchickens MPI location guide plus all the features JJ blessed us with as he set up and improved the site.

Just in case you don't know, all you have to do is click on the logo at the top of every page to take you to the main page where everything is at your fingertips.

Welcome aboard and don't be shy about sharing your Magnum enthusiasm, you are in good company!

Aloha! :magnum:

46_James
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#264 Post by 46_James »

Hi guys and gals--I am a long long time MPI fan. I was in junior high and high school when the show was originally on, I suppose very impressionable age, I learned a lot about life from MPI at that age, corny? I learned that friends should be very loyal, real friends are. There was a local DR in my town whom owned part of the Ferrari dealership in KC, my mom arranged for a ride in a black 308 when I was probably 15, after the Dr took me around a while, he pulled over and said ok your turn. I was shocked, I didn't have a drivers license nor any time driving a car, golf carts yea, the only other car I drove was a Porsche 944 and that was just around the block and back. So yep a black 308 was the 2nd car I've ever drove. I've been watching MPI on Netflix lately, and I'd echo what many of you say. I feel very drawn to the characters emotionally, as I eagerly watched every show on Thursday night. When I grew up and finally started making money on my own, I bought a Rolex GMT, I fell in love with the GMT from MPI and vowed I'd get one some day, still on the fence on buying a 308, I need a 3rd garage, a new Ferrari-like the California seems to make more sense, if its in the budget, I hear the 308s are repair nightmares. Like many of you, I wish the show would go on, as it doesn't feel like fiction, us hard core fans feel as if were part of the story. I don't watch much fiction on TV now, I still have a strong strong attachment to MPI and always will. I think I'm about in the middle of season 3 now, and I can tell things are really starting to gel. Some fun observations after re-watching it: a lot of fist fights!, the men back then un buttoned their collars half way down, maybe thats a tropical thing, sure is a lot of gun shooting-you'd think 5-0 would be tired of the 'Mags' always getting in gun fights. The show would have really popped on TV if it were shot in HD and 16:9, with all the blue water and incredible scenery. The Vietnam war was much more recent to the story than I first remember, seems like Rick, TC and the Mags were only out of the Navy just a few yrs, maybe I'm wrong on that. I am grateful that Magnum Mania is here for us to keep the story alive. Just watched the Ernest Borgnine show last night, that was great. And Did you see the sunrise episode, I do remember that from the first showing, very powerful emotionally. Look forward to chatting with y'all. Best, Jim

quick edit---And the estate-nothing I can say here that hasn't been said other than the estate was a character in the show on its own. I just love how Higgins was so dedicated to the estate, proud of it, loved it, shared it.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#265 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome & aloha..46_James!

As mentioned previously, it's always good to see new members, at least in my opinion...it verifies the belief that this show was/is what all of us here believe it to be, and that's a "little" different to each one of us. Needless to say, we all think it's one of the great things that happened to television and the world, that we have (had) Magnum P.I. in our lives for whatever reason is dear to us.

I personally don't think it's "corny" for you to have gotten life lessons from the show. Each of us is on a "path", and yours is different than mine and mine is different than anybody else's, yet all paths basically lead to the same end. One of the "rules" of being on that path is..."The next message is always where you are when you are ready for the next message...and there's ALWAYS a next message." Those messages can come from any and all sources, we just have to be able to recognize them when they show up. Another "quirk" of the journey is that if you don't "get" a message when it's presented, it will be repeated until you do.

Sooooo........didn't mean to get off on a "tangent", but I do tend to "ramble" occasionally. :D

Also always good to hear somebody else still enjoys watching the episodes and making their way through the series. I almost always get a little down when I know the last episode is coming up...even though we all know it's coming and what it is and we have to watch TM point that remote at us and sign off...... :magnum:

Look forward to seeing/hearing more from you in the future..don't be shy. :higgins: