The Welcome Wagon

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Welcome Wagon

#316 Post by 308GUY »

Gorgeous!

With a view like that...it doesn't NEED to be Hawaii!

Thanks for sharing. 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#317 Post by Stelth »

That's great! Thanks for sharing.

Carol
Ensign

#318 Post by Carol »

Hi...just a Magnum fan who recently got the DVD set and has watched them four times...back to back... :oops:
"If there`s an answer, it`s just that it`s just that way"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#319 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome Carol......yep....you got it bad! :magnum:

Stick around....not a better bunch of maniacs anywhere. :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#320 Post by K Hale »

Hello! I have been posting a bit but did not see this thread before now. In the 1980s MPI was a pretty regular staple in our household. I was just a girl then and in the ensuing years I have not been into the show, but in recent months I somehow got a hankering for it and bought the DVD set. Now I am a full on fan again!

From childhood, I can mostly only recall two episodes that really stuck with me over the years to the point where I had forgotten where I saw them: I recalled one as a war movie with a scene showing prisoners being tortured in cages and blood jetting out of some guy's body while another guy yelled "Stick your finger in it!" Something about the horror of this embedded itself in my mind and much to my surprise on recent viewing I realized it was in fact an episode of MPI ("Did You See the Sunrise" in fact, now one of my favorites). The other was a shadowy memory of a "native's" bead-bedecked leg slipping through the darkness after somebody, and the knowledge that this was a Mau Mau. I recalled this being very scary and yes indeed it turned out to be "Black on White." Again I recalled it as a movie, not an episode of MPI. Funny how images make such an impression.

Anyway, what else to say? I live in Texas. Higgy Baby is my favorite character, in fact when I was a kid he was my whole family's favorite character. My father, a retired Marine sergeant who served in the Pacific in WW2, would even refer to him as Higgy Baby. Have not been to Hawaii but plan to go this spring or fall.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#321 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:I was just a girl then[...]
This statement confused me for a bit because I thought you were a guy. :D (...from your avatar. I'm also confused when guys have girl avatars.)

Yeah, I like Higgy Baby too. That's why two of my favourite episodes are the ones that focus on Higgins.

Texas, eh? I've been there. My main memories are that it has nice grass, big houses, fast food restaurants everywhere and nobody walks. (I nearly got ran over at every crosswalk.)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#322 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:I was just a girl then[...]
This statement confused me for a bit because I thought you were a guy. :D (...from your avatar. I'm also confused when guys have girl avatars.)
But you have a goat avatar... :shock:
Yeah, I like Higgy Baby too. That's why two of my favourite episodes are the ones that focus on Higgins.
Mine too! How many times did a lackluster episode wind up being enjoyable only because he carried it on his shoulders?
Texas, eh? I've been there. My main memories are that it has nice grass, big houses, fast food restaurants everywhere and nobody walks. (I nearly got ran over at every crosswalk.)
What part of Texas were you in? I live in Dallas and you described it perfectly. But, it's a large and varied state and some parts don't fit that description at all, except the part about nobody walking anywhere. Hondo, for example... hahaha, home of the Ziller family... hot and dry, no grass or big houses and dang little fast food. Been through it a number of times on the way to and from San Antonio and Brackettville/Fort Clark. Doesn't look like Hawaii, nor is it in the hill country, which also doesn't look like Hawaii. :wink:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#323 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I hear there are hills in hill country. :P

I was in Dallas for a week. It didn't look like Hawaii. :D

Bah, Texas is small. Puny! We have provinces up here that make Texas look like Rhode Island. :wink:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#324 Post by K Hale »

I knew when you said that, that you had to be describing Dallas. Or possibly Houston, which is a lot like Dallas except with the climate of Calcutta.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#325 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Bah, Texas is small. Puny! We have provinces up here that make Texas look like Rhode Island. :wink:
Fellow Canadian here, and I second that. P.E.I. makes Rhode Island look like Massachusetts. :P

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#326 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

True, but Massachusetts makes Zimbabwe look like Uzbekistan.

Years ago, I made up a saying that I still can't get out of my head: "I don't give two s**ts about Massachusetts."
(no offence... it's just a saying :D )

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#327 Post by Sam »

Welcome to all the new members..it's good to see a renewed interest in the forum.
13 new members this year.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#328 Post by Reef monkey »

K Hale wrote:I knew when you said that, that you had to be describing Dallas. Or possibly Houston, which is a lot like Dallas except with the climate of Calcutta.
Hah! As a native Houstonian who lived in Dallas for 4 years, I recognize a lot of truth in that statement! I've never understood the Dallas-Houston rivalry, we're just too similar, except for the weather. Dallas has frigid winter weather that comes in off the Great Plains, and December through March is grey and leafless. And then in summer any plants that aren't in the range of a sprinkler are brown and crispy July-September and it feels like an oven walking outside. And then there are the hail storms and tornadoes. Houston has nice mild winters, and brief afternoon summer showers, so everything stays green all year round, but July-September feels like walking in a sauna. Tornadoes and hailstorms are infrequent, but floods sure aren't, and a serious tropical storm or hurricane hits us about every 8-10 years.

Of the two cities, Houston's lush subtropical greenness probably makes us more Hawaii-like, but I don't think the Convention and Visitors' Bureau should start making that claim on their brochures.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#329 Post by Reef monkey »

K Hale wrote:Hello! I have been posting a bit but did not see this thread before now. In the 1980s MPI was a pretty regular staple in our household. I was just a girl then and in the ensuing years I have not been into the show, but in recent months I somehow got a hankering for it and bought the DVD set. Now I am a full on fan again!

From childhood, I can mostly only recall two episodes that really stuck with me over the years to the point where I had forgotten where I saw them: I recalled one as a war movie with a scene showing prisoners being tortured in cages and blood jetting out of some guy's body while another guy yelled "Stick your finger in it!" Something about the horror of this embedded itself in my mind and much to my surprise on recent viewing I realized it was in fact an episode of MPI ("Did You See the Sunrise" in fact, now one of my favorites). The other was a shadowy memory of a "native's" bead-bedecked leg slipping through the darkness after somebody, and the knowledge that this was a Mau Mau. I recalled this being very scary and yes indeed it turned out to be "Black on White." Again I recalled it as a movie, not an episode of MPI. Funny how images make such an impression.

Anyway, what else to say? I live in Texas. Higgy Baby is my favorite character, in fact when I was a kid he was my whole family's favorite character. My father, a retired Marine sergeant who served in the Pacific in WW2, would even refer to him as Higgy Baby. Have not been to Hawaii but plan to go this spring or fall.
Hey, a fellow Texan, welcome! And an active one at that, already an Admiral in less than 2 months! I live in Houston, but went to SMU and have fond memories of my college town, so don't worry, I don't buy into the Big D/H-town rivalry :) It also sounds like you and I are about the same age, as I was also a kid when Magnum was first-run. The episode "Forty" finally had meaning for me two years ago.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#330 Post by K Hale »

Reef monkey wrote:
K Hale wrote:I knew when you said that, that you had to be describing Dallas. Or possibly Houston, which is a lot like Dallas except with the climate of Calcutta.
Hah! As a native Houstonian who lived in Dallas for 4 years, I recognize a lot of truth in that statement! I've never understood the Dallas-Houston rivalry, we're just too similar, except for the weather. Dallas has frigid winter weather that comes in off the Great Plains, and December through March is grey and leafless. And then in summer any plants that aren't in the range of a sprinkler are brown and crispy July-September and it feels like an oven walking outside. And then there are the hail storms and tornadoes. Houston has nice mild winters, and brief afternoon summer showers, so everything stays green all year round, but July-September feels like walking in a sauna. Tornadoes and hailstorms are infrequent, but floods sure aren't, and a serious tropical storm or hurricane hits us about every 8-10 years.

Of the two cities, Houston's lush subtropical greenness probably makes us more Hawaii-like, but I don't think the Convention and Visitors' Bureau should start making that claim on their brochures.
Yep, I sure didn't move here for the climate... summers are brutally hot, winters can be icy (though we were blessedly ice-free this past winter!). Spring is nice except for the tornado threat. Autumn is generally pleasant except when it suddenly turns into summer again, a phenomenon we refer to as "hotumn." Yeah, it's generally the pits, lol.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!