It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

#1 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
Years ago my buddies and me used to collect movie/TV items that got by the censors, as well as In Jokes.
An In Joke is just that. For instance in an McHales Navy episode, Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway are killing time playing cards
while in turn they keep asking each other
"What do you want to do? I don't know what do you want to do?"

This is a exact take off on a memorable scene in the immortal movie "Marty" when Borgnine and his sidekick are spending yet another
dateless Saturday night and are ruminating what they should do. Borgnine won an Oscar as Marty, and Joe Flynn(Captain Binghampton)
sometimes would sneak in a throwaway line such as "some Oscar winner, nobody is going to buy that performance".

Now this thread is going to have some off color inferences as indeed, they "got by the censor". I hope others will post items they caught as well.
By the way, I can't think of any In Joke Magnum ploys, you'd think there would be with both Selleck and the writers sense of humor.

The Fighting Seabees (1944)
7 minutes into film:
Susan Hayward, leering down at John Wayne's crotch: "You seem to be a man of, uh, many talents Mr. Donovan."
Naval Commander(Dennis O'Keefe): "Oh don't be so susceptible Connie. I play a mean mouth organ myself".
Donovan (John Wayne): "You do sailor? We'll have to play a duet some time".
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

#2 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi, Dobie!

I may have one for Magnum... what about the beginning of Tigers Fan with Tanaka's flashback and the Lance White reference? Not sure if this is an In Joke? Tanaka, his partner Rob Slater, Hudson, and Pogue (sp?) were on the stakeout talking about "last night's Rockford"...

Hudson: Rockford was great. Jim was being driven nuts by this pain in the butt named Lance White. This guy's Mr. Perfect, right? He's finding all the clues, catching all the suspects.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi, Dobie!

I may have one for Magnum... what about the beginning of Tigers Fan with Tanaka's flashback and the Lance White reference? Not sure if this is an In Joke? Tanaka, his partner Rob Slater, Hudson, and Pogue (sp?) were on the stakeout talking about "last night's Rockford"...

Hudson: Rockford was great. Jim was being driven nuts by this pain in the butt named Lance White. This guy's Mr. Perfect, right? He's finding all the clues, catching all the suspects.
You beat me to it RG!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:

You beat me to it RG!
Sowwy Pahonu! :oops: I just saw it last week on Hallmark's Movies & Mysteries so it was fresh in my mind. :magnum:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

You beat me to it RG!
Sowwy Pahonu! :oops: I just saw it last week on Hallmark's Movies & Mysteries so it was fresh in my mind. :magnum:
Rembrandt'sGirl,
It works for me, good catch. Maybe there are more Magnum In Jokes. A belated welcome back to you RG, everyone missed your input.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

On the Joey Bishop Show, Don Knotts appeared in an episode in his Mayberry police uniform. He is called to the rural rental cabin of Joey Bishop and is completely
in character, Barney Fife squared.
In the credits it reads "Barney Fife as Deputy Sheriff Don Knotts".
Few are aware of this stunt casting as the Joey Bishop Show was not shown for many decades since going off the air in 1964 or 1965. Season one was filmed
in both color and black and white. Season Two and Three in color, season four in black and white with a few color episodes.
Season One's format had Joey living at home with his mother(the aunt from Batman), his sister( Marlo Thomas), brother Warren Berlinger
with another sister married to bum Joe Flynn.
However after Season one they were all discarded for a new format of Joey being a TV host in NYC.
This sitcom is very funny, with many great Borscht Belt comics making appearances. Joe Besser almost steals the series as an apartment handyman.
Why seasons 1 and 4 have both color and black and white episodes is beyond me. Perhaps in season one it was a way to draw attention by having a few
episodes "In Color!" as color TV sales had zoomed because of Bonanza's huge popularity.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by K Hale »

In “Mad Buck Gibson,” in the scene where Mad Buck crashes his parachute while the others are sitting around at the beach bar, Mrs. Gibson is wearing a pendant necklace and if you look closely, the pendant spells out “BITCH.”

Frankly, I want one.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IN JOKE:
In the 77 Sunset Strip episode "Who Killed Cock Robin", Jeff(Roger Smith) says to retired actress Clara(Fay Wray)-
"You know I saw your picture Doctor X three times."
Clara: "You did? Well."
Fay Wray actually did appear in the movie Doctor X in 1932.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by K Hale »

I have no idea what any of that means, but I will assume it is a friendly joke.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:I have no idea what any of that means, but I will assume it is a friendly joke.
Yes, it was a attempt at humor KHale. The quote was from a TVLAND commercial. Sorry.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by K Hale »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
K Hale wrote:I have no idea what any of that means, but I will assume it is a friendly joke.
Yes, it was a attempt at humor KHale. The quote was from a TVLAND commercial. Sorry.
The part that was confusing has been edited out.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu

#12 Post by Pahonu »

There’s a Wild,Wild West episode with Alan Hale where he tells West he wants to go on vacation to deserted island. Jim Backus was also in the episode.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:There’s a Wild,Wild West episode with Alan Hale where he tells West he wants to go on vacation to deserted island. Jim Backus was also in the episode.
Hi Pahonu,
Right you are, the episode was "Night of the Sabatini Death"(1969). Hale played a federal agent who dreams of a desert isle while in the background the
Gilligan's Island theme song is played. I actually remember when the episode first ran as my family roared with laughter at this bit.
By the way as a young man workout demon Hale belonged to and later ran a gym and won many strong man competitions, so he got many parts as
a tough guy early in his career.
In a Jack Benny Show episode he plays a gym owner getting Jack in shape.
Hale himself was still in shape then and he had just about the biggest pair of shoulders you have ever seen outside of a bull.
Even on Gilligan when he was sporting an extra 40 pounds, he was so incredibly strong that he and Bob Denver would sucker in guest stars to bet money arm wrestling
with Hale. When a syndicate of Hale's victims conspired to get their money back by getting the gigantic Clint Walker to challenge Hale, it is rumored Hale and his
'manager' Bob Denver raked in over $30,000 in 1960's dollars. You could buy a middle class house for 30 grand in 1965 so you do the math on what that amount of money
is equal to in today's money.
Hale was the look alike son of Alan Hale Senior, who appeared as Errol Flynn's sidekick in almost all his movies. He was the best Little John ever in Robin Hood(1939).
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Mon May 25, 2020 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pahonu

#14 Post by Pahonu »

Pahonu wrote:There’s a Wild,Wild West episode with Alan Hale where he tells West he wants to go on vacation to deserted island. Jim Backus was also in the episode.
Hi Pahonu,
Right you are, the episode was "Night of the Sabatini Death"(1969). Hale played a federal agent who dreams of a desert isle while in the background the Gilligan's Island
theme song is played. I actually remember when the episode first ran as my family roared with laughter at this bit. By the way Hale belonged to and later ran a
gym and won many strong man competitions, so he got many parts as a tough guy early in his career.
In a Jack Benny Show episode he plays a gym owner getting Jack in shape.
Hale himself was still in shape then and he had just about the biggest pair of shoulders you have ever seen outside of a bull.
Even on Gilligan when he was sporting an extra 40 pounds, he was so incredibly strong that he and Bob Denver would sucker in guest stars to bet money arm wrestling
with Hale. When a syndicate of Hale's victims conspired to get their money back by getting the gigantic Clint Walker to challenge Hale, it is rumored Hale and his
'manager' Bob Denver raked in over $30,000 in 1960's dollars. You could buy a middle class house for 30 grand in 1965 so you do the math on what that amount of money
is equal to in today's money.
Hale was the look alike son of Alan Hale Senior, who appeared as Errol Flynn's sidekick in almost all his movies. He was the best Little John ever in Robin Hood(1939).
When I was about 10 years old or so in the early 80’s my family ate at his seafood restaurant on La Cienega and he was there looking like the skipper. I was so excited. He was the first celebrity I ever met. He came right over to the table and was talking to my mom and dad. I was in awe that the skipper was in front of me. It was so cool.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:
When I was about 10 years old or so in the early 80’s my family ate at his seafood restaurant on La Cienega and he was there looking like the skipper. I was so excited. He was the first celebrity I ever met. He came right over to the table and was talking to my mom and dad. I was in awe that the skipper was in front of me. It was so cool.
Hi Pahonu,
What a neat story. Though many deride Gilligan as slapstick, whatever magic formula was used to create it has people loving it 60 years later. Your great grandchildren
will be watching it on the Mars Colony and telling how their ancestor once met the Skipper!
Time for another "It Got By The Censor".
Cartoonists were notorious for sneaking things in, and the Flintstones series was no exception.
In the episode "Rip Van Flintstone", Fred wakes up after 20 years and visits the mansion of his now wealthy buddy Barney. On the walls of the mansion are paintings
of naked women.
Go to this MeTV site where the nudes are talked about and shown in the Comments section. Just go there and scroll down:

https://www.metv.com/quiz/can-you-tell- ... 62a0a2bf6a

Yabba dabba do!
Dobie