Recent Passing of Stars

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Recent Passing of Stars

#1 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

I thought a thread listing recently passed away acting favorites would be of interest.
Not sure if we mentioned the below at the time -

Great character actor Anthony James passed away on May 27, 2022. Magnum Mania fans will recall him from his turn as one of three punks who steal a priceless violin in the Hawaii 5-0 episode,
"The Guarnerius Caper". It was a direct remake of the Hawaiian Eye episode "Somewhere There's Music", with the same writer for both.
One of the best at portraying repulsive cretins, James 6 '6" frame and unfortunate looks led him to crack "my face is my fortune" after a co-star asked him how much he'd
charge to haunt a house.

From MeTV:
R.I.P. Anthony James, actor in ‘Gunsmoke’ and ‘Return to Witch Mountain’

Eighteen-year-old James Anthony moved with his mother, who had raised him by herself since he was eight, from South Carolina to Los Angeles.
He dreamed of becoming an actor and would do anything to make that happen.

James Anthony realized there was already an actor named Jimmy Anthony, so he came up with a stage name that still rang true – Anthony James.

After struggling to make ends meet, including cleaning bathrooms to pay for acting classes, he got his big break as Ralph the diner cook in the pivotal 1967 film In the Heat of the Night,
which inspired the TV show of the same name.

He then played many roles on television, appearing on Gunsmoke seven times between 1967-1969, recurring four times as Elbert Moses.
He was also in Bonanza, The Mod Squad, Hawaii Five-O and Starsky and Hutch. In 1978, he starred alongside Bette Davis and Christopher Lee in Return to Witch Mountain.

His tall, 6’6” frame and distinguished face won him many villainous roles throughout his career. A year before he retired from acting, he lampooned his evil image as the over-the-top
Hector Savage in The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear.

After playing Skinny Dubois in Clint Eastwood’s Oscar-winning 1992 western Unforgiven, James retired from acting and moved to New England.
He spent his days painting and writing poetry, collecting both in the book Language of the Heart.
He later released a memoir about his long career, appropriately titled Acting My Face.
The book is as much about his beloved mother, Marika, as it is about himself, going against the advice of publishers.

James passed away on May 26. He was 77. In an obituary announcement, donations in his memory made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and the American Society for the Prevention
of Cruelty to Animals were encouraged.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Recent Passing of Stars

#2 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hey Dobie,
Great post. I know I have seen his face on many, many TV shows but his role in Unforgiven is most memorable. I do hope you're well on the way to full recovery.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks Dobie!
He appeared in so many roles over the years. I can’t even count the number of times I remember seeing him. I had no idea he was that tall. He was quite thin and I assumed it made him look taller. He was just two inches shorter than me… though I am not nearly as “trim” shall we call it. :lol: Thanks again.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Reef monkey »

The promos for the new Night Court (again, a continuation, not a “reboot” as it is often erroneously called) and all the great actors from the original series that aren’t with us anymore, most notably Harry Anderson, who the show was basically created for. If you find his book “Games You Can’t Lose: A Guide For Suckers” for sale second hand, I advise you to snatch it up. Harry died in 2018.

There is also the lovely Markie Post, who played public defender Christine Sullivan for most of the series’ run. She was in the Magnum episode “Dream a Little Dream”. Markie died in 2021.

Charles Robinson, who played clerk Mac, died in 2021.

Richard Moll, who played Bull, Marsha Warfield who played Roz, and of cour John Laroquette, who is on the continuation series, are the only main character actors still alive.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Anthony James was also in an earlier Clint Eastwood western (one of my favorite westerns) HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, where along with Geoffrey Lewis he was one of the 3 creeps terrorizing the town. That gaunt face and bulging crazy eyes are too iconic! Oh, I always found UNFORGIVEN kind of overrated. For me it's one of Clint's lesser westerns. It's basically a celebration of his early Spaghetti westerns, as well as High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Pale Rider, which are all about a mysterious stranger with a dark past. Except I find all those earlier efforts superior. I think UNFORGIVEN tries too hard to top all those and maybe also feels a bit too "modern" for my tastes.

Back to Anthony James - his FIVE-O appearance is absolutely a TV highlight for me! As well as his turn as a member of a murderous hillbilly family on THE BIG VALLEY ("Lady Killer"). He was also a great baddie on a great KNIGHT RIDER episode ("Lost Knight") as well as the HUNTER episode ("Blow Up") as a serial bomber who bombs the grave of Hunter's deceased wife. He was in 3 episodes of THE A-TEAM as well. He was everywhere!

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Reef monkey »

I had no idea who Anthony James was, then I googled him and immediately said “oh THAT guy!”

I have to admit I be never been a huge Clint Eastwood fan. I don’t hate him, but I don’t see him as the American treasure some people do. My favorite of his movies are Where Eagles Dare, Two Mules for Sister Sara (love Shirley MacClaine), and In the Line of Fire (loooo-ooooo-ooooove Rene Russo, had a girlfriend who looked kinda like her senior year of high school when the movie had just come out).
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:38 pm Thanks Dobie!
He appeared in so many roles over the years. I can’t even count the number of times I remember seeing him. I had no idea he was that tall. He was quite thin and I assumed it made him look taller. He was just two inches shorter than me… though I am not nearly as “trim” shall we call it. :lol: Thanks again.

Pahonu,
It they ever start a Magnum Mania basketball team I'm guessing you are making the squad.

terryfromkerry wrote - "Hey Dobie... I do hope you're well on the way to full recovery."

Thank you Terry, hanging in there but still not up to snuff. Anyway, I have been playing with House Money since 1988 when I walked in front a Double-decker bus in Piccadilly Circus as I was looking
the "wrong" way. My buddy Jeff - ex college lineman - hurled me backwards, our collective tonnage knocking down a regiment of Englishmen standing behind us, like bowling pins.
Curses rained down from the bus as the driver slammed the brakes. Jeff gave me a 2 cent piece - in my wallet even now - to remind me that my life wasn't worth 2 cents till he dragged me back,
a cat's whisker away from being struck.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

On Dec.18, 2022 Maggie Thrett passed away.
The name may not be familiar but she more than filled out her role on the Oct.13,1966 episode of Star Trek as one of "Mudd's Women".
As "Ruth", clad in a tight green dress, her long dark hair cascading down to her waist, she was memorably paired with "Eve"(Karen Steele) and "Magda"(Susan Denberg).

Throw in "Harcourt Fenton Mudd" - for my money the very much misunderstood hero of the piece - played by Roger C. Carmel and you had one of the most memorable
episodes of Star Trek.

Karen Steele passed at age 56 from cancer in 1988. Few actresses on film ever looked as radiantly beautiful as she did in the classic Budd Boetticher Western "Ride Lonesome"
starring Randolph Scott. With Lee Van Cleef, James Coburn and Pernell Roberts in the best role of his career, this 1959 gem runs a crisp 73 minutes.
Trust me, check this flick out.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:30 am

From MeTV:

Eighteen-year-old James Anthony moved with his mother, who had raised him by herself since he was eight, from South Carolina to Los Angeles.

James Anthony realized there was already an actor named Jimmy Anthony, so he came up with a stage name that still rang true – Anthony James.

After struggling to make ends meet, including cleaning bathrooms to pay for acting classes, he got his big break as Ralph the diner cook in the pivotal 1967 film In the Heat of the Night,

He then played many roles on television, appearing on Gunsmoke seven times between 1967-1969, recurring four times as Elbert Moses.
He was also in Bonanza, The Mod Squad, Hawaii Five-O and Starsky and Hutch. In 1978, he starred alongside Bette Davis and Christopher Lee in Return to Witch Mountain.

His tall, 6’6” frame and distinguished face won him many villainous roles throughout his career. A year before he retired from acting, he lampooned his evil image as the over-the-top

After playing Skinny Dubois in Clint Eastwood’s Oscar-winning 1992 western Unforgiven, James retired from acting and moved to New England.
He spent his days painting and writing poetry, collecting both in the book Language of the Heart. He later released a memoir about his long career, appropriately titled Acting My Face. The book is as much about his beloved mother, Marika, as it is about himself, going against the advice of publishers.

James passed away on May 26. He was 77. In an obituary announcement, donations in his memory made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and the American Society for the Prevention

Lt. Frank Drebin: Hector Savage. From Detroit. Hey, I remember this pug. Ex-boxer. His real name was Joey Chicago.
Ed Hocken: Oh, yeah. He fought under the name of Kid Minneapolis.
Nordberg: I saw Kid Minneapolis fight once. In Cincinnati.
Lt. Frank Drebin: No you're thinking of Kid New York. He fought out of Philly.
Ed Hocken: He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the Arizona Assassin.
Nordberg: Yeah, from Dakota. I don't remember it was North or South.
Lt. Frank Drebin: North. South Dakota was his brother. From West Virginia.
Ed Hocken: You sure know your boxing.
Lt. Frank Drebin: Welllllll, all I know is never bet on the white guy.

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:54 pm

From MeTV:

He spent his days painting and writing poetry, collecting both in the book Language of the Heart. He later released a memoir about his long career, appropriately titled Acting My Face. The book is as much about his beloved mother, Marika, as it is about himself, going against the advice of publishers.

Lt. Frank Drebin: Hector Savage. From Detroit. Hey, I remember this pug. Ex-boxer. His real name was Joey Chicago.
Ed Hocken: He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the Arizona Assassin.
Hilarious, yet understated scene.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjo0ajod1M

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:23 am

From MeTV:

Chris,
I had forgotten how funny that scene was. I have avoided the films for years because of that murdering vermin, he ruined them for me. Maybe I can get past it now.
When computer effects advance enough, maybe they can replace OJ with another actor. Spielberg said he could envision one day creating "new" Jimmy Stewart
or John Wayne movies. As long as they don't put them battling Spider Man or in the Marvel comics universe.
Thanks for the link Pahonu.

Pahonu

#12 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:10 am

From MeTV:

Chris,
I had forgotten how funny that scene was. I have avoided the films for years because of that murdering vermin, he ruined them for me. Maybe I can get past it now.
When computer effects advance enough, maybe they can replace OJ with another actor. Spielberg said he could envision one day creating "new" Jimmy Stewart
or John Wayne movies. As long as they don't put them battling Spider Man or in the Marvel comics universe.
Hey Dobie,
When I read that dialogue and decided to post that clip I immediately thought of OJ Simpson’s horrendous deeds and a very strange crossing of our paths. In the winter of 1994, between the two seasons I worked in production on Baywatch, I picked up a few other short-term PA jobs. Baywatch shot on a different schedule than most shows to take advantage of the summer weather so I found several weeks work on the Dick VanDyke series Diagnosis Murder, and a few days on a pilot for a TV series called Frogmen staring, you guessed it, OJ.

It was ultimately never released because just months later the murders occurred in June. We worked at a few different locations including Malibu, but I most remember the days at the old Herald Examiner newspaper building in downtown LA. It was a beautiful building designed by the architect of Hearst Castle, Julia Morgan. Anyway, I remember it so well because I met OJ on that location and he seemed like such a nice guy. I even remember telling my wife, then girlfriend, that it was pretty neat meeting him and, again, he was very nice and gracious. That wasn’t the case with some other celebrities that I had worked with.

When the news story broke about the murders, I was in disbelief. It was just so strange knowing I had met and chatted with a murderer! I later read that some of the training he received with weapons for the pilot movie may have helped him to commit the murders!!! :shock: The film was also apparently confiscated by the LAPD and remains unreleased.

The other strange crossing of paths occurred several months later after I returned to the Baywatch production for my second season. David Hasselhoff had created a pay per view show that showcased his singing and featured the Baywatch cast. It sounded totally ridiculous and lame to me, but the kicker is that it was scheduled for the same night as the OJ Bronco slow speed chase. Of course no one was watching and it was a giant bomb. I remember Hasselhoff complaining on the set about the unbelievably bad timing and how much money he lost!

It’s been a long time since I’ve thought of those things!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:35 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:10 am Chris,
Hey Dobie,
When I read that dialogue and decided to post that clip I immediately thought of OJ Simpson’s horrendous deeds and a very strange crossing of our paths. In the winter of 1994, between the two seasons I worked in production on Baywatch, I picked up a few other short-term PA jobs. Baywatch shot on a different schedule than most shows to take advantage of the summer weather so I found several weeks work on the Dick VanDyke series Diagnosis Murder, and a few days on a pilot for a TV series called Frogmen staring, you guessed it, OJ.

It was ultimately never released because just months later the murders occurred in June. We worked at a few different locations including Malibu, but I most remember the days at the old Herald Examiner newspaper building in downtown LA. It was a beautiful building designed by the architect of Hearst Castle, Julia Morgan. Anyway, I remember it so well because I met OJ on that location and he seemed like such a nice guy. I even remember telling my wife, then girlfriend, that it was pretty neat meeting him and, again, he was very nice and gracious. That wasn’t the case with some other celebrities that I had worked with.

When the news story broke about the murders, I was in disbelief. It was just so strange knowing I had met and chatted with a murderer! I later read that some of the training he received with weapons for the pilot movie may have helped him to commit the murders!!! :shock: The film was also apparently confiscated by the LAPD and remains unreleased.

The other strange crossing of paths occurred several months later after I returned to the Baywatch production for my second season. David Hasselhoff had created a pay per view show that showcased his singing and featured the Baywatch cast. It sounded totally ridiculous and lame to me, but the kicker is that it was scheduled for the same night as the OJ Bronco slow speed chase. Of course no one was watching and it was a giant bomb. I remember Hasselhoff complaining on the set about the unbelievably bad timing and how much money he lost!

It’s been a long time since I’ve thought of those things!
Thank you Pahonu, like everyone here I always look forward to your Hollywood stories. That must have been deeply weird for you watching the chase.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:10 am

From MeTV:

Chris,
In the commentary for the movie, when OJ is sneaking around the docks, one of the guys (Zucker or Weiss the producer) asks the other,
"Is this actual footage of OJ or is this the movie?"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Hey Dobie, here's an interesting one for ya... who would you rather get stuck in a cab with... O.J. or Lenny Dykstra? :shock: The latter might not try to kill you. But he might hire someone. :wink: