Man In A Suitcase

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mr. Mike
Commander

Man In A Suitcase

#1 Post by Mr. Mike »

I chose one episode of this late 1960s British series to review, having become fed up with Ironside, but was equally disappointed. The following description comes from the show's Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_a_Suitcase

Man in a Suitcase was effectively a replacement for Danger Man, whose production had been curtailed when its star Patrick McGoohan had decided to create his own series, The Prisoner. Many of the Danger Man production crew moved over to Man in a Suitcase, which was initially to be titled McGill after its lead character. As with several ITC productions, the series was to use an American star in an attempt to boost the show's sales in the US. An early choice was Jack Lord, but the part of McGill eventually went to Richard Bradford, a method actor who was spotted after appearing opposite Marlon Brando in the 1966 movie The Chase.

McGill was a former US intelligence agent, who had been forced to resign from the service six years before the opening episode, having been practically accused of treason. Unable to clear his name or return to the US, McGill makes ends meet by working as a travelling private detective and bounty hunter based in Britain, living out of his suitcase (hence the title). His cases generally took him to different parts of Europe, and on a couple of occasions to Africa.

==========

The Wikipedia article discusses the pilot episode, providing back story for McGill, the show's main character.

I have some comments of my own on the episode I watched at the end of the one episode I did review, which is mostly a description of the plot.

http://www.mjq.net/suitcase

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Man In A Suitcase

#2 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mr. Mike wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:16 pm I chose one episode of this late 1960s British series to review, having become fed up with Ironside, but was equally disappointed. The following description comes from the show's Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_a_Suitcase

Man in a Suitcase was effectively a replacement for Danger Man, whose production had been curtailed when its star Patrick McGoohan had decided to create his own series, The Prisoner. Many of the Danger Man production crew moved over to Man in a Suitcase, which was initially to be titled McGill after its lead character. As with several ITC productions, the series was to use an American star in an attempt to boost the show's sales in the US. An early choice was Jack Lord, but the part of McGill eventually went to Richard Bradford, a method actor who was spotted after appearing opposite Marlon Brando in the 1966 movie The Chase.

McGill was a former US intelligence agent, who had been forced to resign from the service six years before the opening episode, having been practically accused of treason. Unable to clear his name or return to the US, McGill makes ends meet by working as a travelling private detective and bounty hunter based in Britain, living out of his suitcase (hence the title). His cases generally took him to different parts of Europe, and on a couple of occasions to Africa.

==========

The Wikipedia article discusses the pilot episode, providing back story for McGill, the show's main character.

I have some comments of my own on the episode I watched at the end of the one episode I did review, which is mostly a description of the plot.

http://www.mjq.net/suitcase
I've heard of this show before, mostly because its title is kinda funny. :) Like, what's that all about?? But of course it's about a man living out of a suitcase. Oh, and he's a SPY! :) But that's about it for me. I remember Richard Bradford in the 1987 Brian DePalma flick THE UNTOUCHABLES.