Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#136 Post by KENJI »

Great P.I. work Sam!
Did John play the same character in both HFO episodes?
Was John a personal guest of Wo Fat in this episode or was this his estate for this episode or???
I'll have to watch these old HFO episodes some day!!!

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#137 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Agatha wrote: Anyway...back a couple of months ago somebody said that the actor who played Lt. Tanaka...can't say his name right now and didn't do my research before I started my post...was a bad guy on Hawaii 5-0. So I put that series on my Netflix queue and have started to watch them. Of course, I later realized that Tanaka doesn't show up until the later seasons but I started with Season 1 so I'll get to him sooner or later
I'm only up to Season 4. I just been watching 4.3 "Wednesday, Ladies Free"

Soon-Tek Oh (Gen. Hue/Michelle's Vietnamese husband) & Kwan Hi Lim (Lt. Tanaka) both appear in the episode.

Guess what Soon-Tek Oh character's name is in the episode?

Tanaka :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#138 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great screen caps TM!

Wow, young Kwan Hi Lim here looks a little like Daniel Dae Kim, Chin in the new Hawaii Five-0! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#139 Post by Sam »

I noticed today that Jorie Remus,Roy Chambers landlady in "Eighth Part of a Village" also appeared in HFO as a landlady in "season ten "Deep Cover".The old broad was tougher in the HFO episode.She was able to confront Chin Ho and Duke with just her index finger whereas she needed a handgun for TM and TC.

Last edited by Sam on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#140 Post by ThomasMagnum »

I found another one. Episode 4.4 "3,000 Crooked Miles to Honolulu"

Glenn Cannon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Cannon) - he appears in many Magnum episodes including 1.7 "Never Again ... Never Again" when Rick is dressed up as a Sushi delivery guy and they find the dead doctor in the house? that's him.

According to IMDB, he appears in many Hawaii Five-O episodes including 2.20 and 3.17 but this is the first time I've noticed him. (I'm only up to 4.4).

The funny thing is, he is not mentioned by IMDB in this episode.

and he also appeared in Lost! :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#141 Post by J.J. Walters »

ThomasMagnum wrote:According to IMDB, he appears in many Hawaii Five-O episodes including 2.20 and 3.17 but this is the first time I've noticed him. (I'm only up to 4.4).
You'll soon come to know him as Doc Ibold! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#142 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:
ThomasMagnum wrote:According to IMDB, he appears in many Hawaii Five-O episodes including 2.20 and 3.17 but this is the first time I've noticed him. (I'm only up to 4.4).
You'll soon come to know him as Doc Ibold! :)
Fear the Doc.. respect the Doc.... but never underestimate the Doc.

LOL

:lol:

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#143 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Ok so I've noticed an actor in the MPI episode "The Arrow That Is Not Aimed" that appears in several Hawaii Five-O episodes. His name is Tommy Fujiwara, Rick & T.C. go talk to him get info for Magnum. He offers them tea at some point.

I'm pretty sure that in one HFO episode, he's a PI :lol: He also appears in many other MPI episodes according to IMDB.

Also Doc Ibold makes another appearance in Episode 4.8

There's also this other actor, Al Harrington, who appears in "Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too"

According to IMDB, he also appears in the new HFO.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#144 Post by Little Garwood »

ThomasMagnum wrote:There's also this other actor, Al Harrington, who appears in "Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too"

You're aware that Harrington played regular Five-O team member Ben Kokua during seasons 5-7, right?
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#145 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Little Garwood wrote:
ThomasMagnum wrote:There's also this other actor, Al Harrington, who appears in "Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too"

You're aware that Harrington played regular Five-O team member Ben Kokua during seasons 5-7, right?
No, I haven't gotten that far yet . I'm up to 4.9 :lol:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#146 Post by Sam »

Here is a nice story on James MacArthur.

http://www.midweek.com/content/columns/ ... MacArthur/

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#147 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Little Garwood wrote:As someone who was born in 1971, I should have had some kind of contact watching Hawaii Five-O, which seemed to be on in primetime and syndication forever. But I never saw the show as a kid. I knew there was such a show, and I knew the theme song and the catchphrase "Book 'em, Danno!" was also known by me. But I never saw an episode until around 1989, when my grandmother was watching it every afternoon on our local affiliate station. I started tuning in and enjoyed the 1960s-70s atmosphere of the show, the interesting musical scores heard in many episodes and the emphasis on international intrigue-type stories. As a MPI fan, this was know as the "other" show that took place in Hawaii. I've since grown to love the show and have the first three seasons on DVD. I've become obsessed with the era since I gave it little or no thought as a child and I'm fascinated by the fact that Five-O took us through the entire decade of the 1970s and even into 1980, having ended its twelve-year run in April, 1980. If you watch the last couple of seasons, you'll see a MPI-ness creeping in. At least i do. The Estate was featured from almost the beginning, as were many actors and stock players who would later appear on MPI. The show's twelfth season is tantalizingly close to MPI, and one can almost envision the ferrai driving by as McGarrett and team take on the "Syndicate" or Wo Fat.

So, let this be a thread to discuss any and all things related to Hawaii Five-O!
This describes my first encounters and discovery of the famous show almost identically!! I too had never seen the show...although I'd heard all about it, until it began airing reruns on the original Family Channel in 1997 or so. I started watching it, and immediately fell in love with it! :D

I too love the era and the atmosphere the show created. I love cars, so watching and studying all the old cars the main characters, as well as the bad guys, drove is also fun for me. :wink:

I did not realize the tie-ins between "5-0" and "Magnum" until a few years ago. I too agree that a small bit of the "Magnum" style was implemented in some of the last season of "5-0". Yes, the Robin Masters Estate on "Magnum" was first shown tons of times on "5-0". Many of the same actors first guest-starred on "5-0" and then later on "Magnum". Producers of "Magnum" tried to get Jack Lord to make a few guest appearances as McGarrett again (as the first several seasons of "Magnum" still refer to the old show and McGarrett) but Lord refused. Once his beloved "5-0" went off the air, Lord pretty much became a recluse...hardly making any public appearances until his untimely death in 1998.

"Hawaii Five-0" will always be one of the most superb and awesome cop/action dramas in TV history--with constant action, the beautiful tropical scenery of Hawaii, captivating vibrant colors, cool cars, interesting characters, superb plots, oustanding cinematography, etc...it will always be one of my all-time favorites!

I have the first 10 seasons on DVD...and according to TVShowsOnDVD.com today, a supposed release date for season 11 has been set for September 20th!! :D This has not been officially confirmed but websites such as Amazon list the date and you can already pre-order if you wish.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#148 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Woooow! Amazing all these cross-overs!!!
I have never noticed them, but then again it is more than 10 years since I watched Hawaii 5-0.

The Asian characters were very busy in those days, with most of them appearing also in M*A*S*H as various Koreans... :lol:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#149 Post by Sam »

I found this youtube yesterday on some of the HFO filming locations that some of you may find interesting.

The other interesting thing is,this Randy guy,is the cat that owns the MPI surfski.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piqaqN1auzE

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#150 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Thanks for posting this.
I liked the way he put the lei round Jack Lord's statue....