Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Little Garwood »

Just a reminder that the sixth season of Hawaii Five-O is due next tuesday, April 21st! Who knows how many more scenes the estate will get?
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#22 Post by Italian Ice »

I saw this show a few times when I was a kid, but don't remember many of them. I just downloaded the first season and went through most of it. The show is a lot more darker than MPI and more disturbing as well, but a very good show for it's time.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Italian Ice

#23 Post by Italian Ice »

Oh, and Nancy Kwan from the Pilot would have made a great Magnum babe! :)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm staked out by the mailbox in my replica blue gabardine McGarrett suit awaiting the arrival of my sixth season DVDs... :lol:

~Tom Selleck

Italian Ice

#25 Post by Italian Ice »

Have to admit, the acting was a little cheesy at times, so were the effects. It makes you laugh today, but still, this show was a classic.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Little Garwood »

Italian Ice wrote:Have to admit, the acting was a little cheesy at times, so were the effects. It makes you laugh today, but still, this show was a classic.
Yeah, Magnum sure could be...oh, wait, you meant Five-O!!! :wink:

~Tom Selleck

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Steve »

I try and watch it as (until a schedule change today) H-50 was on back to back with Magnum, PI. I normally just have it on to catch a glimpse of any locations used in both episodes. I will say this, the acting by the main characters was very dry to the point where I am wondering if it ws trying to be Dragnet in Paradise. The guest stars are incredible, however and I can see how it was a hit series.......

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Little Garwood »

I agree about some of the regulars, but McGarrett could be quite emotional and Danno had his moments, too. Jack Lord had worked with many Hollywood heavyweights before landing Five-O and he had the acting chops to prove it. Watch him in the 1958 movie Man of the West opposite Gary Cooper. You'll never see Lord as far removed from Steve McGarrett as in that role. And to be fair, many of the Hawaiians obviously weren't actors but there was no "acting infrastructure" on the islands back then; Five-O was truly the first of its kind in that it was filmed there. MPI benefitted from this, and it was a class act move to have Magnum reference H5O with regularity. CBS knew that the older show had a devoted following and they were smart to link the two programs. I would have loved to have seen a Danny Williams appearance on MPI, if only on a cameo or "wink wink" basis.

~Tom Selleck

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Steve »

Right you are, Little G. I have watched some episodes where Jack Lord was amazing. I think I just imagine it dry because he is in those awful Botany 500 suits that so many TV actors wore back then......LOL.......I shouldn't compare it to Magnum as they are two different animals but I would have loved to have seen a crossover episode as well where McGarrett and Magnum take out Wo Fat once and for all (I'm assuming he got away after being locked away in the very last Hawaii Five-O)

Italian Ice

#30 Post by Italian Ice »

Well, one effect was in "Yesterday Died and Tomorrow won't be born"
Just watched this one for the 1st time. McGarrett gets shot a few times, no blood or holes in his clothes. Maybe TV had to censor this stuff in those days. This was also the 1st Season by the way.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Little Garwood »

Italian Ice wrote:Well, one effect was in "Yesterday Died and Tomorrow won't be born"
Just watched this one for the 1st time. McGarrett gets shot a few times, no blood or holes in his clothes. Maybe TV had to censor this stuff in those days. This was also the 1st Season by the way.
At the moment, I can't think of any TV show from the 1970s or even the eighties that showed much blood. TV has always had lots of fistfights and shootouts, but very little blood, at least in the period of television history that I watch. I don't watch any modern TV, so I have no idea of what 24 or CSI show.

~Tom Selleck

Italian Ice

#32 Post by Italian Ice »

Hey LG. I noticed that Samurai is one of your favorites. When I saw that one, it took a 2nd look to figure out who was playing Tokura. I wanted to know what your take was on the comments on IMBD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0598132/

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Little Garwood »

Italian Ice wrote:Hey LG. I noticed that Samurai is one of your favorites. When I saw that one, it took a 2nd look to figure out who was playing Tokura. I wanted to know what your take was on the comments on IMBD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0598132/
I accept it in context of the time in which the show was filmed. There was nothing disrespectful about Montalban's portrayal per se, but having a westerner portraying an asian when a show is filmed in the pacific, where asian actors must have been available is insulting. But every show reflects its contemporary attitudes and Montalban had already played an asian. He's also better known than most asian-american actors, but I guess James Hong, Philip Ahn, and James Shigeta were all busy!

~Tom Selleck

Italian Ice

#34 Post by Italian Ice »

James Shigeta would show up a few episodes later....

James Hong is funny in Balls of Fury(not a good movie though) and Seinfeld, also cracks me up in "Forty".

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Little Garwood »

BTW, watch for Remi Abellira ("Moki" from MPI) as a child grow up on Five-O. His first appearance is in S2 "Blind Tiger" and then he has his "juiciest" role in S3's "Trouble in Mind" and then in S4's No Bottles, No Cans, No People." He also shows up in subsequent seasons.

~Tom Selleck