Square Pegs is coming to DVD!

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

grundle
Admiral

Square Pegs is coming to DVD!

#1 Post by grundle »

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Square ... eries/9059

Square Pegs - Early Sarah Jessica Parker Series from '82 Comes to DVD at Last!

Sony planning release to coincide with film debut of Sex and the City: The Movie

Posted by David Lambert

2/25/2008

In 1982, long before Sex and the City, and before roles in films like Honeymoon in Vegas, Flight of the Navigator and Footloose, Sarah Jessica Parker first came to national attention in the short-lived CBS series Square Pegs. The show co-starred Amy Linker (D.A.R.Y.L.), and the cast also included Jami Gertz (Twister, ER, Still Standing), Tracy Nelson (Father Dowling Mysteries) and Merritt Butrick (Star Trek III: The Search For Spock). The show's theme song was by The Waitresses, who appeared in the first episode.

Other guest stars in the program's 20-episode run included Don Novello (as "Father Guido Sarducci"), disc jockey Richard Blade, John Densmore (the drummer from The Doors), popular '80s music group DEVO, Tony Dow (Leave It To Beaver), Martin Mull (Mr. Mom, Roseanne, Sabrina the Teenage Witch), Bill Murray (Saturday Night Live, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters), Steve Sax...and the rest of the Los Angeles Dodgers!

With Sarah Jessica Parker back to theaters soon in Sex and the City: The Movie, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has finally decided that it's time to bring Square Pegs - The Complete Series to DVD! All 20 episodes are coming to a 3-disc set which includes an exclusive new interview with Parker, along with a couple of "minisodes" (3-6 minute super-short versions of regular Sony-owned television episodes from classic primetime shows).

Cost will be $29.95 SRP, and the street date is May 20th (about a week and a half before Sex and the City: The Movie hits the box office). Video is full-frame, audio is English - Stereo, and Subtitles will be in French. Running time is approximately 460 minutes. It's still a few weeks before the folks at Sony formally announce this, so all info is taken from an early heads-up sent to retailers, and is subject to change. Especially the box art shown below, but we'll give you a look at it anyway:

Square Pegs - The Complete Series early box art

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by grapeshot »

I remember watching this show when it aired. My recollection is that it was pretty sharply written, and I thought it had a very talented cast.

I'll probably get this set; I'm sure it will be chock full of 80's zeitgeist.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

I don't think I've ever seen an episode . . . will that cancel out that I've seen Blossom?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

I remember Square Pegs. Don't think I saw more than one or two episodes, though. My wife remembers all of them.

I wouldn't mind watching it now, if anything just for Sarah Jessica Parker and Jami Gertz.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I remember the theme song more than the show. My wife really liked it though.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MACattack »

wasn't Merritt Buttrick in STAR TREK2: THE WRATH OF KHAN?
I just don't give a damn!

MikeS
Admiral

Re:

#7 Post by MikeS »

ConchRepublican wrote:I don't think I've ever seen an episode . . . will that cancel out that I've seen Blossom?
Speaking of Blossom, the episode "Sitcom" is kinda funny. In short, Nick's (Ted Wass) friend has some connection to the TV industry and they pitch a show that resembles Nick's own family, and as is the case in real life the show winds up looking nothing like they originally wrote it. It starts out as "The Russos" but winds up "Rosie". Rosie is a chimp PI. The funny part is as Nick and his real family get a copy of the pilot episode and sit down to watch it, there she is, Rosie, a chimp, wearing a sorta Magnum'esque' shirt, twirling a gun as the credits roll along the screen, something like -- Rosie, C.H.I.M. PI. I'm close, I've only seen it once, about 2 weeks ago.

Discovery Family Channel (DirecTV channel 294) will air it again tonight at midnight PT -- thought I would mention it seeing Monday is a holiday.

I liked the main idea of Blossom, single dad, in the music biz, raising his family alone after his wife walks out -- I'd hoped for more music related plots. One of my favorite eps is "The Thrill is Gone", seeing BB King jam was fun. Melissa Manchester played the kids mother. Overall, the early eps were fun, watching Blossom and Six riff was enjoyable (some would say annoying). WHOA, Joey was funny. I wanted more music like the BB King jam, I'd even take another episode where Joey Lawrence has his real life video aired. Instead, the show gets dark, Tony's back on drugs, Six becomes an alcoholic, and so on...

The second incarnation of the Blossom theme was my fave, the closing credits guitar riff is cool, not as tight as the Becker theme but pretty good. Mike Post had something to do with it IIRC.

I figured Mayim Bialik would make a bigger splash, she was a talented kid. First time I saw her was the young bette Midler in 'Beaches'. She was born in San Diego too :)

DFC is rerunning Blossom, I enjoy the early episodes the best, this appears to be my MO for most shows. I figure if you start with a comedy -- keep it a comedy for goodness sake -- and quit trying to address EVERY SINGLE ISSUE THAT EXISTS IN THE WORLD! This seems to be the way kids shows are written anymore -- everyone gets a prize.
MikeS