It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:32 pm 
Fleet Admiral

James J. Walters wrote:
Hey, if you guys get a chance please post some good screen caps. I'm thinking real hard about maybe buying this set myself. An iconic show if there ever was one.

By the way, welcome back Little Garwood!

If I knew how to do that, I would! :D

Thanks for the welcome back, James!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:54 pm 
Fleet Admiral

The third season due out this month! I just got the second season for my birthday (for $24.99; it's becoming an annual tradition) and I can say that it's a noticeable improvement over the first year, when they had the "Intertect" concept. Mannix is a program that is growing on me. Fun show with great music scores.

~Tom Selleck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:51 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Mannix gets better with each season! If you didn't like the 1st season with its "Intertect" angle, the second and third seasons find the program hugely improved! It's a breath of fresh air! They're getting off the Paramount lot more often and the music (by Gerald Fried, Robert Drasnin, and Richard Markowitz) has been stellar. This season is 1969-70 and the clothes on the women are great, Gail Fisher looks great---what a voice, too--and there's lots of familiar TV guest stars.

~Tom Selleck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:35 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Good news! Mannix season five is scheduled for a July 5, 2011 release!

~Tom Selleck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:36 pm 
Fleet Admiral

I have to wonder if those of us here of a certain age who watched Magnum were, say, ten years older, that this site might be called "Mannix-Mania. :wink:

Joe Mannix passed the great tradition of the American private investigator to Jim Rockford, who passed it on to Thomas Magnum.

~Tom Selleck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:01 am 
Fleet Admiral

Little Garwood wrote:
I have to wonder if those of us here of a certain age who watched Magnum were, say, ten years older, that this site might be called "Mannix-Mania. :wink:

Joe Mannix passed the great tradition of the American private investigator to Jim Rockford, who passed it on to Thomas Magnum.

Lol! That's very true.

I'm kind of a Mannix newbie. I have only seen a few episodes, but enjoy the show very much.

Has anyone seen a TV movie Mike made called Beg, Borrow or Steal, which is about three disabled guys pulling off a museum heist? it's excellent.

What I think is so interesting about Mannix is his secratary Peggy. You hardly ever hear anything about the actress, but she was one of the first black actresses to have a recurring part on television. I always thought she was such a trailblazer. I loved that their relationship just was, there was nothing political about it. It was so well done and fairly progressive for the time.

And how is it, I didn't remember this show was created by Levinson and Link, my two favorite TV guys! I need to really sit down and watch this series!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:04 am 
Fleet Admiral

AmandaByNight wrote:
I'm kind of a Mannix newbie. I have only seen a few episodes, but enjoy the show very much.

Has anyone seen a TV movie Mike made called Beg, Borrow or Steal, which is about three disabled guys pulling off a museum heist? it's excellent.

What I think is so interesting about Mannix is his secratary Peggy. You hardly ever hear anything about the actress, but she was one of the first black actresses to have a recurring part on television. I always thought she was such a trailblazer. I loved that their relationship just was, there was nothing political about it. It was so well done and fairly progressive for the time.

And how is it, I didn't remember this show was created by Levinson and Link, my two favorite TV guys! I need to really sit down and watch this series!

I've seen Beg, Borrow, and Steal in the excellent reference book, Movies Made for Television, but have yet to see it. Hopefully, someone like the Warner Archive will release it to dvd.

I have a huge crush on Gail Fisher! She had a lovely speaking voice and just carried herself in a such an attractive way. She's completely forgotten today. What a shame her career didn't continue after Mannix ended.

I was a bit young to watch Mannix during its original run, and didn't get to see my first episode until early 1985, when a local independent channel included Mannix in its late-night lineup.

As for the program itself, the first season is very, shall we say, "1960s America." Lots of smoking, drinking, etc. It's a bit stiff at times, but Mike Connors is of course brilliant, as is Joseph Campanella, who plays his boss in the "Intertect" investigating firm. That concept we be dumped after the first year. I still enjoy it, though.

The show is very much of the late '60s and early '70s, a time period I've had a lifelong fascination with. So a fanatic like me has a lot to enjoy. It's also good to see future stars, established character actors, and former Hollywood movie stars appear in Mannix.

The show has great, jazzy underscore, cool fashions, and some fun plot twists. Don't expect any Magnum PI silliness on Mannix, though the latter does get beat up a lot! The humor on Mannix is subtle and his interaction with Peggy is always a treat. Mike Connors (like Tom Selleck in Magnum) was born to play this role.

~Tom Selleck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:20 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Little Garwood wrote:

I have a huge crush on Gail Fisher! She had a lovely speaking voice and just carried herself in a such an attractive way. She's completely forgotten today. What a shame her career didn't continue after Mannix ended.

I had a crush on Gail Fisher as well and loved the Peggy character. Ms. Fisher and Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhuru) were groundbreaking actresses at the time and, looked incredible in short skirts (an added bonus for us young teenagers going thru puberty). I was born in 1954 so I watched Mannix in it's original run and agee it was a well written, well acted series............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:27 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Little Garwood wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:

I've seen Beg, Borrow, and Steal in the excellent reference book, Movies Made for Television, but have yet to see it. Hopefully, someone like the Warner Archive will release it to dvd.

I was a bit young to watch Mannix during its original run, and didn't get to see my first episode until early 1985, when a local independent channel included Mannix in its late-night lineup.

As for the program itself, the first season is very, shall we say, "1960s America." Lots of smoking, drinking, etc. It's a bit stiff at times, but Mike Connors is of course brilliant, as is Joseph Campanella, who plays his boss in the "Intertect" investigating firm. That concept we be dumped after the first year. I still enjoy it, though.

The show is very much of the late '60s and early '70s, a time period I've had a lifelong fascination with. So a fanatic like me has a lot to enjoy. It's also good to see future stars, established character actors, and former Hollywood movie stars appear in Mannix.

The show has great, jazzy underscore, cool fashions, and some fun plot twists. Don't expect any Magnum PI silliness on Mannix, though the latter does get beat up a lot! The humor on Mannix is subtle and his interaction with Peggy is always a treat. Mike Connors (like Tom Selleck in Magnum) was born to play this role.

That Movies Made for Television book is my bible. It's really the only reference guide I like to use for my tv movie writing.

I love the 60s and 70s as well. It's so interesting, and for me, a little depressing to see how much has changed. The smoking thing I can deal with, but I love the way everyone looked. And I agree, Mike Connors is quite brilliant. He's such a likable presence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:08 pm 
Fleet Admiral

I'm a follower of your blog (C.K. Dexter Haven). I like very much what you write and how you write it!

The edition I have of Movies Made for Television is an early edition--but it doesn't list the network that aired the movie. A small gripe, but I like to know such things.

I'm in a big "M" mood lately with my favorite TV shows: Magnum, Mannix, McGarrett, and Mission: Impossible!

~Tom Selleck

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next