Mannix

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mannix

#41 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve wrote:Wow, I didn't even hear he had passed. I am old enough to remember the original run of the show, I always had a pre-teen crush on Gail Fisher as Peggy. God Speed "Touch" (what a great trivia question)..........I still think the first Magnum theme sounded an awful lot like the opening theme to Mannix... :D
Hi Guys,
It's been over 40 years since I saw it but I recall Connors did his Mannix character on one of the color Lucy series - The Lucy Show? - that ran in the 1960's and 1970's. A constant was Gale Gordon as Lucy's boss, eventually her 2 real life kids replaced her previous "family" in the last version. Lucy also had Colonel Hogan and Sgt. Schultz in a episode, though how they mixed the 2 fictional settings I can't remember but it must have been bizarre.
Gail Fisher went to Metuchen High in NJ, hailing from the Potters Field area of Edison which, as when she grew up, is the "Black" side of town. She was the first African American in history to star in a national tv commercial.
Fisher was a significant figure in that millions of Americans saw for the first time a classy, educated Black woman whose white boss respected and had affection for as a fully realized human being. Mannix dwarfed Star Trek in the ratings and ran far longer so 'Peggy' was more important at the time than Uhura, though of course in reruns Star Trek became part of the culture worldwide while Mannix has faded.
My family never missed an episode when I was growing up and I agree with you guys, the theme was awesome. Production values were always good and the color was beautiful.
Plus back then tv series weren't so stage bound and actually filmed outside most of the time, as a bonus you get to see the world as it was, period cars, incredibly low prices in the supermarket, etc.
It's also fun on occasion to spot the child actor who later became a star, like Helen Hunt portraying Murray's daughter on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
It just now occurs to me but I believe "Mannix" appeared more than once on Murder She Wrote.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by KingKC »

IMDb shows that Mike Connors appeared in three episodes of Murder She Wrote. One was in 1989 and two were in 1995. My wife and I are currently watching reruns of Murder She Wrote and it is amazing the number of big name actors that appeared on that show.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#43 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote:I will post screen caps of Tom's insanely-brief and laughably-framed scene from the S8 Mannix episode "Design for Dying" but the pictures won't do him justice except for the fact that we hear his distinctive "Little Voice"! Even Larry Manetti's role in his episode was showier!
If anyone doubts that Selleck paid his dues before finally hitting it big on MPI needs to see his all-too-brief part on Mannix to truly appreciate what he had to go through. Selleck must be one of the great "Never Say Die" actors of all time.
Hi Garwood,
I just watched "Design For Living"(1975), season 8 episode 22 when it ran on Me-TV this morning at 2 AM. Below average episode, probably because everyone
knew the series wasn't coming back. Tom Selleck is Don Brady and as you noted, he's onscreen for maybe 20 seconds as he is interviewed by a newswoman
on a beach about a drowning he witnessed.
So Garwood, it's been 7 years, where are the screen caps you promised?
:)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#44 Post by K Hale »

Little Garwood wrote:Guess who showed up in the sixth season of Mannix?

John Hillerman as not-so-nice-guy Larry Lawton in Light and Shadow, which aired December 17, 1972. He has a relatively small part, but he does get to verbally abuse Joe Mannix.

Hillerman has two more appearances on Mannix, seasons seven and eight. I have seven on the way and eight is due to be released in December.

It looks like Little Garwood's uploads have disappeared so I made this composite showing JH's three roles on Mannix. He played villains all three times, two different hit men and a shady society gossip columnist.

I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Little Garwood »

Mannix “predicted” two future film classics:

To Kill a Memory (S6; Oct 29, 1972) is a bizarre, delightfully hallucinatory precursor to Apocalypse Now. This episode’s guest star, Martin Sheen, plays a Vietnam veteran in what could be a dress rehearsal for the Francis Ford Coppola film. Sheen's "Alex Lachlan" character even has a scene in which he's lying down and looking vacantly at the ceiling while blearily reciting dialogue. (Yes, I know Apocalypse Now is based on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad).

The Empty Tower (S8; Feb 16, 1975) is a precursor to Die Hard, with Joe Mannix conducting actions against a heist gang who are robbing every office in an empty skyscraper. Well directed by Bill Bixby. It's unlikely--though not impossible--that the Die Hard producers ripped off this episode since S8 of Mannix is said to have never been aired in syndication.

I really enjoy seasons 6-8 the most, but the first year is fantastic, too. Actually, I like every season save for season 5, which, ironically, was the show’s highest rated season!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:39 pm Mannix “predicted” two future film classics:
To Kill a Memory (S6; Oct 29, 1972) is a bizarre, delightfully hallucinatory precursor to Apocalypse Now. This episode’s guest star, Martin Sheen, plays a Vietnam veteran in what could be a dress rehearsal for the Francis Ford Coppola film. Sheen's "Alex Lachlan" character even has a scene in which he's lying down and looking vacantly at the ceiling while blearily reciting dialogue. (Yes, I know Apocalypse Now is based on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad).
The Empty Tower (S8; Feb 16, 1975) is a precursor to Die Hard, with Joe Mannix conducting actions against a heist gang who are robbing every office in an empty skyscraper. Well directed by Bill Bixby. It's unlikely--though not impossible--that the Die Hard producers ripped off this episode since S8 of Mannix is said to have never been aired in syndication.
I really enjoy seasons 6-8 the most, but the first year is fantastic, too. Actually, I like every season save for season 5, which, ironically, was the show’s highest rated season!
Did you mean at the time Die Hard was released - 1988 - season eight of Mannix wasn't being rerun? Or it has never been in syndication?
Along with the rest of season 8, "The Empty Tower" can be seen on MeTV.
Do you know if Mannix and Die Hard were produced by the same studio?
Because Hollywood has a history of poaching properties it already owns. For instance there is an episode of Cheyenne that was a shameless
remake of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Now don't start chucking rocks at me fans of classic movies, but it was good, really good!
The New Mike Hammer with Stacy Keach raided the vaults to remake some of the greatest film noir ever for it's episodes.
Home Alone brazenly stole from the Bonanza episode "Walter and the Outlaws" and it's sequel episode.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Little Garwood »

Luther’s nephew Dobie wrote: Did you mean at the time Die Hard was released - 1988 - season eight of Mannix wasn't being rerun?
Mannix S8 had not been in syndication in the years before, during, and probably not for some years after Die Hard’s release.
Luther’s nephew Dobie wrote:
Do you know if Mannix and Die Hard were produced by the same studio?
Mannix was a Desilu and later Paramount production. Die Hard was 20th Century Fox. Apocalypse Now was produced by Coppola’s American Zoetrope.

“He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field commanding troops.”

“Terminate with extreme prejudice.”
:wink:

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:39 pm Mannix “predicted” two future film classics:

"The Empty Tower" is a superb episode! Of course I also think DIE HARD is the greatest action movie of all time. So naturally I would love this episode. Bill Bixby's fall at the end was pretty hair-raising too, especially for mid-70s television. Of course Hans Gruber also fell off the skyscraper so the similarities keep mounting. It's the only episode from season 8 that I've seen but it might just be the greatest MANNIX episode that I've seen.

There was also the skiing episode "Cold Trail" which was fantastic. I love the slopes and I do ski so that alone piqued my interests. But the entire storyline was great and then there was the car chase to end all car chases. Brilliant!

The season 2 opener with the deaf-mute witness is another of my very favorites. Also a big fan of the pilot which has a movie quality feel to it, especially towards the end in that tower/staircase thingy where Mannix is trying to rescue Barbara Anderson.

The one weird thing about the show is that every season there's some nutcase that served with Mannix in Korea who's out to get him. This makes ZERO sense. Ok, maybe one. Or two, at a real stretch. But as it was it's like Mannix's entire platoon was comprised of psychos who feel they were wronged by Mannix somehow. :roll: I understand the need for revenge stories and that's fine - there are so many scenarios you could come up with here. Someone Mannix sent to the slammer, someone who Mannix cut off on the road, someone whose case Mannix lost, someone who hates PI's, whatever. But to go down to that same well of having someone Mannix served with in Korea is not just lazy but stupid.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:52 pm

"The Empty Tower" is a superb episode! Of course I also think DIE HARD is the greatest action movie of all time. So naturally I would love this episode. Bill Bixby's fall at the end was pretty hair-raising too, especially for mid-70s television. Of course Hans Gruber also fell off the skyscraper so the similarities keep mounting. It's the only episode from season 8 that I've seen but it might just be the greatest MANNIX episode that I've seen.
There was also the skiing episode "Cold Trail" which was fantastic. I love the slopes and I do ski so that alone piqued my interests. But the entire storyline was great and then there was the car chase to end all car chases. Brilliant!
The season 2 opener with the deaf-mute witness is another of my very favorites. Also a big fan of the pilot which has a movie quality feel to it, especially towards the end in that tower/staircase thingy where Mannix is trying to rescue Barbara Anderson.
The one weird thing about the show is that every season there's some nutcase that served with Mannix in Korea who's out to get him. This makes ZERO sense. Ok, maybe one. Or two, at a real stretch. But as it was it's like Mannix's entire platoon was comprised of psychos who feel they were wronged by Mannix somehow. :roll: I understand the need for revenge stories and that's fine - there are so many scenarios you could come up with here. Someone Mannix sent to the slammer, someone who Mannix cut off on the road, someone whose case Mannix lost, someone who hates PI's, whatever. But to go down to that same well of having someone Mannix served with in Korea is not just lazy but stupid.
Ivan the Terrible you ain't, most excellent post. The deaf mute episode was awesome. The end credits mention the woman lead is from a LA theater company for the deaf. It's too bad
she didn't get more parts on TV, but even now you don't see deaf people on screen. An aside that I think is interesting. I am in the Lions, we help the Blind and are involved in sight conservation.
When you ask a Blind person who is also deaf which sense they would rather have restored, almost every single one prefers to have their hearing restored. They feel more part of things, you can joke
and hear your loved ones voices and more easily share your wants, hear music, give your opinions, be HEARD in every way, you no longer feel like "the other", you can participate.
As for Mannix and the Korean vets, you gave me a good laugh, at least none were in a dress like Corporal Klinger.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#50 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:32 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:52 pm

Ivan the Terrible you ain't, most excellent post. The deaf mute episode was awesome. The end credits mention the woman lead is from a LA theater company for the deaf. It's too bad
she didn't get more parts on TV, but even now you don't see deaf people on screen. An aside that I think is interesting. I am in the Lions, we help the Blind and are involved in sight conservation.
When you ask a Blind person who is also deaf which sense they would rather have restored, almost every single one prefers to have their hearing restored. They feel more part of things, you can joke
and hear your loved ones voices and more easily share your wants, hear music, give your opinions, be HEARD in every way, you no longer feel like "the other", you can participate.
As for Mannix and the Korean vets, you gave me a good laugh, at least none were in a dress like Corporal Klinger.
Hey Dobie,

As you’re in the Lions Club, I have a question I’ve wanted to ask a member for quite some time. When I was in high school in the 80’s, an elderly neighbor of ours told me that he had participated in the drafting of the UN Charter in San Francisco as a member of the Lions! Beyond being super impressed then, and perhaps more so today as a US History teacher, I was wondering if you had any information about this? I haven’t thought about this in many years but thought I’d ask.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Little Garwood »

I sincerely hope that the “UN Charter-Lions Club” discussion can be had in its own thread. :wink:

Here are two of my favorite writeups about Mannix. The first is from the WaPo article that may very well have been responsible for getting Mannix on DVD:

”Mannix was the last of a certain type of American manhood, circa early '70s. He wore a tie and a wistful smile. He did not know doubt but was a friend of irony. He didn't worry about giving women "their space," and he wasn't "in touch with his feelings." He was kind to small dogs, little old ladies, and femmes fatales in deep trouble and short skirts.

“He drove too fast, drank too much and smoked like he got paid for it. He slugged people and shot guys and never got pulled in by the cops. "The body count, even in the first few minutes of the show, could sometimes be appalling," notes one television reference guide. This was the era of "Who loves ya, baby?" "Book 'em, Danno!" and "This tape will self-destruct in five seconds."

"Mannix was great, just great -- one of the last unapologetically masculine and completely unrealistic American icons, at least in the myths we tell ourselves on television. Cops and detectives got cute or complicated later on, and there really hasn't been much on television like it since.

"It debuted at a turbulent time in American culture, 1967, and Joe Mannix was pretty much a modernized Lone Ranger -- no wife, no kids, no pets, no political views, no close friends. He was hip enough to listen to jazz and to mock himself as "a hard- boiled detective in the classical tradition," but traditional enough to wear a coat and tie and to have good manners."

—————————————-

The second is by DVDTalk reviewer Paul Mavis, whose words could very well serve as my own “Mannix Manifesto.” Mr. Mavis perfctly expresses his affection for the late-60s-to-mid-70s TV action show in his review for Mannix Season Seven:

“I've written reviews for the past four seasons of Mannix (please click here to read those), and since stylistically (as always) this seventh season differs not at all from previous outings (the producers stay remarkably consistent with the "Mannix formula"), I'm not going to go over the same ground again here.

“After all...who's out there reading these old TV reviews, anyway? Is it all the Pendleton shirts-and-sandals kids who drive around in their hot rods listening to their "hey, baby!" jazz music, hanging out at the malt shop discussing Archer and Justified? Is it the young, crew-cutted technocrats with their slide rulers and rocket fuel tabulating machines, arguing over Tosh.0?

“Is it that college girl on summer break down the street who knows exactly what she's doing to all the guys in the neighborhood when she keeps insisting on washing her new Camaro in her string bikini? Hell, no; they wouldn't know Joe Mannix if he slammed into them with his customized Challenger 360.”

“No, Mannix the show, Mannix the gestalt, Mannix the lifestyle, is strictly for the over 35-set who grew up with aerials on their roofs, nylon underwear, metal lunch boxes, and only three TV networks.

“We already know what Mannix is all about. It's about TV's vision of the American "good life" in whacked-out, sun-bleached SoCal, circa 1974: Motor City muscle cars smashing into each other with abandon; weekend fishing trips that inevitably lead to assassination attempts; polyester sports jackets strong enough to deflect a .38 caliber bullet; women―beautiful women―who are attracted to macho Armenian musk like moths to a flame; old Army/college/casual acquaintance/passers-by on the street, all of whom bear a psychotic, violent grudge against Joe.

"And of course, vicious daily assaults, perpetrated year after year upon the unyielding body of Joe Mannix―assaults that would cripple a normal man inside a week. That's what Mannix is all about, kids. The particulars of the plots are merely distractions."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#52 Post by Pahonu »

Sorry about the UN question! :lol:
I’ve just wondered about it for a long time.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:30 pm I sincerely hope that the “UN Charter-Lions Club” discussion can be had in its own thread. :wink:

Here are two of my favorite writeups about Mannix. The first is from the WaPo article that may very well have been responsible for getting Mannix on DVD:

”Mannix was the last of a certain type of American manhood, circa early '70s. He wore a tie and a wistful smile. He did not know doubt but was a friend of irony. He didn't worry about giving women "their space," and he wasn't "in touch with his feelings." He was kind to small dogs, little old ladies, and femmes fatales in deep trouble and short skirts.

“He drove too fast, drank too much and smoked like he got paid for it. He slugged people and shot guys and never got pulled in by the cops. "The body count, even in the first few minutes of the show, could sometimes be appalling," notes one television reference guide. This was the era of "Who loves ya, baby?" "Book 'em, Danno!" and "This tape will self-destruct in five seconds."

"Mannix was great, just great -- one of the last unapologetically masculine and completely unrealistic American icons, at least in the myths we tell ourselves on television. Cops and detectives got cute or complicated later on, and there really hasn't been much on television like it since.

"It debuted at a turbulent time in American culture, 1967, and Joe Mannix was pretty much a modernized Lone Ranger -- no wife, no kids, no pets, no political views, no close friends. He was hip enough to listen to jazz and to mock himself as "a hard- boiled detective in the classical tradition," but traditional enough to wear a coat and tie and to have good manners."

—————————————-

The second is by DVDTalk reviewer Paul Mavis, whose words could very well serve as my own “Mannix Manifesto.” Mr. Mavis perfctly expresses his affection for the late-60s-to-mid-70s TV action show in his review for Mannix Season Seven:

“I've written reviews for the past four seasons of Mannix (please click here to read those), and since stylistically (as always) this seventh season differs not at all from previous outings (the producers stay remarkably consistent with the "Mannix formula"), I'm not going to go over the same ground again here.

“After all...who's out there reading these old TV reviews, anyway? Is it all the Pendleton shirts-and-sandals kids who drive around in their hot rods listening to their "hey, baby!" jazz music, hanging out at the malt shop discussing Archer and Justified? Is it the young, crew-cutted technocrats with their slide rulers and rocket fuel tabulating machines, arguing over Tosh.0?

“Is it that college girl on summer break down the street who knows exactly what she's doing to all the guys in the neighborhood when she keeps insisting on washing her new Camaro in her string bikini? Hell, no; they wouldn't know Joe Mannix if he slammed into them with his customized Challenger 360.”

“No, Mannix the show, Mannix the gestalt, Mannix the lifestyle, is strictly for the over 35-set who grew up with aerials on their roofs, nylon underwear, metal lunch boxes, and only three TV networks.

“We already know what Mannix is all about. It's about TV's vision of the American "good life" in whacked-out, sun-bleached SoCal, circa 1974: Motor City muscle cars smashing into each other with abandon; weekend fishing trips that inevitably lead to assassination attempts; polyester sports jackets strong enough to deflect a .38 caliber bullet; women―beautiful women―who are attracted to macho Armenian musk like moths to a flame; old Army/college/casual acquaintance/passers-by on the street, all of whom bear a psychotic, violent grudge against Joe.

"And of course, vicious daily assaults, perpetrated year after year upon the unyielding body of Joe Mannix―assaults that would cripple a normal man inside a week. That's what Mannix is all about, kids. The particulars of the plots are merely distractions."
That's our Joe Mannix alright!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe and McGarrett must have gone to the same barber. Every season their head of hair got bigger and fuller, the sideburns longer and longer. :D

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Little Garwood »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:21 pm

Joe and McGarrett must have gone to the same barber. Every season their head of hair got bigger and fuller, the sideburns longer and longer. :D
That reminds me of an H50 episode…Bait Once, Bait Twice I believe it was—in which McGarrett says he gets his haircut every week! :lol: Steve’s barber must merely snip the scissors safely out of range of McGarrett’s “wave”!

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#55 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:41 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:21 pm

That reminds me of an H50 episode…Bait Once, Bait Twice I believe it was—in which McGarrett says he gets his haircut every week! :lol: Steve’s barber must merely snip the scissors safely out of range of McGarrett’s “wave”!
I recall that line too! His barber really must have just cleaned up the edges. :lol: