Mannix

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Mannix

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Any Mannix (1967-1975) or Mike Connors fans out there? Mannix was one of the last great man's-man, anti-hero, hard-boiled private detectives on TV. He smoked too much. He drank too much. He broke every rule in the book. And it was great! By one count, he was shot 17 times and knocked unconscious another 55 times during the show's eight-year run! They just don't make shows like this anymore.

I consider this show one of the best TV detective shows of all-time, yet you won't see it on TV anymore (it was on TV Land briefly) and it's not available on DVD (and it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon, if ever)! :shock:

Such a shame. This show really needs a DVD release!
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Well, it looks like Mannix will finally make its way to DVD!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mannix-Season-1/8687

It's about time!

8)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#3 Post by Shermy »

This always reminds me of a Seinfeld episode titled, "The Limo". The setup is that George and Jerry- tired of waiting at the airport- decide to accept someone else's limo.

George assumes the identity of the intended passenger, who is ultimately revealed to be the head of a Neo-Nazi organization. They also learn that their destination is a Neo-Nazi rally, where George is expected to give a speech.

As panic begins to set in, George suggests that they escape by jumping out of the moving limo, then rolling as they hit the ground (to avoid injury). Jerry then deadpans, "Who are you, Mannix?" :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Too funny, Shermy!

My admiration for Seinfeld has just gone up a notch. ;)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm a MANNIX fan. At least I think so! The only time I ever got to see the show was during the summer of 1985, when my local independent station included it in their amazing late-night lineup. I stayed up late until 1am to watch Mission: Impossible but oftentimes I'd be so jacked up that I'd stick around and watch Mannix, too. I liked it well enough, but I know that I'd appreciate it a *lot* more now. I've never seen the first season, which has a different format then the subsequent seasons. Can't wait!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Welcome Little Garwood! Yeah, I don't think I've seen any from the first couple of seasons if I remember correctly. I know Gail Fischer didn't join the cast until Season 2 (replacing Joe Campenella).

I can't wait to watch "Warning: Live Blueberries" (1.7). Neil Young, Stephen Stills and Richie Furay (of Buffalo Springfield) make an appearance as themselves. I'm a big fan of all three of these guys. Neil Diamond also makes an appearance in one episode.

Also, it appears that Joe drives a customized convertable Oldsmobile Toronado (first generation) in the first season! Cool!

Mannix Intro (Season 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_49tWPNWA&NR=1

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by Operation Chessboard »

I bought the first season of Mannix the day it came out. I used to watch this show all the time when I was a kid. Those opening titles were very cool! And Lalo Schifren's theme is still one of the best TV show themes ever produced, IMHO. The video quality on this set is excellent and they sure did pack it with a lot of extra features. One of my favorite Mannix episodes was 'Return to Summer Grove' when Mannix travels back to his hometown to help a childhood friend and to reconcile with his father. It believe this was a season three episode. They really don't make shows like this anymore. The character Mannix would be considered too politically incorrect nowadays.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Frodoleader »

Did anyone see the Two and a Half Men episode with Mike Connors as a their mother's new beau? I believe he dies on the sofa wearing a bathrobe! :cry:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Little Garwood »

I got S1 of Mannix this past August and it's really a fun show. Very 1960s, with Mike Connors constantly drinking and smoking, and those of you who are familiar with TV actors from the period, which I like to call the '54-'75 Era, will be pleased to see long-gone actors like the late, great Steve Ihnat, who Star Trek fans will remember as Lord Garth in S3's Whom Gods Destroy.

S2 due out next month. It'll leave the Intertect angle behind and continue in a more conventional P.I. mode. Lots of plaid sportsjackets and marvel at Mike Connors' hair helmet.

I've missed Magnum Mania! It's good to be back.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Operation Chessboard wrote:I bought the first season of Mannix the day it came out.
Little Garwood wrote:I got S1 of Mannix this past August and it's really a fun show.
Hey, if you guys get a chance please post some good screen caps. I'm thinking real hard about maybe buying this set myself. An iconic show if there ever was one.

By the way, welcome back Little Garwood!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Little Garwood »

James J. Walters wrote: Hey, if you guys get a chance please post some good screen caps. I'm thinking real hard about maybe buying this set myself. An iconic show if there ever was one.

By the way, welcome back Little Garwood!
If I knew how to do that, I would! :D

Thanks for the welcome back, James!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Little Garwood »

The third season due out this month! I just got the second season for my birthday (for $24.99; it's becoming an annual tradition) and I can say that it's a noticeable improvement over the first year, when they had the "Intertect" concept. Mannix is a program that is growing on me. Fun show with great music scores.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Little Garwood »

Mannix gets better with each season! If you didn't like the 1st season with its "Intertect" angle, the second and third seasons find the program hugely improved! It's a breath of fresh air! They're getting off the Paramount lot more often and the music (by Gerald Fried, Robert Drasnin, and Richard Markowitz) has been stellar. This season is 1969-70 and the clothes on the women are great, Gail Fisher looks great---what a voice, too--and there's lots of familiar TV guest stars.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Little Garwood »

Good news! Mannix season five is scheduled for a July 5, 2011 release!

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Little Garwood »

I have to wonder if those of us here of a certain age who watched Magnum were, say, ten years older, that this site might be called "Mannix-Mania. :wink:

Joe Mannix passed the great tradition of the American private investigator to Jim Rockford, who passed it on to Thomas Magnum.

~Tom Selleck