MACGYVER RE-IMAGINED?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

MACGYVER RE-IMAGINED?

#1 Post by KingKC »

I just read an article that said CBS is going to revive MacGyver in some "re-imagined" way. It will star Lucas Till as a "twenty-something" with an unconventional way of solving problems and preventing disasters through some clandestine organization. It will also star George Eads, formerly of CSI. The original MacGyver was a classic as I think Richard Dean Anderson was the show kind of like Tom Selleck was Magnum. We will have to wait until fall to see. It said it would be on Friday nights at 8 PM Eastern.

TSM308
Captain

Re: MACGYVER RE-IMAGINED?

#2 Post by TSM308 »

Saw something about this a few days ago. Can't remember if it was a commercial on a clip online...
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Good Lord! Are there ANY creative people left in Hollywood? I mean someone with an ORIGINAL idea? Everything is a reality show, a remake, or CSI spin-off. From the description, the new MacGuyver sounds like a combination of scorpion and numb3rs.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I saw where CBS picked up the new MacGyver last week. Assuming Hawaii 50 stays on Friday night, they're going to have two re-makes on back to back. I never cared for the original show, but wasn't it on ABC?
Last edited by MagnumsLeftShoulder on Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

TSM308
Captain

#5 Post by TSM308 »

Yes, ABC originally

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#6 Post by Italian Ice »

Sadly, this may be true. I even expressed my outrage on Facebook. See below and my post on Facebook

http://tvline.com/2016/05/18/macgyver-t ... all-video/

Oh no, please don't reboot this show! I saw this show filmed here in Vancouver, I was an even an 'extra' on an episode once and I got to meet the original MacGyver and watch them film it throughout the city.

The spoofs and "macgyverisms" are just a fraction of the amazing legacy this show has left behind. We all know that most remakes, spinoffs, and reboots don't work (insert Ghostbusters, A-Team, and Rush Hour tv series jokes here).

This trailer just looks awful, the original opening credit sequence was more epic and entertaining than this.
But on the positive side here, at least they have the original director involved, but if it doesn't have Richard Dean Anderson in it, then I'll skip this one and maybe just watch the pilot to check it out. I owe it at least that much.

My advice? While the original director is involved, without the original character, and Richard Dean Anderson is very much alive, just watch the original series for its campiness, entertainment, and overall originality.

What are they gonna reboot next? Magnum PI? Even though that original cast is still alive, although very old, they had 30 years to do that one and nearly the same amount of time here to make a series a long time ago. If it ain't broke, why touch it? (insert Hawaii 5-0 reboot here).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to write a better series with a plastic cup, a rubber band and some chewing gum!
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KingKC »

One of the worst reboots I can remember was Knight Rider!

KingKC

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

...and Agent Carter got cancelled.

:x
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#9 Post by Kate Sullivan »

The first pilot and half the cast have been binned - there's more info in this link on the MacGyver online website:

http://www.macgyveronline.com/news/cbs- ... gyver-fans

It does sound like the second pilot might be an improvement on the first, but time will tell.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#10 Post by BWheelz54 »

Everyone on the team who envisioned relaunching Macgyver as young, twenty-year old something with cute hair to appeal to the teeny-boppers should be drawn and quartered. That first idea for a new MacGyver is everything that's wrong with today's lazy and cheap entertainment industry. And, it's official - my complaint proves I have turned old. But that idea was just terrible.

TSM308
Captain

#11 Post by TSM308 »

BWheelz54 wrote:Everyone on the team who envisioned relaunching Macgyver as young, twenty-year old something with cute hair to appeal to the teeny-boppers should be drawn and quartered. That first idea for a new MacGyver is everything that's wrong with today's lazy and cheap entertainment industry. And, it's official - my complaint proves I have turned old. But that idea was just terrible.

Couldn't have said it better...

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KingKC »

Well it is really happening! MacGyver is being rebooted tonight at 8E/7C with a millenial with long blond locks. I have seen the trailers and it looks pretty cheesy. We'll know more later tonight.

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by Kate Sullivan »

I've just been reading some of the reviews - copied and pasted on MacGyver Online. Not many of them are complimentary. I don't know if we'll get it here in England, so it'd be interesting to know what you think of it.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:...and Agent Carter got cancelled.

:x
I know, right? That was a really good show. I don't know what some people are watching sometimes.

And count me as someone who still misses The Finder and will watch it from time to time on Netflix.

I'm going to have to start a thread about that one . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by Kate Sullivan »

The rebooted MacGyver is going to have a crossover episode with rebooted Hawaii 5-0.

http://www.macgyveronline.com/news/MacG ... -Confirmed

I can't help thinking how much better a Magnum-Original H50 crossover would have been....