Mickey Mouse Club-The Hardy Boys

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Mickey Mouse Club-The Hardy Boys

#1 Post by MagnumILWU »

https://youtu.be/phWGcOOEPZY I believe this is the show that first introduced me to Private Detectives! Saw it in reruns, a few years after it first aired, and thought it was great! Loved the characters, story,music, everything about it! A lot of kids wanted to be Frank and Joe hardy! Bought a lot of Hardy Boys books over the years, and still have them! Even their Private Detective Handbook!
"pickled egg please"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mickey Mouse Club-The Hardy Boys

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumILWU wrote:https://youtu.be/phWGcOOEPZY I believe this is the show that first introduced me to Private Detectives! Saw it in reruns, a few years after it first aired, and thought it was great! Loved the characters, story,music, everything about it! A lot of kids wanted to be Frank and Joe hardy! Bought a lot of Hardy Boys books over the years, and still have them! Even their Private Detective Handbook!
Hi MagnumILWU,
Wow, I could have written your post. Watched the Mickey Mouse Club reruns with the Hardy Boys in the early 1960's in Chicago as a tyke and later inherited my older brothers Hardy Boys books, which turned me into a big reader for the rest of my life. I even secretly read one or two of my sister's Nancy Drew books, but keep it under your hat.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#3 Post by marlboro »

I loved the Hardy Boys books, too. I can still remember the very first one I read, "The Missing Chums."

Did you know that many of the earliest books were "revised" in the early 60s to be more politically correct?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

marlboro wrote:I loved the Hardy Boys books, too. I can still remember the very first one I read, "The Missing Chums."

Did you know that many of the earliest books were "revised" in the early 60s to be more politically correct?
Marlboro,
I had forgotten about that, because after the revisions I made a point of going to garage sales to get the original Hardy Boys books. I used to read so many of them that I often used 1940's slang from the books because I thought they were cool. My uncle called me "Little Slip" and said I belonged down at Louie's Sweet Shop with the Bowery Boys.

Ralph Bellamy - "You Bastard"!
Lee Marvin - "Yes sir. With me an accident of birth. But you, you're a self made man".
The Professionals
(if any of you guys like The Dirty Dozen, you will love The Professionals)

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

marlboro wrote:I loved the Hardy Boys books, too. I can still remember the very first one I read, "The Missing Chums."

Nancy Drew was given the same revisions in the late 1950s. These revisions mostly just dumbed down and shortened the books. The original Nancy Drew was 2 years younger and she often carried a gun. She was pretty badass in the beginning. Applewood Books re-published the originals of Nancy and the Hardy Boys a few years ago. Search "Hardy Boys Applewood" on Amazon to find them. They are really pretty books, I've got the first 5 of Nancy and they look really good in my bookshelves! :wink:

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#6 Post by marlboro »

Thanks for the tip about Applewood Books, MagnumsLeftShoulder. I think I'll order a copy of "Missing Chums" to find out what I've been missing for the last several decades.