Endeavour

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Endeavour

#1 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Is anybody else hooked on the British show Endeavour? It's the prequel to Inspector Morse and it's set in the 1960's in Oxford. The mysteries are really good, the lead (Shaun Evans) is adorable, and the setting is interesting. It's sort of filling in my Mad Men gap even though it's an entirely different take on the era. PBS Masterpiece is currently airing series 3 (it aired across the pond 6 months ago).

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Endeavour

#2 Post by magnumette »

Yep I love Endeavor. Roger Allam is so wonderful. He is the kind of older man that Morse needs --a father figure . I love their dynamic. If you like Endeavour, check out Lewis. I never got into the original Morse ironic isn't it?

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The only thing I knew Roger from was the BBC radio show "Cabin Pressure" which I listened to because of Benedict Cumberbatch. Roger's character in that was kind of a jerk so it took me awhile to warm up to him as Thursday, but I love him now. He's such a cool homage to a '40s and 50's era gumshoe.

I've never watched Morse either and now I don't think I can see anybody but Shaun in the role! I'll probably give Morse and Lewis a try eventually, though.

Rands
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Rands »

My lovely Bride has me now watching many of the British detective shows. Endeavor is a truly excellent production, and Roger Allam as Fred Thursday, is my favorite character. Roger's portrayal of the old "Copper", whose dark side has been revealed as the series progresses, brings so much depth to the show. Fred Thursday's character reminds me of many of the old, retired, police officers, I know.