NEWER DETECTIVE SHOWS

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: NEWER DETECTIVE SHOWS

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

terryfromkerry wrote:Hey Conch,

I did watch the full season of The Finder and loved it. I was disappointed it was cancelled.

I got hooked on Burn Notice immediately while watching the pilot. I completed all seasons. I particularly enjoyed taking note of Bruce Campbell's several new "Tommy Bahama" shirts in every episode.

I liked The Glades initially but became irritated with the central character's imo escalating abrasiveness.

I agree of course the Florida locations are so exotic. :) :magnum: :higgins:
I agree about Sam Axe's shirts, love 'em!!

I think we Magnum people have a lot of similar likes ....
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by eagle »

I searched the forum today for “The Glades,” and found this thread. I started reading the comments aloud to my wife. I came to one in particular and wondered aloud, “this sounds like my comment; I wonder if it is.” Sure enough, it was my comment.

Anyway, we have started watching The Glades on Hulu. Just finished season 1 and are enjoying it so far.

I wish P.I. shows were still something that studios made.

jno
Captain

#18 Post by jno »

If I can just resurrect this discussion, I watched 'The Glades' and have to admit I quite liked it. One of the few US shows in the last few years to have a decent theme tune that actually got played too (it's a shame a lot of US shows have dropped this these days). I would agree with the earlier comment about the lead character though, he could be annoying at times. It's a TV crime that the show was left as it was dangling from that cliff.

In the UK 'The Glades' was broadcast on the 'Alibi' channel which meant it was never going to be a massive smash. Kiele Sanchez was very easy on the eye for male viewers too. Clayne Crawford (aka Martin Riggs from the new 'Lethal Weapon' reboot) also starred as her ex-husband.

It's great to read 'Person of Interest' mentioned earlier in the thread, another stand out superb series. Again, this never really got a decent airing in the UK, broadcast at all sorts of different times on UK Channel 5. This is one of the best series made in the last 10 years. Caviezel was great as John Reese and (for me at least) could have been a real contender as the first American actor to play James Bond off the back of this.

In recent years I've also enjoyed Australian series 'Harrow' with Ioan Gruffudd playing a coroner who likes to do PI work much to the as annoyance of his boss. This is a more serious version of his character from the 2014 US series 'Forever' in which he played coroner Dr Henry Morgan, only he was immortal. That was a great show too, a lot of fun to watch.

Two strictly PI shows worth a mention would be two British shows - firstly 'Vincent' with Ray Winstone from 2005. I believe this has had an outing on BBC America. Also Clive Owen in 'Sharman' from the 90s. Generally I can't stand Clive Owen and there's more personality in my workbench, but he's pretty good in Sharman and it gets a lot better as it goes along.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the 90s outings of Mike Hammer on here either which probably means they were in the category labelled forgettable TV.

:|

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

jno wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:06 am If I can just resurrect this discussion, I watched 'The Glades' and have to admit I quite liked it. One of the few US shows in the last few years to have a decent theme tune that actually got played too (it's a shame a lot of US shows have dropped this these days). I would agree with the earlier comment about the lead character though, he could be annoying at times. It's a TV crime that the show was left as it was dangling from that cliff.

In the UK 'The Glades' was broadcast on the 'Alibi' channel which meant it was never going to be a massive smash. Kiele Sanchez was very easy on the eye for male viewers too. Clayne Crawford (aka Martin Riggs from the new 'Lethal Weapon' reboot) also starred as her ex-husband.

It's great to read 'Person of Interest' mentioned earlier in the thread, another stand out superb series. Again, this never really got a decent airing in the UK, broadcast at all sorts of different times on UK Channel 5. This is one of the best series made in the last 10 years. Caviezel was great as John Reese and (for me at least) could have been a real contender as the first American actor to play James Bond off the back of this.

In recent years I've also enjoyed Australian series 'Harrow' with Ioan Gruffudd playing a coroner who likes to do PI work much to the as annoyance of his boss. This is a more serious version of his character from the 2014 US series 'Forever' in which he played coroner Dr Henry Morgan, only he was immortal. That was a great show too, a lot of fun to watch.

Two strictly PI shows worth a mention would be two British shows - firstly 'Vincent' with Ray Winstone from 2005. I believe this has had an outing on BBC America. Also Clive Owen in 'Sharman' from the 90s. Generally I can't stand Clive Owen and there's more personality in my workbench, but he's pretty good in Sharman and it gets a lot better as it goes along.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the 90s outings of Mike Hammer on here either which probably means they were in the category labelled forgettable TV.

Agreed on PERSON OF INTEREST!

When I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes I wasn't sure what to make of it. It seemed ok (the premise was cool) but wasn't sure if it was worth continuing. But after a few more episodes it got better and better. By the time I got to "Root Cause" I knew I stumbled onto a very good show. Very suspenseful. The show has a bit of a "24" vibe which was the last show that I was absolutely addicted to. Alas since the days of "24" I've found pretty much all modern shows to be crap. I don't watch the cable stuff (too much filth) and the network stuff is just junk. I would tune in once in a while to the FIVE-O and MAGNUM reboots just for the Hawaiian scenery but otherwise I can't stand Lenkov's reboots and his over-the-top Michael Bay approach to ridiculous action, crappy CGI, and lame "humor". So that's why PERSON OF INTEREST stands out as the only post-"24" show worth watching. But I gotta admit that I've only seen season 1. Got side-tracked and haven't had the chance to return to the show.

Overall my viewing comprises pretty much of older TV shows and movies. I just can't get into modern stuff. I don't like modern characterizations, modern acting, the never-ending serialized format where everything is connected, the endless subplots/soap operas that do nothing but distract. As Joe Friday used to say... "Just the facts, ma'am". That's why I thrive on the classic FIVE-O and other detective shows of that era. No extra fat, just the case at hand.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

jno wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:06 am

Hi jno,
I will check out "Harrow", thanks for the heads up. Aussie TV has come a long way and a lot of it can stack up with the best series from anywhere. "City Homicide", "Murder Call" and "Water Rats"
are terrific and can be found for free on You Tube. TUBI has "Water Rats" but the episodes are mislabeled and in the wrong order. I watched the much lauded "Wildside", the actors were given
a outline of the scenes and then improvised all the dialog, often resulting in actors not up to repartee constantly resorting to shouting matches where they repeated the same sentence over and
over. I thought it way overrated, there is a reason you pay writers to come up with stylish lines and not rely on actor's wits.
The Australian Television Information Archive is the best source online, thru it I learned of many worthy efforts like the Underbelly mini series franchise about organised crime in Sydney.
The 90's Mike Hammer with Stacy Keach was indeed forgettable, wasn't near as good as Keach's 1980's Hammer TV series and it's 3 or 4 TV movies.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm Chinese. I'm a stone. I go where I am kicked"...France Nuyen, stoic Existentialist Primitive and actress.