Airwolf: The Complete Series

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Airwolf: The Complete Series

#1 Post by Little Garwood »

According to TV Shows on DVD.com:

"Airwolf - For the First Time Ever, Get The Complete Series on DVD...And Blu-ray Disc!

All 79 episodes - from the original 1984 CBS show AND from the 1987 USA Network continuation - are officially together in one package!

Posted by David Lambert
3/08/2016

Jan-Michael Vincent stars as Stringfellow Hawke, a reclusive renegade pilot who's assigned to top-secret missions for the CIA by the mysterious "Archangel" (Alex Cord). Hawke's weapon of choice is the high-tech battle helicopter of the future, Airwolf. Loaded with cutting-edge surveillance equipment and unbelievable firepower, Airwolf takes Hawke and his friend Dominic (Ernest Borgnine) around the globe in search of dangerous international spies and criminals.

From the creator/co-creator of TV hits like Magnum P.I., Quantum Leap, JAG, and NCIS! The series ran for 55 episodes on CBS in the United States (1984-86), and an additional 24 episodes - with a new cast and production company - on the USA Network in 1987, for a total of 79 episodes. Notable Cast/Crew: Jan-Michael Vincent, Ernest Borgnine, Alex Cord, Jean Bruce Scott, Barry Van Dyke, Geraint Wyn Davies, Michele Scarabelli, and Anthony Sherwood. Notable Guest Stars: Dick Van Dyke, Shannen Doherty, John Ireland, David Carradine, Bryan Cranston, David Graf and many more!
Today we have the exclusive news from Mill Creek Entertainment that they are releasing Airwolf - The Complete Series for the first time, coming to DVD on May 3rd. On the same date, Mill Creek will also release the same title on high-def Blu-ray Disc!

Both 14-disc sets will have the episodes of this Emmy-winning show restored from their original 35mm negatives, and available on Blu-ray in 1080p High Definition...in its original 4:3 aspect ratio, so all picture detail has remained intact! You'll get all 4 seasons, the original three from CBS and the fourth "remake" season from the USA Network. The Blu-ray format set will be priced at $99.98 SRP, while the DVD version will clock in at $44.98 SRP."
------------------------

They're also offering a two-disc set of season one for $9.98 for those wishing to try out the series.

I'm pretty darned excited about this release, as I've been patient and NOT purchased the shoddy double-sided discs of previous Airwolf releases. I always thought that Magnum and Airwolf would have made for a great crossover adventure.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Airwolf: The Complete Series

#2 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Thanks for the update LG. That's something I'm definitively interested in. I could do without season 4, but I look forward to seeing the series remastered.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Little Garwood »

I never watched season four--I actually refused to--but if anything, I'd definitely spring for that season one two-disc set, as iirc Airwolf was more of an international-intrigue flavor in its first year. Plus, the pilot movie was pretty darn good even with that 1980s nightclub dance scene number involving that secret agent(?) woman. really enjoyed those early episodes.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

Just began a season one re-watch of Airwolf. The pilot movie, Shadow of the Hawke, holds up well outside of the Flashdance-style dance number (by an actress who was actually in that film) in the seedy Libyan nightclub(!). In true Bellisario fashion--he's even namedropped by Stringfellow Hawke--the pilot movie perfectly sets up the series premise, the supporting characters (minus Caitlin), and their relationship to one another.

The film's finale is as moving as anything you might see on a "prestige" program. Jan-Michael Vincent, a true tortured soul/screw up if there ever was one, delvers a brilliant performance here.

~Tom Selleck

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#5 Post by marlboro »

I watched the pilot last night. It was fun, but there were a few unintentionally hilarious moments for me. Chief among them is the intro scene with JMV where he is sitting on a pier with his hound dog, serenading a majestic bald eagle with a cello. I also got a chuckle out of the scene where he holds up a "beautiful" trout and gives his love interest a death stare like he's contemplating clocking her with an oar. And finally, I also had to laugh at the brilliant idea the CIA had when their secret agent who was posing as a hot American stripper in a Libyan dive bar was caught and executed - they just sent another hot American chick to be a stripper in the same bar!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KingKC »

Airwolf was a fun show. I really enjoyed the actors and characters, especially Jean Bruce Scott since she was a favorite of mine on MPI.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#7 Post by marlboro »

KingKC wrote: especially Jean Bruce Scott since she was a favorite of mine on MPI.

I really wish they had done more with her on MPI. I think it would have been natural for her to fill Mac's place as a source of confidential info after Mac kicked the bucket. Or maybe as a potential love interest at some point.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Chief among them is the intro scene with JMV where he is sitting on a pier with his hound dog, serenading a majestic bald eagle with a cello. I also got a chuckle out of the scene where he holds up a "beautiful" trout and gives his love interest a death stare like he's contemplating clocking her with an oar.
This is exactly why I couldn't get in to this show. The JMV character was so melodramatic! :roll: Anything with Ernest Borgnine should have a little more levity.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#9 Post by marlboro »

50 minutes of Ernest Borgnine riding across America in a bus talking to everyday people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMVnPytPSM

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Little Garwood »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Chief among them is the intro scene with JMV where he is sitting on a pier with his hound dog, serenading a majestic bald eagle with a cello. I also got a chuckle out of the scene where he holds up a "beautiful" trout and gives his love interest a death stare like he's contemplating clocking her with an oar.
Both of those scenes are brilliance personified--especiqlly if one happened to be 12 years old when Airwolf first aired (as I was).

Seriously, though, the trout bit was played for humor, and it worked. JMV serenading the Bald Eagle" while crying testerone-heavy Man Tears, is the show's finest (non-helicopter) moment. The Airwolf movie pilot is in my estimation, yet another feather in Bellisario's cap, and I absolutely love it.

I state these things without a trace of irony. :lol:

~Tom Selleck

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Stumbled across this while looking for something else. Even though I'm not a fan of this show, the low price for the complete series almost makes me wish I was. :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Airwolf-The- ... thena=true

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Little Garwood »

Alex Cord, who played Archangel (real name Michael Coldsmith-Briggs III) on Airwolf, has died at age 88.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/10/alex-cord ... ead-at-88/

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:50 pm Seriously, though, the trout bit was played for humor, and it worked. JMV serenading the Bald Eagle" while crying testerone-heavy Man Tears, is the show's finest (non-helicopter) moment. The Airwolf movie pilot is in my estimation, yet another feather in Bellisario's cap, and I absolutely love it.
Absolutely!!! The pilot episode is one of the best pilots of any TV show and without a doubt Airwolf's finest hour (or is it 2 hours?). The production values (for that time, for a TV show) are off the charts! Combined with that Sylvester Levay score (for my money the greatest score ever composed for television!) you forget you're watching a TV show. It has film quality written all over it! I still get goosebumps every time during that eerie desert opening.
Last edited by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:13 pm Image

Alex Cord, who played Archangel (real name Michael Coldsmith-Briggs III) on Airwolf, has died at age 88.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/10/alex-cord ... ead-at-88/
RIP, Archangel. :(

"We will find the HX-1... and when we do, we will blow it to hell... along with whoever is inside of it!".

jno
Captain

#15 Post by jno »

I was very sad to b hear of Alex Cord's passing - he was an excellent actor and superb in Airwolf.

I have the German Blu-Ray release of the series, and it incudes the very much maligned fourth season too (all with English soundtracks of course). Love Airwolf.