The Equalizer

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

The Equalizer

#1 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

A few months back I broke down and bought the limited edition DVD box set of The Equalizer. I generally don't spend lots of $$$ on DVDs. Most of my collection is comprised of DVDs I bought used and cheap at a flea market...such as 4 seasons of Magnum for $20, 4 seasons of JAG for $20, and season 1 of The Rockford Files for $5! However, the Equalizer was something I just couldn't pass up. It is never re-run here in the states, has bonus material (such as the British series CI5: The New Professionals), and most importantly....no stores carry it at all. I just checked the VEI website today, and its no longer available: http://www.visualentertainment.tv/search?q=equalizer. Amazon does have individual seasons for sale though.

The DVD quality is not that of the Magnum discs, but enjoyable nonetheless. I didn't think I'd like the episodes where his screen time was cut (after a heart attack), but Robert Mitchum and Richard Jordan did a wonderful job. I haven't watched the CI5 episodes yet. I'm a bit apprehensive because of the negative reviews I've read.

I missed most of the Equalizer episodes when they originally aired as I was in college at the time and was focused on my studies and my job. All I can say is I am so happy I made the investment! What a GREAT show. It has an excellent mixture of mystery, drama, suspense, action, and a superb performance by Edward Woodward. Oh, and how can I forget the soundtrack by Stewart Copeland of The Police...

I'm a Boxley Girl....

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Equalizer

#2 Post by Little Garwood »

Despite the fact that The Equalizer aired during my high school years (1985-1989), I have NEVER watched an episode of it! I remember being enthused over the promos that CBS aired in late summer 1985 (McCall threatening some thug: "Leave. The Lady. Alone!") but since I largely stopped at hung episodic TV during those years, I never did catch up with the show. It looks like it could have crossed over with Magnum and that would have been a great way to become acquainted with The Equalizer.

If this thread gains steam--even if it's just one person posting--I'll be following with interest and asking questions. Heck, maybe I'll even start watching. I'm long overdue enough as it is! :oops:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Its entertaining on so many levels. As someone who lives in the NY/NJ Metro area (Well, OK...the Jersey Shore) it's fascinating to see the city and suburbs as they were in the 80's. Whats particularly haunting is the number episodes featuring shots of the WTC.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

BWheelz54
Admiral

#4 Post by BWheelz54 »

This is one of those shows I want to go back and explore. I remember catching several episodes back in my junior high days, and I remember that the intro always hooked me. I was disappointed that the show wasn't marketed much more on a new run of dvds or pushed up onto Netflix or Amazon at the time the remake movie came out a while ago. I keep crossing my fingers and hoping this show eventually sneaks up onto one of the digital streaming services like Hulu or something.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MagnumILWU »

This is one of those shows I didn't watch when it first aired, but learned to love it in re-runs! In the mid-late 90's, A & E showed a lot of great re-runs, and The Equalizer was one of them! Edward Woodward was perfect in the role! Still have some episode's on old VHS tapes! Which I think I tapped later, when the Encore Mystery Channel showed some episodes.
"pickled egg please"

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Mr. Greene »

I need to get the rest of these dvd's I picked up season 1 and was bummed when the following seasons didn't get released. I liked the show when I could watch it. I was in high school at the time and liked the contrast to MPI and Simon & Simon having an older guy play the lead. Also enjoyed his friend Mickey showing up and helping out.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I was watching the episode "Unnatural Causes" from season 1 (1986). The guest star was none other than Magnum's mom, Gwen Verdon!

http://sendvid.com/069kgtr2
I'm a Boxley Girl....

jno
Captain

#8 Post by jno »

I absolutely love 'The Equalizer' - Woodward is on top form in this show and anyone who hasn't seen it, should check out 'Callan' that he made in the late 60s in the UK. A truly superb actor was Edward Woodward.

Limbo
Lieutenant

#9 Post by Limbo »

Little Garwood wrote:Despite the fact that The Equalizer aired during my high school years (1985-1989), I have NEVER watched an episode of it! I remember being enthused over the promos that CBS aired in late summer 1985 (McCall threatening some thug: "Leave. The Lady. Alone!") but since I largely stopped at hung episodic TV during those years, I never did catch up with the show. It looks like it could have crossed over with Magnum and that would have been a great way to become acquainted with The Equalizer.

If this thread gains steam--even if it's just one person posting--I'll be following with interest and asking questions. Heck, maybe I'll even start watching. I'm long overdue enough as it is! :oops:
Funny, you should mention that. I just read today that a plan was in place to have a Magnum, Equalizer crossover. It said the crew didn't like the idea, as it was suggested that while they were in the same line of work, they had very different personalities and approaches. That idea was scrubbed and the episode "Beyond Control" was a direct result of that idea.
Very good Magnum-san, very good,but why do you care so much for his life?. I don't....I care for yours.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Limbo wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:Despite the fact that The Equalizer aired during my high school years (1985-1989), I have NEVER watched an episode of it! I remember being enthused over the promos that CBS aired in late summer 1985 (McCall threatening some thug: "Leave. The Lady. Alone!") but since I largely stopped at hung episodic TV during those years, I never did catch up with the show. It looks like it could have crossed over with Magnum and that would have been a great way to become acquainted with The Equalizer.

Funny, you should mention that. I just read today that a plan was in place to have a Magnum, Equalizer crossover. It said the crew didn't like the idea, as it was suggested that while they were in the same line of work, they had very different personalities and approaches. That idea was scrubbed and the episode "Beyond Control" was a direct result of that idea.
Oh now I have to dig out my Equalizer boxed set. I never watched the interviews. I always thought it was because of Edward Woodward's heart attack that the crossover never occurred.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Little Garwood »

Limbo wrote:I just read today that a plan was in place to have a Magnum, Equalizer crossover. It said the crew didn't like the idea, as it was suggested that while they were in the same line of work, they had very different personalities and approaches. That idea was scrubbed and the episode "Beyond Control" was a direct result of that idea.
Seems to me that those differences would have translated to some epic dramatic tension. It's odd that there would be resistance to such a crossover. With the Miami Viceification of Magnum and TV in general at the time, that an Equalizer-Magnum collaboration would have been ideal.

BTW, I still haven't watched The Equalizer! :oops:

Oh, and since Edward Woodward is a Brit, shouldn't the show have been "The Equaliser", since that is the UK spelling? :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Little Garwood wrote:Miami Viceification
:lol:

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#13 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Actually I can imagine Higgins sucking up to McCall, exchanging military and secret service stories with him and badmouthing Magnum.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:Its entertaining on so many levels. As someone who lives in the NY/NJ Metro area (Well, OK...the Jersey Shore) it's fascinating to see the city and suburbs as they were in the 80's. Whats particularly haunting is the number episodes featuring shots of the WTC.
Hi Mrs. Higgins,
I haven't seen the series since it's original run. I seem to recall it was all filmed on location and not in Toronto or LA. Is that correct?
I sure would like to see the NYC of the 1980's again. Wasn't all good then, my buddy's boss had comped him a free dinner for 6 at the Playboy Club - boring, basically a clip joint for tourists and for businessmen's lunches, lousy food - which supposedly always sported celebs but Bianca Jagger was the only one we saw, drugged out at an adjoining table while her friend went around asking if anyone had some coke to share with them. Jagger was supposed to be one of the Beautiful People but color me unimpressed, the working girls at the joint on Hotel street that Luther and Magnum got in a fight with had more class.
Mrs. Higgins, is there some reason The Equalizer isn't rerun, legal entanglements maybe? A shame, it had good writing and an impressive list of guest stars.
CBS had some pretty darn good action series back then what with Magnum, Mike Hammer and The Equalizer. Now it seems to be all reality shows.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Sorry I've been away for a while. I don't know about Toronto, I was indeed filmed in NYC. I'm one of those people who gets a kick out of the cars, fashion, & technology in older films & tv shows. Last I know of, The Equalizer was on (forgot what US network) earlier this year along with Airwolf, Hardcastle & McCormick, The Greatest American Hero, and another 80s crimefighting show.
I'm a Boxley Girl....