Older Detective Shows

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Older Detective Shows

#21 Post by Orrymain »

The only shows mentioned I hadn't heard of are The Outsider and Dangerous Assignment. All the others I've at least heard of and most of them I've watched to one extent or another.

Yes, there were some decent episodes of Hawaiian Eye. Don't ask me which ones because it's been too long since I last saw a rerun, but there were eps that definitely held my attention.

I don't think I could make a top 10 because there are too many and sometimes my mood influences what I'm enjoying at the moment. Guest stars have a role in that, too, because some actors just bore me to apathy. Columbo is a great example. It was a great detective show, but there were a couple of actors that made me just yawn through the whole episode, like Patrick McGoohan. RIP, but he bored me stiff no matter what show he was in. Ironically, someone gifted me with The Prisoner (one of the strangest things I've ever watched) and Secret Agent/Danger Man.

Anyway, I like a bunch of the detective shows, from the 50's through the present. It's certainly a long list!

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I recently got my hands on 2 seasons of the UK series "Callan" on DVD. Edward Woodward (The Equalizer) stars as David Callan, a British secret agent in the cold-war era. Apparently it was considered quite violent for its day. Callan's organization engaged in murders and torture. The acting is great.

I've only watched 2 episodes so far, but I spotted George Innes (David Billingsworth, Lady Ashley's Lawyer....pardon me "barrister", from "Echoes of the Mind") in the season 3 episode "A Village Called G".

Quite a few of the episodes are available to watch on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sEzgQgFiFf
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I've been enjoying Mannix on DVD. Lots of action. The set decoration is a little hokey in season one. Dull with lots of the colors that nauseated me as a kid, green, gold, and orange. On the plus side, I caught Neil Diamond in a cameo which was pretty funny.

And "Oh my God!" I LOVE this car...

I'm a Boxley Girl....

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#24 Post by Orrymain »

I watched the Mannix DVDs last year and had a marvelous time. I was sorry that I couldn't find a decent place to discuss those shows at the time. I always watched Mannix during its initial run and learned/noticed so much watching it ll these years later. I loved seeing Mike Connors reprise the role on Diagnosis Murder, too.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MagnumILWU »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:I've been enjoying Mannix on DVD. Lots of action. The set decoration is a little hokey in season one. Dull with lots of the colors that nauseated me as a kid, green, gold, and orange. On the plus side, I caught Neil Diamond in a cameo which was pretty funny.

And "Oh my God!" I LOVE this car...

He had the hottest cars! Check out Mannix in wikipedia, it lists all the cars!
"pickled egg please"