Older Detective Shows

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Older Detective Shows

#11 Post by Pahonu »

MagnumILWU wrote:
Pahonu wrote:Are you familiar with any of these?
I'm sorry if I misunderstood the question you were asking! I was just thinking about old shows, when it dawned on me!! You were asking about the shows you listed!! I don't know why I thought you were talking about the shows I listed! Like I didn't know what I was talking about! I apologize!

No problem! :magnum:

I bought the Harry-O collection (all of two seasons) through warner Bros. about two years ago and have watched them many times. It was money well spent. Janssen was so good at playing world-weary. The earliest episodes were fantastic and even later episodes were solid.

I bought the other two series just a month or so ago. They were copies from broadcasts so the quality is not great, but I only paid a total of $25 for both, so I still think it was worth it. I really liked City of Angels, but it had just 12 episodes I think. Richie Brockelman was also pretty good, but there were only five episodes total!

Now I'm working my way trough Tenspeed and Brownshoe and like it very much, but sadly, again it was only about 12 episodes. I'm sensing a trend in the kind of shows I like versus what became popular!

I also just realized they're all set in LA with the exception of the first few Harry-O episodes, in the 30's, 70's and 80's. So was The Rockford Files. My all-time favorite show. Another trend. :D

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#12 Post by marlboro »

Is Hawaiian Eye any good? I'm a fan of The Wild Wild West and I'm curious about that one.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Reef monkey »

Since I was born in 1976, I don't recognize a lot of the shows being discussed. For me, all the great shows were in the 80s and early-mid 90s. I pretty much just stopped watching TV in grad school in the late 90s, between working full time and trying to do a masters in 2 years, I decided if I wanted to have a social life, TV watching had to go, and I never really picked it up again afterwards, Blue Bloods and Hawaii 5-0 are the only two shows I watch, because a.) I had to watch any show Tom Selleck is in, and b.) I remembered reruns of the old 5-0 and was curious and got hooked. So, some of my favorite 80s/90s detective/spy/mysterious helper shows (besides the obvious Magnum and Simon and Simon)

The X-Files
The A-Team
McGuyver
Silk Stalkings
Forever Knight
Moonlighting
Renegade
Remington Steele
Hart to Hart
Riptide
Spenser for Hire
Hunter
The Equalizer
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
Stingray - who remembers this one?
And can I sneak Midnight Caller into this category?
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KingKC »

Okay, I guess it is time to show my age because I don't see the show Peter Gunn on anyone's list or post. Talk about a theme song!!!!

KingKC

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

KingKC wrote:Okay, I guess it is time to show my age because I don't see the show Peter Gunn on anyone's list or post. Talk about a theme song!!!!

KingKC
And 77 Sunset Strip.... another old one with a great theme song.......

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#16 Post by marlboro »

Are there any particular episodes of these shows that you could recommend to a newb?

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MagnumILWU »

https://youtu.be/WrrcSieqMH8 Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb.
"pickled egg please"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by 308GUY »

Steve wrote:
KingKC wrote:Okay, I guess it is time to show my age because I don't see the show Peter Gunn on anyone's list or post. Talk about a theme song!!!!

KingKC
And 77 Sunset Strip.... another old one with a great theme song.......

"Kookie, Kookie....lend me your comb." :lol: Watched it whenever it was on!

Caught many Peter Gunn episodes in syndication but I was 8 when it first aired..(giving away MY age now!)..and the theme was one of the first things I (and thousands of others..) I learned to play on the guitar.

Sunset strip started the same year, but it caught my attention more than PG, probably because of Kookie's hotrod. Was really into building model cars at that age.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Little Garwood »

KingKC
Great theme tune but the show was imo nowhere as good as Johnny Staccato (starring John Cassavetes); I love that show!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

A couple of years back I picked up the complete "Dangerous Assignment" series on DVD. It cost me about $14. Now it's selling for around $50! This show was on way before my time, but I always liked Brian Donlevy, so I bought it. It's REAL cheesy. The sets are used, re-used, and used again. Same with the supporting players. Regardless, it's one of my guilty pleasures. :wink:

I'm a Boxley Girl....

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#21 Post by Orrymain »

The only shows mentioned I hadn't heard of are The Outsider and Dangerous Assignment. All the others I've at least heard of and most of them I've watched to one extent or another.

Yes, there were some decent episodes of Hawaiian Eye. Don't ask me which ones because it's been too long since I last saw a rerun, but there were eps that definitely held my attention.

I don't think I could make a top 10 because there are too many and sometimes my mood influences what I'm enjoying at the moment. Guest stars have a role in that, too, because some actors just bore me to apathy. Columbo is a great example. It was a great detective show, but there were a couple of actors that made me just yawn through the whole episode, like Patrick McGoohan. RIP, but he bored me stiff no matter what show he was in. Ironically, someone gifted me with The Prisoner (one of the strangest things I've ever watched) and Secret Agent/Danger Man.

Anyway, I like a bunch of the detective shows, from the 50's through the present. It's certainly a long list!

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I recently got my hands on 2 seasons of the UK series "Callan" on DVD. Edward Woodward (The Equalizer) stars as David Callan, a British secret agent in the cold-war era. Apparently it was considered quite violent for its day. Callan's organization engaged in murders and torture. The acting is great.

I've only watched 2 episodes so far, but I spotted George Innes (David Billingsworth, Lady Ashley's Lawyer....pardon me "barrister", from "Echoes of the Mind") in the season 3 episode "A Village Called G".

Quite a few of the episodes are available to watch on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sEzgQgFiFf
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I've been enjoying Mannix on DVD. Lots of action. The set decoration is a little hokey in season one. Dull with lots of the colors that nauseated me as a kid, green, gold, and orange. On the plus side, I caught Neil Diamond in a cameo which was pretty funny.

And "Oh my God!" I LOVE this car...

I'm a Boxley Girl....

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#24 Post by Orrymain »

I watched the Mannix DVDs last year and had a marvelous time. I was sorry that I couldn't find a decent place to discuss those shows at the time. I always watched Mannix during its initial run and learned/noticed so much watching it ll these years later. I loved seeing Mike Connors reprise the role on Diagnosis Murder, too.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MagnumILWU »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:I've been enjoying Mannix on DVD. Lots of action. The set decoration is a little hokey in season one. Dull with lots of the colors that nauseated me as a kid, green, gold, and orange. On the plus side, I caught Neil Diamond in a cameo which was pretty funny.

And "Oh my God!" I LOVE this car...

He had the hottest cars! Check out Mannix in wikipedia, it lists all the cars!
"pickled egg please"