GOTHAM

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

GOTHAM

#1 Post by 308GUY »

Anybody watching Gotham?

This show has great potential to run a long time, as long as the writing doesn't get too "overboard".

So far it seems they are telling the story of how Batman got to be Batman, and the origin and development of his arch enemies.....sort of an overview, rather than from first person of any one perspective in particular.

They seem to have captured the comic book feel, at least in my opinion, in the look and presentation of the whole production.

Haven't taken too much in the way of "artistic license" as far as detouring from the way the comics were set up, from my perspective.

Unless they get too far off the beaten path, or outlandish with the story or production, this looks like it could run for a very long time!

I did a quick search, and didn't get any hits, but if this is being discussed elsewhere on the forum, I apologize.

Just wondering if anybody is following along? :D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: GOTHAM

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

I love it, and I'm not much of a Batman "purist".

I like the story focusing around Jim Gordon, whereas I think the Bruce Wayne bits are the low points of the show... but willing to give it time, as they are starting to grow on me.

My favorites -

They're making the Penguin out to be pretty awesome. I always found him to be a bit on the weak side, but through Robin Lord Taylor's portrayal makes me rethink that.

Same for Alfred - Sean Pertwee does a fantastic job.

The origin stories of a few - I love that Catwoman is creeped out by Poison Ivy, but not too sure why they hang out all the time. The Scarecrow one was nice as well. Also nice to see the Joker finally make a (brief) appearance, although I'm not sure how that ties in with the finale of The Red Hood (who is supposed to be The Joker)

Carol Kane as Mrs. Kapelput. You can never go wrong with Carol Kane

Donal Logue as Harvey Bulluck. He plays a complex character well, and it's good that he's not just coming off as an antagonist anymore.

My dislikes -

Fish Mooney - Know it's a new character in the canon, but it seems like she's just there as a foil for Penguin and because she's Jada Pinkett Smith.

The random villians - I guess it's good to have, but it seems very 80's TV in which you have these episodes as stand alone, and kind of wonder what the point is as you'll probably never hear of them again.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

I have it DVR'd but haven't given it a shot yet. Waiting to see if it, along with Constantine, got picked up. My TV viewing time has been limited, heck, I still have Blue Bloods to catch up on!

It's getting to the point where I record these new shows, see them filling up my DVR, then hope they get cancelled so I can clear space. It's a strange relationship ...

The Walking Dead is the only "In real time" viewing I do. Complete with a Zombitini.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

Conch: If you can free up the time, I'd tell you to watch it.

Maybe one of the things I enjoy about this show is the same thing I enjoyed about the original Superman movie from waaaaay back in 78', and the original series before that in the 50's (Superman i.e.) the fact that one of the "lowly" comic books was being turned into mainline entertainment. I remember people scoffing at us as youths when they'd see us reading a comic book. Look around now at what Hollywood is, and has been doing for quite some time. It's not just the so-called "classic" literature and accepted "masterpieces" that are being produced and presented to mainstream America, it's what we used to have to hide from the teacher if we dared take it to school with us in our back pocket. Maybe this is going back too far for most of you, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who was in grade school in the 50's.

But when Hollywood started to blossom and flourish, (20's, 30's & 40's), they made movies based on what was considered "classics" or history or something accepted by scholars as "legitimate". Maybe that's too broad a statement, but I think you get what I mean. "Trip to the Moon" was kind of ahead of it's time, but it was something more than a few people thought about back then, before it was even considered possible, Flash Gordon etc. could be seen on the screen, but it was mostly kids who were paying attention, and who it was directed to.

Ok, rambled enough for now. I was curious as to how Gotham was going to be done, that was what made me tune in to begin with. After seeing the first few episodes, in my opinion, it is being handled very well. It's not being done as some joke, but being treated like a legitimate piece of quality fiction, if there is such a thing.

I'm just saying, it's well done in my opinion if you're on the fence about whether or not to spend the time looking at it.

(The preceding is a personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion/stance of the management or this station... :lol: )
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:Conch: If you can free up the time, I'd tell you to watch it.

Maybe one of the things I enjoy about this show is the same thing I enjoyed about the original Superman movie from waaaaay back in 78', and the original series before that in the 50's (Superman i.e.) the fact that one of the "lowly" comic books was being turned into mainline entertainment. I remember people scoffing at us as youths when they'd see us reading a comic book. Look around now at what Hollywood is, and has been doing for quite some time. It's not just the so-called "classic" literature and accepted "masterpieces" that are being produced and presented to mainstream America, it's what we used to have to hide from the teacher if we dared take it to school with us in our back pocket. Maybe this is going back too far for most of you, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who was in grade school in the 50's.

But when Hollywood started to blossom and flourish, (20's, 30's & 40's), they made movies based on what was considered "classics" or history or something accepted by scholars as "legitimate". Maybe that's too broad a statement, but I think you get what I mean. "Trip to the Moon" was kind of ahead of it's time, but it was something more than a few people thought about back then, before it was even considered possible, Flash Gordon etc. could be seen on the screen, but it was mostly kids who were paying attention, and who it was directed to.

Ok, rambled enough for now. I was curious as to how Gotham was going to be done, that was what made me tune in to begin with. After seeing the first few episodes, in my opinion, it is being handled very well. It's not being done as some joke, but being treated like a legitimate piece of quality fiction, if there is such a thing.

I'm just saying, it's well done in my opinion if you're on the fence about whether or not to spend the time looking at it.

(The preceding is a personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion/stance of the management or this station... :lol: )
Going by both your and Doc's reviews it seems I have to give this a shot.

As for other comics series, I want to like Arrow more than I do and like Flash more than I thought I would. Agents of Shield I watch more out of obligation to the MCU it seems than any real attachment to the series while Agent Carter I thought has been very well done.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

BWheelz54
Admiral

#6 Post by BWheelz54 »

Two big thumbs up from me for Gotham. It's my favorite new show this season. I've never been a really avid comic book reader or collector. Not sure why, but just never got into them. Though I know just a bit concerning Batman, I am still loving this show.

Myself, I love the scenes of the young Bruce Wayne and Alfred. I think it focusses on what it's all leading up to. And I just dig the style of the show - a strange mix of vintage and new. Desks have typewriters and computers from all time periods stacked atop of them. People even seem to dress in different styles from different eras. Some cars look like real vintage models, while others look newer. I love how that mix prevents you from putting an exact time stamp on the show.

Just a big fan of Gotham already. Finding it really creative, and smart. Crime drama with a cool touch of fantasy. This is the show I'm pointing all my friends to this season.