Due South

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

Due South

#1 Post by Dave Anderson »

Anyone watch this show back in the day or on DVD?

I think it was probably one of, if not the most, ridiculous programs in the history of TV. And I mean that in the best possible way. :D

I liked both "versions" (the first two seasons with the "real" (original) Ray Vecchio and the final two seasons with the "fake" Ray Vecchio) about equally. Both added something different to the show.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Due South

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Dave Anderson wrote:Anyone watch this show back in the day or on DVD?

I think it was probably one of, if not the most, ridiculous programs in the history of TV. And I mean that in the best possible way. :D

I liked both "versions" (the first two seasons with the "real" (original) Ray Vecchio and the final two seasons with the "fake" Ray Vecchio) about equally. Both added something different to the show.

Hi Dave,
Due South was a outstanding show and is a cult fave around the world, especially Canada.
It spawned 2 or 3 CDs too, the producers had excellent taste in music. Leslie Nielsen begged to get on as his Dad was a Mountie, if I recall correctly he wore his Dad's Sam Browne belt and hat in the episodes he was in.
Was there ever a cooler pet than Constable Fraser's pet wolf? Rin Tin Tin and Lassie were dog food next to Fraser's doggie.
I like how the Mountie Fraser and Chicago cop Ray are imbued with the national characteristics of their respective countries, for good or bad, so when they partner up they are greater than the sum of their parts despite their constant bickering.
I watched it on CBS when it was first on, then it later ran on independent stations for 2 more years.
Just a real good show, stupid people or the humorless should just pass it by, they will never get it.

tiger73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by tiger73 »

Love this show. The 1st 2 seasons are really good. In add Benton Fraser in Italy was dubbed by the same actor dub Tom Serlleck. Last 2 seasons are not good. I like Ray Vecchio character of catholic-Italian background and funny :D

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I lived in Toronto at the time and remember seeing them filming around town all the time. Despite the Canadian aspects of the show, I never watched it. It sort of seemed like a Canadian show meant for Americans...stereotypes, etc. I say that having never watched an episode, however, just countless promo ads. It certainly was popular at the time. Maybe I should check it out after all these years.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

tiger73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by tiger73 »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I lived in Toronto at the time and remember seeing them filming around town all the time. Despite the Canadian aspects of the show, I never watched it. It sort of seemed like a Canadian show meant for Americans...stereotypes, etc. I say that having never watched an episode, however, just countless promo ads. It certainly was popular at the time. Maybe I should check it out after all these years.
I have seen on imdb a Toronto Citizen recognized train station here ahah when show said it was in Chicago. I believe also David Marciano was Canadian, indeed he live in Los Angeles eheh, I have twitter account of my Magnum Italian portal where he follow me, Due South was mix of Canada-USA background

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

tiger73 wrote:I have seen on imdb a Toronto Citizen recognized train station here ahah when show said it was in Chicago. I believe also David Marciano was Canadian, indeed he live in Los Angeles eheh, I have twitter account of my Magnum Italian portal where he follow me, Due South was mix of Canada-USA background
It was definitely filmed in Toronto, but it was made to look like Chicago. Toronto and Vancouver have stood in for many American cities on TV and in film.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

tiger73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by tiger73 »

Yes. Notable even Kunbg Fu the legend continues. Don't know if Chinatown exists really in Toronto

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

It was definitely filmed in Toronto, but it was made to look like Chicago. Toronto and Vancouver have stood in for many American cities on TV and in film.[/quote]

Due South had a lot of in-jokes:
"I've been to Toronto. Trust me. Nothing can survive there"

When Leslie Nielsen guested as Constable Frobisher, he seized the chance to get back at a real life shock jock who had attacked him for years: "Muldoon? One of the foulest scum to ever walk the Earth. Next to Howard Stern that is"

The writing on the show was wry and whimsical and presumed the audience had at least a 5th grade education unlike most series today. One of the biggest laughs of the series was this punchline:
"Why do I always have to be the fulcrum?"
You got to have ace writers to make that line a belly laugh.