Switch

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Switch

#1 Post by marlboro »

I have to admit to having never heard of this show until it was mentioned after the recent death of Glen A. Larson. I've only managed to track down a handful of episodes, and from what I've seen, it's not a bad little show. It's odd that it seems to be almost completely forgotten today.

The gist of it is that an ex bunco cop (Eddie Albert) and an ex con man (Robert Wagner) have formed a detective agency, where they specialize in playing elaborate con games to help their clients and capture bad guys. It's a 70s version of The Sting, basically.

Wagner and Albert work well together. The plots (so far) have been pretty entertaining, though I think they could use a little more tension; the protagonists are always a few too many steps ahead of their targets. There have been a lot of familiar guest stars in the episodes that I've watched so far. Including this gentleman whom you may recognize:

The show isn't as good as Magnum, Rockford Files or Columbo, but it isn't bad. I think it compares favorably to Quin Martin productions like "Cannon", "Barnaby Jones" and "The Streets of San Francisco." Worth a watch if it ever makes its way to dvd.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Switch

#2 Post by Little Garwood »

Not only have I never heard of Switch, but I am stunned to see that it lasted three years!

I'd like to give the series a try...even if that spinning coin looks like it has JFK and George H.W. Bush on it. :)
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I definitely want to check this show out sometime. I'm a Robert Wagner fan.
marlboro wrote:I think it compares favorably to Quin Martin productions like "Cannon", "Barnaby Jones" and "The Streets of San Francisco."
If you ever get a chance, check out the classic Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode with Code Name: Diamond Head, a failed Quinn Martin TV pilot starring Roy Thinnes and Ian McShane (1977). They poke a lot of fun at "A Quinn Martin Production" and all that entails. It was also filmed on Oahu which is always a plus for Magnum fans. I know Quinn has created some good shows over the years, and he's in the TV Hall of Fame, but he's also created a bunch of really, really bad shows.

A Quinn Martin Production!

I believe it was a Season Six episode of MST3K. This episode also includes one of the best shorts ever lampooned on the show, "A Day at the Fair" (1947). Oh cool, it's on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEY9uRknRRc .

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#4 Post by marlboro »

"Hitler's Death Car!"

Classic stuff. I loved MST3k.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »