Columbo's Finest: Cassidy, Culp, and McGoohan

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Columbo's Finest: Cassidy, Culp, and McGoohan

#1 Post by Little Garwood »

In the classic era of Columbo (1971-77) the best killers all have repeat appearances:

Jack Cassidy--

Murder by the Book (1971)
Publish or Perish (1974)
Now You See Him (1976)

Perhaps the guest actor most associated with this show. No one's smarmier, sleazier, and yet so utterly charming! I haven't seen Cassidy in too much else, but I daresay outside of his Broadway roles, his Columbo appearances are his lasting career legacy. Cassidy plays it broad, but it's always believable. He's got that sleaze/charm routine down pat. Forget about Indiana Jones, I'd ask Spielberg (Murder by the Book) what it was like to direct Jack Cassidy!

Robert Culp-

Death Lends a Hand (1971)
The Most Crucial Game (1972)
Double Exposure (1973)

What I like about Culp's performances is that they actually seem like a real life arrogant S.O.B. Not played over-the-top, but he's like someone you'd meet and then despise. His Bart Kepple barely tolerates Lt. Columbo, but only deals with him because the man is the law. Kudos to Culp for growing a Fu Manchi 'stache for The Most Crucial Game.

Patrick McGoohan-

By Dawn's Early Light (1974)
Identity Crisis (1975)

By Dawn's Early Light is a preview of McGoohan's Escape From Alcatraz warden. Both men are righteous and totally blind in their belief system, with no room for negotiation. Yes, they believe their own tired cliches, like Haynes says to McGoohan in "Early Light."

My favorite McGoohan is Identity Crisis, when The Master brings a charm and "Be seeing you"--a reference to his 1967 series, The Prisoner--to the proceedings. He even gets to play spy with his Steinmetz persona. Love Pat's 1970s threads, too. The fact that McGoohan seemed uncomfortable in his own skin is what I find fascinating about him. The tension he brought to every character he ever played is one of the great aspects of his style.

These three performers are hands down the very best in terms of rapport with Columbo, deviousness, charm, and all-around screen charisma, and they all bring their unique strengths to their roles and make every Columbo in which they appear the most memorable...in my humble opinion, of course.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Columbo's Finest: Cassidy, Culp, and McGoohan

#2 Post by Little Garwood »

The members of Magnum-Mania are renowned the world over for their passion for Columbo. :lol:
Last edited by Little Garwood on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Tom Selleck

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Got the entire series on disc.... :magnum:

Never gets "old".
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood,
Love your post. You cited my 3 favorite Columbo guest stars, plus getting the wink to The Prisoner is awesome as I recall catching that too but in the 1970's not many people even recalled The Prisoner.
McGoohan also sports a dark jacket with white piping in another nod to # 6.
Culp? With his acting and writing talent he could have been a legend but he didnt apply himself enough, what a shame but as you said he was so good on Columbo.
You wrote, "No one's smarmier, sleazier, and yet so utterly charming" about Jack Cassidy and I agree.
In real life, thats also exactly who he was, which sadly prevented his star from shining brighter.
He also appeared in a Bonanza episode as the same kind of fellow he portrayed on Columbo.
He died horribly in a fire, Hollywood types doubting there would be enough people at the funeral to serve as pallbearers.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Little Garwood »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: McGoohan also sports a dark jacket with white piping in another nod to # 6.
Culp? With his acting and writing talent he could have been a legend but he didnt apply himself enough, what a shame but as you said he was so good on Columbo.
You wrote, "No one's smarmier, sleazier, and yet so utterly charming" about Jack Cassidy and I agree.
In real life, thats also exactly who he was, which sadly prevented his star from shining brighter.
I believe that all three of those actors had reputations for being difficult and perhaps even unlikable but that's part of what made them so good at their craft. I'm of the opinion that the definition of a "star" is someone who always plays themselves--and gets away with it. Or, as James Stewart once said in regards to acting: "You play yourself in deference to the character." Every actor can't help but bring elements of their person to the parts they play.

From the photos I've seen of Cassidy's funeral, a lot of people did in fact attend if for nothing else but to support Shirley Jones and her sons. It really was a tragedy that Cassidy died like that, whatever one thinks of his difficult personality. The guy was supremely talented--ever hear him sing? Amazing stuff.

~Tom Selleck

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#6 Post by marlboro »

Jack Cassidy is my pick of those three. He did a great job, and I think the episodes themselves are excellent.

I think McGoohan should get bonus points for Agenda for Murder (1990). True, it's not from the classic era, but it's one of the best of the "new" episodes. His directorial efforts on Columbo were a mixed bag, however; "Last Salute to the Commodore" and "Murder with Too Many Notes" were two of the series worst.

Of the three actors, I like Culp the best. I just don't think his Columbo episodes are as good as the other two guys. The plots of "Double Exposure" and "The Most Crucial Game" just don't seem very plausible to me.

My favorite Columbo villain was actually played by one of the least talented actors to appear on the show - Johnny Cash in "Swan Song." I think his lack of acting polish, actually made his performance seem really natural. He seemed "normal" as opposed to "theatrical." I think that the fact that it was the first one I watched probably skews my view of it a bit. Johnny Cash isn't a great actor but I thought he did a very good job; perfect casting really. He had an incredibly bold plan; I can't think of any of other killer from the series that took such a risk committing his crime. It seems to me that this episode had a higher than usual number of familiar faces in it. And (this being my first Columbo)I actually thought for a second that Johnny Cash was going to get away with it at the end when he got on the plane.

Even the filler scenes were good. I'd much rather listen to Cash sing than watch Falk play the tuba (Sex and the Married Detective) or fiddle with tv monitor dials(Make Me a Perfect Murder).

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

marlboro wrote:Jack Cassidy is my pick of those three. He did a great job, and I think the episodes themselves are excellent.

My favorite Columbo villain was actually played by one of the least talented actors to appear on the show - Johnny Cash in "Swan Song." I think his lack of acting polish, actually made his performance seem really natural. He seemed "normal" as opposed to "theatrical." I think that the fact that it was the first one I watched probably skews my view of it a bit. Johnny Cash isn't a great actor but I thought he did a very good job; perfect casting really. He had an incredibly bold plan; I can't think of any of other killer from the series that took such a risk committing his crime. It seems to me that this episode had a higher than usual number of familiar faces in it. And (this being my first Columbo)I actually thought for a second that Johnny Cash was going to get away with it at the end when he got on the plane.
Even the filler scenes were good. I'd much rather listen to Cash sing than watch Falk play the tuba (Sex and the Married Detective) or fiddle with tv monitor dials(Make Me a Perfect Murder).
Marlboro,
I recall "Swan Song" from when it premiered because Cash sang "Sunday Morning Coming Down".
First time I heard it, it made me a Cash fan forever. As for his acting, I agree with you 100% plus what Garwood said about actors playing themselves applies to Cash.
As you also noted, Culp didnt get the best material to work with in his episodes. They should have let him write and direct his episodes, as the very best I SPYs were the ones he wrote. He was too smart for his own good, Hollywood didnt know how to use him.
I only vaguely recall the George Maharis epiode, was it any good?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Little Garwood »

It's impossible for me to watch the Johnny Cash Columbo episode without getting that Country/Gospel song "I Saw the Light" stuck in my mind for the remainder of the show. :lol: Cash is possibly the most sympathetic Columbo killer, other than perhaps Janet Leigh.

~Tom Selleck