RIP James Garner

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

RIP James Garner

#1 Post by Steve »

Sad to see one of my all time favorite actors (and mentor to Tom Selleck) passed away. Want to see an example of how an actor can completely take over a character and inject his charm and wit into whom in real life was hated by many (F. Ross Johnson) then watch the HBO original movie : Barbarian at the Gate. Or for that matter any project he was involved in..........You will be missed Mr. Garner...........

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: RIP James Garner

#2 Post by 308GUY »

One of my all time favorites as well.

Watched Maverick back "in the day", and Rockford every week when it first aired.

Seen most of his movies, he was one of the great "leading men" IMHO.

Great work ethic, like TS. He had severe back problems from an early age, but always did what was expected of him and rarely held up production of any of his projects because of it, even though he was often in great pain.

He was one of the "good ones" for sure.

R.I.P.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh man, this is the first I've heard of this tragic news! Huge, huge fan of James Garner. What an icon. RIP!!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

From Bret Maverick to the "scrounger" in the Great Escape to Wyatt Earp in Hour of the Gun to of course Jim Rockford, his most famous role. Growing up, my family adored James Garner and I loved watching him in everything he ever did. Maybe not the actor with the greatest "range" but he was the most easygoing and charming performer I've ever seen. I'd say "time to break out the Rockford Files" DVDs, but I already watch them every weekend. I'm currently going through season two. I often eat "Rockford"-style food whenever I watch (hot dogs, burritos, etc.) since ol' Jimmy is often seen stopping off to grab a bite while working on a case (another glimpse into my fascinating life). Watching that show must be a real nostalgia trip for those who lived in SoCal in the 1970s (I've never been there). I still get a kick watching TRF is all that no-doubt vanished era and its locales.

I think of Jim Rockford "passing the P.I. baton" to our man, Thomas Magnum, who carried on that great tradition.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Stelth »

My dad and I always watched Garner's "Support Your Local" movies. He was great in them.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#6 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote:From Bret Maverick to the "scrounger" in the Great Escape to Wyatt Earp in Hour of the Gun to of course Jim Rockford, his most famous role. Growing up, my family adored James Garner and I loved watching him in everything he ever did. Maybe not the actor with the greatest "range" but he was the most easygoing and charming performer I've ever seen. I'd say "time to break out the Rockford Files" DVDs, but I already watch them every weekend. I'm currently going through season two. I often eat "Rockford"-style food whenever I watch (hot dogs, burritos, etc.) since ol' Jimmy is often seen stopping off to grab a bite while working on a case (another glimpse into my fascinating life). Watching that show must be a real nostalgia trip for those who lived in SoCal in the 1970s (I've never been there). I still get a kick watching TRF is all that no-doubt vanished era and its locales.

I think of Jim Rockford "passing the P.I. baton" to our man, Thomas Magnum, who carried on that great tradition.

It's all about the tacos with lots of hot sauce. Even for breakfast!

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by magnumette »

Rest in Peace Jim Garner.You will be missed. Like many others on the board, I grew up watching TRF because my parents watched it. They loved the show. Over time, so did I. He was a class act on and off screen. One of the greats. And yes a mentor to TS as well.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by terryfromkerry »

"This is Jim Rockford. At the tone leave a message and I'll get back to you".

Hi Jim you always made us smile we will miss you :cry:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:From Bret Maverick to the "scrounger" in the Great Escape
I loved that movie, and his character. Especially how he stayed by "The Forger" along the way.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Little Garwood »

One of the many great things about The Rockford Files is its opening credits. I've always liked the shot of Rockford and his female passenger sharing a laugh. Is she his client? A date? Whoever she is, her reaction to whatever the hell Jimbo said or did shows the viewer the kind of easy charm his character had.

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck