Longmire

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Longmire

#16 Post by terryfromkerry »

MagnumILWU wrote:If we're talking about westerns, then I would have to say that "Lonesome Dove" is the best western ever made! Great characters, great stories, the acting! I think everything about that mini-series was perfect! I'm sure my great grandfather, John Martin Kelly from Mayo, would have loved it!
Wow! Larry MacMurtry's Lonesome Dove was terrific. You are so right MagnumILWU. Robert Duvall as Capt. Gus McCrea, Tommy Lee Jones as Capt. Woodrow F. Call. Not to mention the rest of the cast. I experienced every emotion watching this! The scene where Woodrow reacts to the whipping of his illigitimate son......... riding his galloping horse to collide into the protagonist and then beat the c##p out of him with a branding iron. Gus having to knock Woodrow unconsious to prevent him killing the guy. Wow!

I agree with everything you said about Lonesome Dove. I feel if this had been a cinema movie rather than a TV mini-series, there would have been Oscars awarded particularly in my view to Robert Duval for best actor at the very least. The acting all around was awesome. I have read some of Larry MacMurtry's books since and loved them. :)

PS. I am raising a glass to John Martin Kelly the man from Mayo :) . Would have been a good title for a western "THE MAN FROM MAYO" :!:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by terryfromkerry »

Little Garwood wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:On the small screen James Drury "The Virginian" was a terrific role model for any kid.
The Virginian is a show I've always enjoyed. After Gunsmoke and Bonanza, it is the third longest-running prime time western show. I used to post on a Virginian message board and noticed that the program has quite a following in Ireland. I've often wondered what it was about "The V" that the Irish saw that made them such fans, besides being a superb TV program, that is. It's fascinating how certain shows "take hold" in countries outside the US. I believe Bonanza is popular in Germany.
Hi Garwood

It's an interesting observation you make concerning The Virginian's following in Ireland. In rural Ireland in the '60's when the show was aired there was one TV channel. Westerns were hugely popular in the cinema at the time and no shortage of them . Often you would get two westerns billed together for the cinema show. On TV until the late '60's the only western series on Irish TV was The Virginian. I think this is a factor why there is a great love of the show here. In 2008 James Drury visited Galway and attended The Galway Races (horse racing). There were several TV & radio interviews. During his stay he visited Roscommon where his Irish ancesters are from. Appropriately enough at the time of his visit one of our Irish terrestrial TV channels was showing reruns of the series. This was pointed out to him by his TV & radio interviewers and it was clear by his reaction this touched him in a nice way. I feel good that The Virginian received the deserved "100 thousand welcomes" when he came here. He came across as such a lovely guy and of course its always great when our heros live up to our expectations. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

MikeS
Admiral

#18 Post by MikeS »

I liked Longmire, interesting concept, good acting by all. I appreciated seeing grown men with deep voices and masculine features for once - again, unlike most adult men on TV today who are hyper feminized, who appear to have more in common with adolescent girls with their gestures and speech.

Bummed to see that Longmire was canceled, maybe it will get renewed or picked up by another network.
MikeS

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MikeS wrote:I liked Longmire, interesting concept, good acting by all. I appreciated seeing grown men with deep voices and masculine features for once - again, unlike most adult men on TV today who are hyper feminized, who appear to have more in common with adolescent girls with their gestures and speech.
Bummed to see that Longmire was canceled, maybe it will get renewed or picked up by another network.
Holy Smokes Mike, your post is the first I heard Longmire is canceled! What a shame.
And I agree, it was nice to see a regular guy in the lead role for once instead of some slick Hollywood prettyboy who wouldnt last 10 minutes in the real world. Maybe thats why they had to import a Aussie to play Longmire.
I would also say that the actress who portrayed Longmire's blonde deputy has without doubt the best rear in North America. No ifs, ands or butts.
Dobie
Thats Dobie with a 'b' not 'p'...Dwayne Hickman

MikeS
Admiral

#20 Post by MikeS »

MikeS wrote:...maybe it will get renewed or picked up by another network.
It appears Netflix renewed Longmire for a fourth season, plans 10 new episodes :D
MikeS

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#21 Post by ConchRepublican »

MikeS wrote:
MikeS wrote:...maybe it will get renewed or picked up by another network.
It appears Netflix renewed Longmire for a fourth season, plans 10 new episodes :D
Netflix wound up taking Longmire to 6 seasons. I really enjoyed this show. I started my bingeing with the adrenaline ride called Sons of Anarchy, then downshifted the rush, although probably a better series overall, to Justified. Then Longmire smoothed me off the ride with it's high plains, laconic tempo.

Very good show, although I didn't love the female lead.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by Nikita70 »

Really enjoyed Longmire and Justified. Well written and top notch acting as well.

NitroNick50
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#23 Post by NitroNick50 »

N1095A wrote:Anyone seen this one? It's on A&E Monday nights at 10:00. Probably the best new show on TV in my opinion.

I've been watching this on Netflix. Excellent show.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by T.Q. »

N1095A wrote:Anyone seen this one? It's on A&E Monday nights at 10:00. Probably the best new show on TV in my opinion.
And 5 years from your OP someone (me) sees it, binges Longmire... and loved it.

Walt had some great Magnum-like qualities of right/wrong and justice.

Awesome show.

Thanks.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.