Any Walking Dead fans here?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Any Walking Dead fans here?

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

It's become an addiction for me! The only show I watch in real time.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Jake
Rear Admiral

#2 Post by Jake »

Yes, I am digging this show too. One of the few I make sure to watch or DVR every week. I cant believe they left so many guns behind last week! Oh well, maybe that backpack they picked up had some goodies in it!

I have a friend who also reads the books and highly recommends those as well. I think the books and the TV show have roughly the same characters but different storylines. I might check them out someday too.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

I've watched the first two seasons and I really enjoy it. I've never really been into the zombie genre, but this show takes it to a whole new level. Great writing, great acting, great filming. I was totally blown away by the pilot episode. No surprise though since it was helmed by Frank Darabont, one of my favorite directors.

We don't have cable anymore (it's Netflix and Amazon Prime for us only now), so I'm going to have to wait a couple more months before I can get into Season Three. I can't wait!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

I avoid the "popular" shows partly because:
A - there's only so much time to devote to TV shows
B - I'm a snob . . . well not really (maybe a little), but I find that most high rated "popular" shows I don't enjoy. I prefer the quirky fringe shows that don't often "pull across broad demographics". Example - I loved Pushing Daisies, Fringe, Ally McBeal, Scrubs . . . Picket Fences . . . that gives you an idea.

While I heard things about The Walking Dead initially (I'm a comic book geek as well) I didn't have the time to devote to it initially. I finally broke down midway through season two, during a marathon, and I was blown away. I loved the realism they conveyed . . . it wasn't pure gore horror, but more of a comment on human nature when society and civilization is stripped away . . . who are we really?

I was hooked. I now have seasons 1 & 2 on blu-ray and season 3 was appointment TV.

As you noted James, Frank Darabont set the tone . . . this was a serial movie shown on TV. In scope, scale and characterization, this needed time, yet each week was another fix that made the next weeks need stronger. Extremely well written in my mind where the zombies aren't the main focus, but just the eye-catching contrary to human nature and the negative to our best possible positive. And, in many cases, they aren't the worst thing out there. man shows that often we are our own worst enemy.

It's an awesome, epic (in a Sergio Leone, not a hipster slang way) story that has me intrigued. Appointment TV so far.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Seaver41 »

big fan from the word go. It's about the drama, not the gore. Characters are great and they leave enough unanswered to keep you wanting more.

Pretty much anything on AMC I am watching. The Killing is the one I did not watch.

Hell on Wheels.....good show.

Breaking Bad......AWESOME

Mad Men......ok...dry at times

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Kevster »

Seaver41 wrote:big fan from the word go. It's about the drama, not the gore. Characters are great and they leave enough unanswered to keep you wanting more.

Pretty much anything on AMC I am watching. The Killing is the one I did not watch.

Hell on Wheels.....good show.

Breaking Bad......AWESOME

Mad Men......ok...dry at times
I'm with you about AMC. I've tried to get into Hell On Wheels, but I just can't. I haven't followed BB, but what I've seen is great. They are making some great drama right now.

And they run John Wayne westerns on a regular basis... Bonus!!!

Good thing, because almost nothing on the "Big 4" makes me want to watch. I forget to even look at those when I surf. It is all CSI/L&O, reality shows, and propoganda on the traditional networks. Why bother?
Trust Me!!!

Jake
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Jake »

Sundays haven't been the same since the season ended! To help curb my withdrawal symptoms I picked up the hardcover books to read. I have had several people into the comics/books highly recommend them and I finally pulled the trigger ($164 shipped free via Amazon for hardcovers 1-8, by far the best price I found). The characters/storyline differ a bit from the show, but the two are similar enough that I might get a peek into where the show is going once I get into book 5 and beyond. Now I just need to start making the time to start reading!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's killing me not seeing any of Season Three. People keep talking about it everywhere. I have to hold my hands up to my ears and say, "la la la la". It's an especially long wait considering my last memory of the series is that great final shot to the finale of Season Two; a chick with a sword who is toting around a couple of jawless/armless zombie minions! WTF! :) Please make it to Netflix... soon! The anticipation is killing me!
ConchRepublican wrote:as you noted James, Frank Darabont set the tone . . . this was a serial movie shown on TV. In scope, scale and characterization, this needed time, yet each week was another fix that made the next weeks need stronger. Extremely well written in my mind where the zombies aren't the main focus, but just the eye-catching contrary to human nature and the negative to our best possible positive.
Truthfully, Darabont's involvement is the only real reason why I gave the show a shot. The man can do no wrong in my opinion. I knew Jeffrey DeMunn and Laurie Holden would be good, but Andrew Lincoln and Jon Bernthal really sealed the deal for me. What a great show. It's a shame Darabont left, but it seems the show is still on solid ground.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Seaver41 »

I got addicted to Breaking Bad when they ran a marathon of all seasons before the last one began. It spoiled me. I then started to look into a couple shows that I had not seen in real time, but would look at in reruns. I became so addicted to Breaking Bad I was watching 2-3 episodes a night. The big negative is the withdrawal you feel having to wait week to week for now ones once you catdch up.

Game of Thrones.......fell for it watching both seasons in about 2 weeks on HBO on Demand. Now watching the 3rd season live, it sucks having to wait and season 3 is already half over. I highly recommend this show.

ConchRepublican

Re: Any Walking Dead fans here?

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

The mid season finale last night was wild!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by terryfromkerry »

ConchRepublican wrote:The mid season finale last night was wild!!!
Hey Conch ,

My wife is a huge Walking Dead fan. Horror for me is Bela Legosi / Dracula ( 1931) and Boris Karloff / Frankenstein (1931) and while I digress I loved Peter Boyle "putting on the ritz" in the Mel Brooks version.

I normally avoid horror films or tv series of that genre but my son had read the graphic novel of The Walking Dead and recommended we both watch it. I agreed to watch the pilot with my wife. She wanted to see it but would not view it alone. Being a loving and supportive hubby I said ok. I was thinking to myself I could close my eyes when the need arose.

However I was immediately hooked and we have followed the whole series. We are a little bit behind you in the US but saw the mid season finale last night . We were both blown away .......... it was EXCELLANT TO SAY THE LEAST!!!!
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ConchRepublican

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

terryfromkerry wrote:
Hey Conch ,

My wife is a huge Walking Dead fan. Horror for me is Bela Legosi / Dracula ( 1931) and Boris Karloff / Frankenstein (1931) and while I digress I loved Peter Boyle "putting on the ritz" in the Mel Brooks version.

I normally avoid horror films or tv series of that genre but my son had read the graphic novel of The Walking Dead and recommended we both watch it. I agreed to watch the pilot with my wife. She wanted to see it but would not view it alone. Being a loving and supportive hubby I said ok. I was thinking to myself I could close my eyes when the need arose.

However I was immediately hooked and we have followed the whole series. We are a little bit behind you in the US but saw the mid season finale last night . We were both blown away .......... it was EXCELLANT TO SAY THE LEAST!!!!
Glad you're enjoying it TfromK!

I wanted to see it the first season, but something came up (I think my DVR was full) and I missed it. Then the rave reviews started building. I'm not a Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead person, but I figured I should give this a shot, if only to support the comic book world. I caught a marathon weekend midway through season two and I was hooked!

My wife isn't as big a fan . . . the story she likes but the gore and horror side of it she could do without. that leaves me . . . alone . . . at night. With only my texting buddies to hold my hand. :-)

I thought the mid-season finale was outstanding. Many theories about what's to come, but I am in the camp Judith is alive and with Tyreese.
CoziTV Superfan spot

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by terryfromkerry »

ConchRepublican wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:
Hey Conch ,

Glad you're enjoying it TfromK!

I wanted to see it the first season, but something came up (I think my DVR was full) and I missed it. Then the rave reviews started building. I'm not a Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead person, but I figured I should give this a shot, if only to support the comic book world. I caught a marathon weekend midway through season two and I was hooked!

My wife isn't as big a fan . . . the story she likes but the gore and horror side of it she could do without. that leaves me . . . alone . . . at night. With only my texting buddies to hold my hand. :-)

I thought the mid-season finale was outstanding. Many theories about what's to come, but I am in the camp Judith is alive and with Tyreese.
My wife and I are hoping you are right and baby Judith is alive. Nollag Shona duit.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ConchRepublican

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

terryfromkerry wrote: My wife and I are hoping you are right and baby Judith is alive. Nollag Shona duit.
Watch the episode again . . . when Judith is seen with the girls she's buckled in the carrier. When Rick and Carl find the bloody carrier, the buckles are undone. Zombies would have gone to town and not taken the time (or had the manual dexterity) to unbuckle their appetizer . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by terryfromkerry »

LOL well spotted .......... I 'll keep both eyes open in future.