Remington Steele

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Remington Steele

#1 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Since we've got a Hart to Hart topic, how about one for Remington Steele? I just discovered that all 5 seasons are streaming on Prime so I watched the pilot last night. It was pretty cute, but moved a little slow and it hasn't been remastered so it looks kind of drab. That said, Stephanie and Pierce are pretty cute together and I like Laura Holt's wardrobe so I'll watch some more of it. I remember my mom liked it back in the day.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Remington Steele

#2 Post by Pahonu »

I recall that there was a conversation about Remington Steele on another thread here… somewhere. It was when the Decades channel played the series on a weekend binge, as they call it, perhaps a year or two ago. I also remember the topic of Laura’s white convertible VW Rabbit came up and I noted that my now wife had one handed down to her in about 1990-91 and she still had it when we met a few years later. She drove it until around 2000, and I did several times as well. She’s on her third VV convertible now, the last two being Beetles, and the most recent is white!

It’s probably time the show has its own thread so it doesn’t get lost. I watched quite a few episodes at the time of the binge but not since. I’ll likely not be rewatching but will comment if I remember anything about episodes you post about. :D

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by eagle »

I have always liked Remington Steele. Cool to see that it is available somewhere today, for those who have Prime Video.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I've watched thru episode 6 and it's pretty good. The detective agency seems to exist in a world without cops, but it's a cute show with a lot of charm. As appealing as Pierce Brosnan was and is, James Read as Murphy Michaels was a total hottie and had good chemistry with Stephanie Zimbalist (maybe better than Brosnan). Tall and hunky with a deep voice, it's no wonder they had to get rid of him after the first season--he was overshadowing the future 007. I do wonder why Stephanie didn't become a bigger star, she was only 31/32 when the show ended and she had a lot of appeal.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#5 Post by Pahonu »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:00 pm I've watched thru episode 6 and it's pretty good. The detective agency seems to exist in a world without cops, but it's a cute show with a lot of charm. As appealing as Pierce Brosnan was and is, James Read as Murphy Michaels was a total hottie and had good chemistry with Stephanie Zimbalist (maybe better than Brosnan). Tall and hunky with a deep voice, it's no wonder they had to get rid of him after the first season--he was overshadowing the future 007. I do wonder why Stephanie didn't become a bigger star, she was only 31/32 when the show ended and she had a lot of appeal.
I agree that Zimbalist was a better actor than Brosnan, at least in this case. I always enjoyed the references to old films that appeared in the show, particularly film noir, like The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, and Chinatown. I also liked when they introduced the Auburn boat tail speedster.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I always enjoyed the references to old films that appeared in the show
Yes those are fun. I really like the music, too. I rarely pay much attention to music in TV shows unless it's popular stuff that I recognize, but Mancini's music in RS gives the show a classy, timeless vibe.