The Rockford Files

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: The Rockford Files

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Came across this cool 1996 Rockford Files novel by Stuart Kaminsky at a used book store the other day. Kaminsky is a top shelf, Edgar Award-winning mystery author. I have several of his Inspector Rostnikov books. I didn't realize he did some Rockford Files books! He apparently did two -- this one and Devil on My Doorstep (1998). Can't wait to read it!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by 308GUY »

Very cool find.

Let us know how it reads and how you liked it. :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MagnumILWU »

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56D02052 Found this on the Facebook page- "Mavericks and Misfits-A Shrine to 70's US TV crime"! Copy of pilot script, with name found by creators in a staff directory(according to the story). Now if Rockford had kept that name, would Magnum have been Thomas later on?
"pickled egg please"

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KingKC »

Since I am still a newbie and getting in my two cents everywhere I will say that if I picked one private detective actor that men wanted to be like and women wanted to be with it would be James Garner/Jim Rockford. The show was also more believable and less fantasy than Magnum. I can see a former convict as a down on his luck LA private detective living in a trailer with a retired truck driving father before I can see a former naval intelligence officer living free on a plush Hawaiian estate driving a Ferrari. Don't get me wrong. Magnum PI was a great show and I will have significant memories of it for many reasons but I also liked Rockford Files.

KingKC

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Little Garwood »

I watch two episodes of The Rockford Files each week, usually while eating Rockford-style foods like burritos or tacos.

The Rockford Files has earned and continued to retain its title as the greatest private detective series of them all...though Magnum will always be my personal favorite. The Rockford Files, however, is never less than magnificent most of the time.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#26 Post by marlboro »

Kind of off topic, but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone else think that James Garner rarely had chemistry with his female romantic interests? I'm a dude, so I'm not the best judge of these things but there rarely seemed to be a "spark" there. I never really noticed it until I watched Maverick and realized that Jack Kelly was much more believable in the romantic scenes.

I feel the same way about a lot of the romantic scenes in Magnum with TM and his various love interests. Maybe it just takes more than 60 minutes to develop chemistry between two characters.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by KingKC »

marlboro wrote:Kind of off topic, but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone else think that James Garner rarely had chemistry with his female romantic interests? I'm a dude, so I'm not the best judge of these things but there rarely seemed to be a "spark" there. I never really noticed it until I watched Maverick and realized that Jack Kelly was much more believable in the romantic scenes.

I feel the same way about a lot of the romantic scenes in Magnum with TM and his various love interests. Maybe it just takes more than 60 minutes to develop chemistry between two characters.
I have to agree with you as to both James Garner as Rockford and Tom Selleck as Magnum. Maybe the producers, writers and directors did not want to see either one get too seriously involved and have to carry a theme, or a girlfriend, throughout the show. Maybe they didn't want either to look cheesy and promiscuous. Look at the way Tom Selleck's character Jesse Stone hooked up so easily but that show came on some twenty years after Magnum and almost 30 years after Rockford. I don't think TV of the Seventies and Eighties wanted to explicitly portray the star as a slut puppy (excuse the expression). Magnum was clearly "beefcake" or "eye candy" but he never came off as shallow with his relationships. The episode(s) with the steamy scenes and Sharon Stone kind of surprised me to be honest with you. I don't recall anymore like it for the rest of the series. The closest he came to any romantic interest I think was Dana Delaney and the Cynthia Ferrell character that nothing ever worked out with.

KingKC

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Little Garwood »

I think that Garner's chemistry with his female co-stars was pretty solid, though not as energized as in the Polaroid commercials he made with Mariette Hartley! Garner IMO had the best onscreen chemistry with his younger, not-as-well-known guest actresses. I'd say that Garner's onscreen chemistry compares favorably to Selleck's, whose onscreen interactions could be occasionally awkward. However, I've always conveniently chalked that up to "The Michelle Factor." :wink:

One of my favorite bits from TRF's opening credits is when Jim is sharing a laugh with this goddess in blue eye shadow:

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by KingKC »

Wow Garwood!! Thanks for that memory of James Garner and Mariette Hartley in the Polaroid commercials. I remember people thinking they were in a relationship in real life if not married. There was definitely chemistry in that commercial.

KingKC

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#30 Post by Steve »

Pahonu wrote:
Buck wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:agreed on the theme song/opening. I was never a religious watcher back in the day (only 45 now), but I saw my fair share. Good show and just haven't found a vehicle to watch it now (Directv customer). Not at point where I would buy the DVDs (still getting through my Magnum collection-baseball season has stalled me).

I do like James Garner a lot. Played a great role in the Great Escape as the Scrounger. Definitely a great everyman.
James Garner was good in Barbarians at the Gate. He plays the CEO of RJR Nabisco who tries to buy the company. Garner was very good. It is different than Rockford, but still good.
I forgot all about Barbarians at the Gate. That's been many years now, but I really remember liking it.
One of my all time favorite movies, I even bought the DVD as HBO doesn't show it any longer. I recall the one small criticism at the time is Garner is just so darn charming an actor that he made F. Ross Johnson look more loveable than he was in real life....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#31 Post by marlboro »

KingKC wrote:Wow Garwood!! Thanks for that memory of James Garner and Mariette Hartley in the Polaroid commercials. I remember people thinking they were in a relationship in real life if not married. There was definitely chemistry in that commercial.

KingKC

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by KingKC »

GREAT PIC!!!! Thanks Marlboro!!!!

KingKC

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Frodoleader »

I never watched Rockford during its initial run, but my wife did. It always amazed me when we would watch an episode on MeTV and she would point out what was about to happen on the show (Yes, my dear beloved wife is one of those people that have to talk/discuss while watching something on TV). I was always amazed at how well she remembered these episodes from the 70's.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

marlboro wrote:Kind of off topic, but I'll ask anyway.
Hi Marlboro,
I think - in my humble opinion - it wasn't a case of lack of chemistry as much as it being deliberate. Rockford is a stone cynic, about everyone and everything. The justice system, the ultimate expression of Americanism and your rights as a citizen, falsely convicted Rockford and threw him in jail for years!
What could be more damaging to your faith in all "isms" or values or people.
As when his Korean War service is brought up he is usually disgusted by memories of waste and stupid behavior rather than focusing on his heroics or his buddies(just like Garner in real life).
His female clients on the show constantly betray him or dismiss his heroism on their behalf.
Almost all his romances also ended due to women letting him down, at least that's how Rockford recalls them when he runs into old flames.
The women in Maverick(and Rockford is nothing if not Son of Maverick) were portrayed the same way. There is another factor. Garner, like Robert Mitchum was a man's man type who was embarrassed by his "sex symbol" status and rolled his eyes at the idea that his character was scoring a new chick(like Linda Evans!) so often.
Just an aside, but I think Rockford was nuts when he turned down the romantic overtures of Linda Evan's bikini clad grifter character. It was 40 years ago but I vividly recall Evans in that white bikini.
You can have the Mona Lisa, I'd rather have a picture of that.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

removed by Dobie
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.