1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Any Gunsmoke fans?

#16 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
marlboro wrote:Gunsmoke on the Radio

I really enjoyed it. Truthfully, I think I prefer it to the 30 minute episodes of the tv series. Here are my top 25 favorite episodes, and a few random musings about the series.

I'm sure a few of these episodes could be moved to slightly higher or lower spots, but this is (basically) the order I would rank my favorite episodes.

My Top 25:

02/14/1953 THE ROUNDUP
04/02/1955 BLOODY HANDS
04/30/1955 REWARD FOR MATT
10/02/1954 MATT GETS IT
09/27/1952 THE RAILROAD
07/19/1959 SECOND ARREST
09/19/1953 THERE WAS NEVER A HORSE
10/21/1956 TILL DEATH DO US PART
12/27/1952 THE CABIN
06/06/1953 SUNDOWN
11/10/1956 CROWBAIT BOB
03/20/1954 OLD FRIEND
08/08/1953 SKY
09/23/1956 BOX O' ROCKS
07/22/1956 LYNCHING MAN
02/21/1953 MESHOUGAH
02/26/1955 CRACKUP
03/06/1960 BLOOD MONEY
09/20/1954 THE F.U.
12/06/1959 BIG CHUGG WILSON
01/01/1955 THE BOTTLE MAN
07/02/1955 GENERAL PARSLEY SMITH
11/03/1957 BULL
05/06/1956 THE PHOTOGRAPHER
05/09/1953 THE BUFFALO HUNTER

Favorite Doc episodes:

01/31/1953 CAVALCADE
07/27/1958 THE CAST (Very similar in theme to "Cow Doctor" but I like this one a tiny bit better)

Favorite Kitty episodes:
11/29/1952 KITTY
02/19/1961 KITTY LOVE

Favorite Chester episodes:
03/08/1959 MAW HAWKINS
09/25/1960 DOC JUDGE
04/30/1961 EX-URBANITES

The Cast:
William Conrad was excellent. He had an amazing voice that was just perfect for the character. I think he had a strength and maturity that James Arness didn't attain until he had aged a bit.
Parley Baer was also very good; I prefer him to Dennis Weaver.
Howard McNear's doc was also very good. He isn't as grumpy as his tv counterpart, but he is still very funny. Other differences: he drinks a lot more and has an eye for the ladies. I like McNear and Milburn Stone's interpretations of the character equally.

Georgia Ellis is ok. Not nearly as good as Amanda Blake. I think part of the problem was that many important scenes in episodes centered around Kitty (like "Kitty's Rebellion") were written in ways that would have worked better on tv. You can't convey a subtle facial expression on the radio.
Violence:
The tv show never shied away from it, but the radio guys reveled in it. You ever wonder what it sounds like when someone gets poked with a pitchfork, falls down a flight of stairs or gets hit in the head with an ax? Listen to this show.
The Writers:
John Meston wrote some amazing scripts in the early seasons. Though there were still some excellent episodes produced after he moved to tv, there was a drop off in overall quality imo.

Best Vocal Performance:

Jeanette Nolan in "The Railroad." Great dialog by David Ellis , but a sensational delivery by Nolan.

Radio vs TV:

Some times the radio adaptation were better. Sometimes they weren't quite as good. You can show action more easily with a camera, but television can't produce the sets and atmosphere that the radio program instills in your imagination. It's the "Theatre of the Mind" as they say, and a Hollywood soundstage can't compete with that. I do think that the tv version handled comedy much better though.
I was surprised at the number of great scripts that were never reproduced for tv. There are quite a few radio shows that would have made classic tv episodes.

Characters:

You will never experience the things that the characters in these stories do in your daily life, but you still understand them. You still empathize with them. The characters are so real that they are timeless.
Cigarettes:
Did you know that they are AWESOME?! It's true. Thank goodness for all of those L&M commercials or I would never have known that their cigarettes were "the best" were doctor recommended and made excellent Christmas presents. Seriously, they claimed all of those things. Boy, the world sure has changed.

Intelligence:
I am struck by how this series didn't "dumb down" their scripts. Unlike many modern shows, they had respect for their audience's intelligence. The shows didn't always end in the way you wanted them to; there was no mandatory happy ending.

Often the stories weren't even complete "stories" like what you typically see on television. As William Conrad pointed out, they are often "incidents" that take place inside the framework of another story. A story begins with Matt setting out to capture a thief, but then the episode ends up being about his encounter with the thief's mother. The "story" is Matt trying to catch an outlaw - the heart of the episode is the woman's moral dilemma.

No Final Episode:

Just as with the TV show, the radio program was dropped without warning. So unfair. I will never understand the mentality of these network executives. If I were to choose a final episode to go out on, I would pick "Bloody Hands" from 04/02/1955. Not that I think that the series should have ended then; I just think that episode sums up what Matt and Gunsmoke are all about.

Final thought: This is a great series that I would recommend to anyone - not just fans of Gunsmoke or westerns. It's so well written that I think anyone can enjoy it. It's sad that the golden age of radio has passed away. On the other hand, it's wonderful that the internet will preserve them forever for future generations. It's fitting in a way - Gunsmoke was a program telling wonderful stories about a legendary time that has long since passed - the internet is allowing us to do the same thing by keeping those shows and their stories alive.
If anyone is interested, all of these episodes can be listened to for free at the Internet Archive.
Hi Marlboro,
Terrific post, chock full of info, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. I am very glad you included the radio Gunsmoke too, which I enjoy also. You know your stuff.
I'd like to know your opinion of one of the 1/2 hour tv episodes. It guest starred Claude Akins
as a lowlife outlaw who along with his sidekick murder a man in his isolated cabin and for weeks there after have been molesting his widow and making her their utterly degraded slave.
A lot of the horror of the situation could only be implied, but like in Hitchcock films, not showing horrors graphically can be even more effective. You might think there would be a 'happy' ending after Matt kills Akins but instead, the poor widow has been left a soulless ruin who tells an aghast Matt she now is going to go to Frisco to work as a hooker on the Barbary Coast.
This is amazing for a 1950's tv show, the subject matter itself and the brutal ending.
People who think that only recently on cable tv have we finally gotten adult subject matter only have to look at Naked City, Route 66, and Gunsmoke.
Breaking Bad is a great achievement on many levels in a technical sense but there is more (brutal though it might be) humanity and understanding of the human condition in this one Gunsmoke episode than in the entire run of the soulless Breaking Bad.
Perhaps you know the name of this Gunsmoke episode, Marlboro?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by KENJI »

marlboro wrote:Gunsmoke on the Radio

I really enjoyed it. Truthfully, I think I prefer it to the 30 minute episodes of the tv series. Here are my top 25 favorite episodes, and a few random musings about the series.

I'm sure a few of these episodes could be moved to slightly higher or lower spots, but this is (basically) the order I would rank my favorite episodes.

My Top 25:

02/14/1953 THE ROUNDUP
04/02/1955 BLOODY HANDS
04/30/1955 REWARD FOR MATT
10/02/1954 MATT GETS IT
09/27/1952 THE RAILROAD
07/19/1959 SECOND ARREST
09/19/1953 THERE WAS NEVER A HORSE
10/21/1956 TILL DEATH DO US PART
12/27/1952 THE CABIN
06/06/1953 SUNDOWN
11/10/1956 CROWBAIT BOB
03/20/1954 OLD FRIEND
08/08/1953 SKY
09/23/1956 BOX O' ROCKS
07/22/1956 LYNCHING MAN
02/21/1953 MESHOUGAH
02/26/1955 CRACKUP
03/06/1960 BLOOD MONEY
09/20/1954 THE F.U.
12/06/1959 BIG CHUGG WILSON
01/01/1955 THE BOTTLE MAN
07/02/1955 GENERAL PARSLEY SMITH
11/03/1957 BULL
05/06/1956 THE PHOTOGRAPHER
05/09/1953 THE BUFFALO HUNTER

Favorite Doc episodes:

01/31/1953 CAVALCADE
07/27/1958 THE CAST (Very similar in theme to "Cow Doctor" but I like this one a tiny bit better)

Favorite Kitty episodes:
11/29/1952 KITTY
02/19/1961 KITTY LOVE

Favorite Chester episodes:
03/08/1959 MAW HAWKINS
09/25/1960 DOC JUDGE
04/30/1961 EX-URBANITES

The Cast:
William Conrad was excellent. He had an amazing voice that was just perfect for the character. I think he had a strength and maturity that James Arness didn't attain until he had aged a bit.
Parley Baer was also very good; I prefer him to Dennis Weaver.
Howard McNear's doc was also very good. He isn't as grumpy as his tv counterpart, but he is still very funny. Other differences: he drinks a lot more and has an eye for the ladies. I like McNear and Milburn Stone's interpretations of the character equally.

Georgia Ellis is ok. Not nearly as good as Amanda Blake. I think part of the problem was that many important scenes in episodes centered around Kitty (like "Kitty's Rebellion") were written in ways that would have worked better on tv. You can't convey a subtle facial expression on the radio.
Violence:
The tv show never shied away from it, but the radio guys reveled in it. You ever wonder what it sounds like when someone gets poked with a pitchfork, falls down a flight of stairs or gets hit in the head with an ax? Listen to this show.
The Writers:
John Meston wrote some amazing scripts in the early seasons. Though there were still some excellent episodes produced after he moved to tv, there was a drop off in overall quality imo.

Best Vocal Performance:

Jeanette Nolan in "The Railroad." Great dialog by David Ellis , but a sensational delivery by Nolan.

Radio vs TV:

Some times the radio adaptation were better. Sometimes they weren't quite as good. You can show action more easily with a camera, but television can't produce the sets and atmosphere that the radio program instills in your imagination. It's the "Theatre of the Mind" as they say, and a Hollywood soundstage can't compete with that. I do think that the tv version handled comedy much better though.
I was surprised at the number of great scripts that were never reproduced for tv. There are quite a few radio shows that would have made classic tv episodes.

Characters:

You will never experience the things that the characters in these stories do in your daily life, but you still understand them. You still empathize with them. The characters are so real that they are timeless.
Cigarettes:
Did you know that they are AWESOME?! It's true. Thank goodness for all of those L&M commercials or I would never have known that their cigarettes were "the best" were doctor recommended and made excellent Christmas presents. Seriously, they claimed all of those things. Boy, the world sure has changed.

Intelligence:
I am struck by how this series didn't "dumb down" their scripts. Unlike many modern shows, they had respect for their audience's intelligence. The shows didn't always end in the way you wanted them to; there was no mandatory happy ending.

Often the stories weren't even complete "stories" like what you typically see on television. As William Conrad pointed out, they are often "incidents" that take place inside the framework of another story. A story begins with Matt setting out to capture a thief, but then the episode ends up being about his encounter with the thief's mother. The "story" is Matt trying to catch an outlaw - the heart of the episode is the woman's moral dilemma.

No Final Episode:

Just as with the TV show, the radio program was dropped without warning. So unfair. I will never understand the mentality of these network executives. If I were to choose a final episode to go out on, I would pick "Bloody Hands" from 04/02/1955. Not that I think that the series should have ended then; I just think that episode sums up what Matt and Gunsmoke are all about.

Final thought: This is a great series that I would recommend to anyone - not just fans of Gunsmoke or westerns. It's so well written that I think anyone can enjoy it. It's sad that the golden age of radio has passed away. On the other hand, it's wonderful that the internet will preserve them forever for future generations. It's fitting in a way - Gunsmoke was a program telling wonderful stories about a legendary time that has long since passed - the internet is allowing us to do the same thing by keeping those shows and their stories alive.
If anyone is interested, all of these episodes can be listened to for free at the Internet Archive.
Hi Marlboro,
Terrific post, chock full of info, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. I am very glad you included the radio Gunsmoke too, which I enjoy also. You know your stuff.
I'd like to know your opinion of one of the 1/2 hour tv episodes. It guest starred Claude Akins
as a lowlife outlaw who along with his sidekick murder a man in his isolated cabin and for weeks there after have been molesting his widow and making her their utterly degraded slave.
A lot of the horror of the situation could only be implied, but like in Hitchcock films, not showing horrors graphically can be even more effective. You might think there would be a 'happy' ending after Matt kills Akins but instead, the poor widow has been left a soulless ruin who tells an aghast Matt she now is going to go to Frisco to work as a hooker on the Barbary Coast.
This is amazing for a 1950's tv show, the subject matter itself and the brutal ending.
People who think that only recently on cable tv have we finally gotten adult subject matter only have to look at Naked City, Route 66, and Gunsmoke.
Breaking Bad is a great achievement on many levels in a technical sense but there is more (brutal though it might be) humanity and understanding of the human condition in this one Gunsmoke episode than in the entire run of the soulless Breaking Bad.

Hi Dobie,

I think that episode was The Cabin.
I vaguely remember the murdered man being the father and not the husband of the lady you mentioned, but it's been a LONG time since I've watched the show so the cobwebs are a bit thick and I could be way off.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:[quote
Hi Dobie,
I think that episode was The Cabin.
I vaguely remember the murdered man being the father and not the husband of the lady you mentioned, but it's been a LONG time since I've watched the show so the cobwebs are a bit thick and I could be way off.
KENJI,
Thank you so much for providing the episode title as now I can keep an eye out for it when its rerun again. Magnum Mania fans are the best.
Dobie

Route 66 episode # 86 Narcissus On An Old Red Fire Engine:
Tod to Linc: The Greeks lied about Narcissus. He didn't fall in love with himself.
He'd never known what love was. So he couldn't accept it or reject it.
He could just look for it.
When he saw his own image reflected in that pool of water, he didn't fall in love with
himself, he fell in hate with himself.
Linc to Janie: Stop looking in mirrors, Janie. There are windows all around.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#19 Post by marlboro »

Yeah, that is definitely "The Cabin." Great episode, but I prefer the radio version just a tiny bit more.