wind4fuel
Lieutenant

One West Waikiki?

#1 Post by wind4fuel »

One West Waikiki was it any good? :)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I loved "One West Waikiki"!! It was really good, and an early version of what "CSI" (2000-Present) and "Crossing Jordan" (2001-2007) eventually became. It was probably more like "Crossing Jordan" but it really tried to integrate the field of forensics into each episode.

Set in tropical Hawaii, and starring my favorite "Angel"--the gorgeous Cheryl Ladd (from "Charlie's Angels")--this crime drama was awesome! It also had a really awesome theme song!

For whatever reason CBS didn't give it much of a chance...and shelved it after so many episodes. It premiered in the summer of 1994 and in early September it suddenly was not on. Later they did air the show for a while...but it was on late at night. The last episodes aired, after the show had been officially cancelled, through sometime in early 96.

I have most, if not all, episodes on tape (some original airings), but I wish it would be put on DVD. There's probably some bootleg DVD sets floating around but I don't know how good the quality would be??
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by steveadl »

Bought it on DVD a few weeks back, will leave my thoughts here once I get around to watching it.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MaiTaiMan »

steveadl wrote:Bought it on DVD a few weeks back, will leave my thoughts here once I get around to watching it.
Yeah...I saw it for sale on a website about a year ago. I considered buying it, but it was pretty expensive...so I decided to wait.

I loved the show, so I would love to have it on DVD...but I don't know what the quality will be like. Keep in mind, it's not an official studio release...it most likely will be reruns someone burned onto DVD's. They'll either be original airings (which would be nice) or most likely reruns that I believe the Lifetime network aired a few years ago.

Once you watch a few episodes, steveadl, at least say if the episodes were fairly decent to watch, or not. Awesome you got the show! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by steveadl »

Yeah I bought it off iOffer.com $25 - the other shows I've got off there are just average quality recorded from TV. I assume this one will be the same.

But that's ok, if that's all I can get it'll have to do. The 'North Shore' series I had from the net was quite good quality - so I'm assuming that was copied from reruns of the show somewhere in the US more recently as opposed to old taped copies. But then it's a much more recent show as well.

Will update on DVD quality once I get around to watching them. Coming to the end of 'North Shore' soon, so will have to decide what's next...

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MaiTaiMan »

steveadl wrote:Yeah I bought it off iOffer.com $25 - the other shows I've got off there are just average quality recorded from TV. I assume this one will be the same.

But that's ok, if that's all I can get it'll have to do. The 'North Shore' series I had from the net was quite good quality - so I'm assuming that was copied from reruns of the show somewhere in the US more recently as opposed to old taped copies. But then it's a much more recent show as well.

Will update on DVD quality once I get around to watching them. Coming to the end of 'North Shore' soon, so will have to decide what's next...
Yeah, ioffer.com was where I saw it last year too. However, $25 is a much nicer price than the set I'd seen...it was more like $65--it was pretty outrageous, so that's why I held off, even though I love Cheryl Ladd and the show.

Most shows on ioffer are reruns that are copies from old tapes that have been burned on DVD's...or some newer ones might be somehow burned directly from the airing to a DVD. But, most sets are of the best quality available with not being studio quality!

However, a few years ago I bought a complete series set of the 80's cop show "Hunter"--and it was SUPERB! It was just as good as, if not better, than studio quality! The episodes were reruns from the 2004-2006 TV Land airings. But, the sound and picture were outstanding!

If you want a show bad enough, and the studio that owns it hasn't put it out yet or stopped putting DVD sets out after only a couple seasons, you do what ya gotta do! :wink: Something is always better than nothing. :)

I might have to see about a "One West Waikiki" set soon. 8)

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by steveadl »

Spot on MTM. I would rather have bought an official studio released box set for the quality (and the aesthetic appeal in my collection) however as you said - many of the more obscure shows aren't released. If they do in the future I will still likely buy them.

I also have in the Hawaii collection from iOffer still to watch: 'Beyond the Break' Season 1 (and the guy is still working on seasons 2 & 3), 'Hawaii' starring Michael Biehn & 'Real World 8: Hawaii'. Now if I just had some more time to actually watch them....

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MaiTaiMan »

steveadl wrote:Spot on MTM. I would rather have bought an official studio released box set for the quality (and the aesthetic appeal in my collection) however as you said - many of the more obscure shows aren't released. If they do in the future I will still likely buy them.

I also have in the Hawaii collection from iOffer still to watch: 'Beyond the Break' Season 1 (and the guy is still working on seasons 2 & 3), 'Hawaii' starring Michael Biehn & 'Real World 8: Hawaii'. Now if I just had some more time to actually watch them....
I would always rather buy official studio releases! But, sometimes they're not available. Also, some shows that I've gotten from sites like ioffer.com were not originally released on DVD--with some of the studios originally saying they did not plan to release them. Then later for whatever reason they did decide to start releasing the shows to DVD anyway. I usually end up buying the official ones too if they come out, and just keep the homemade ioffer sets as back-ups.

I'm not sure what show "Beyond the Break" is? I'll have to look into that one. I remember "Hawaii" with Michael Biehn...from the fall of 2004. But, it only lasted a few episodes before getting cancelled. I was greatly disappointed! :(

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by steveadl »

I believe http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448950url]Beyond The Break is a younger audience oriented series. At least it went for a few years (assuming I can get my hands on series 2 & 3 at some point).

Had a quick check of the quality of that one when it arrived and it's not fantastic, but I'll still watch it. If the series itself isn't interesting, at least it will have plenty of the Hawaiian landscape to look at since it's based on surfing etc.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MaiTaiMan »

steveadl wrote:I believe http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448950url]Beyond The Break is a younger audience oriented series. At least it went for a few years (assuming I can get my hands on series 2 & 3 at some point).

Had a quick check of the quality of that one when it arrived and it's not fantastic, but I'll still watch it. If the series itself isn't interesting, at least it will have plenty of the Hawaiian landscape to look at since it's based on surfing etc.
Hey, anything that takes place in Hawaii, or a tropical location, can't be all bad! :wink:

Sometimes the quality of the sets from sites like ioffer.com are not "perfect"...but it may be the best available. I have complete series sets of the old classic detective shows "Hawaiian Eye" and "Surfside 6" I got from there a couple years ago. I don't know how...but some of those episodes are original airings complete with the original commercials! :o Most of those are not the best quality because they were probably close to 40-45 years old when copied over to tapes...then to DVD's. But, I love watching the original commercials from the late 50's and early 60's--they're hilarious but very nostalgic! :) Other episodes are reruns from the GoodLife network from probably 5-10 years ago. If that's the only thing available...I'll take it! But, if those two shows ever get officially released, I would definitely buy those!

A lot of the older shows (especially more rare ones like "Hawaiian Eye" and "Surfside 6") were allowed to enter "Public Domain"--in other words the studios that once owned them allowed their contracts to expire. Then, any person that makes copies can basically sell them. Other shows had been in Public Domain at one time...but recently have been bought up by other companies putting DVD's of older TV shows out--that's why we're seeing some official releases of shows that before you could only find on sites like ioffer. Then there's always true "bootleg".

I always buy official if it's available--as it's always the best quality. But, if official sets have never been put out, and I want a show bad enough, I'll do what I gotta' do to get it. :wink:

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

Re: One West Waikiki?

#11 Post by steveadl »

Finally getting around to watching One West Waikiki! First scenes of the first episode are filmed opposite Rabbit Island, and on shore footage shot at the little foot jetty about 300m down the beach from the Anderson Estate :)

Next scenes establishing shot, a hand glider going over the edge of mountain range overlooking coast - actually can see the tidal pool and technically the estate - from a distance, in poor quality! Lol only exciting as most Hawaii shot shows I've watched so far seem to go out of their way NOT to show any glimpse of estate or tidal pool in any way.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MaiTaiMan »

steveadl wrote:Finally getting around to watching One West Waikiki! First scenes of the first episode are filmed opposite Rabbit Island, and on shore footage shot at the little foot jetty about 300m down the beach from the Anderson Estate :)

Next scenes establishing shot, a hand glider going over the edge of mountain range overlooking coast - actually can see the tidal pool and technically the estate - from a distance, in poor quality! Lol only exciting as most Hawaii shot shows I've watched so far seem to go out of their way NOT to show any glimpse of estate or tidal pool in any way.
Would love to see this show again...haven't in several years! I'll have to look into getting a set myself sometime. However, if I remember correctly the show kind of leaves you hanging when it's cancelled... But, with Hawaii and Cheryl Ladd--you can't go wrong!! :D

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MagnumILWU »

Watching "One West Waikiki" on Get TV right now(10:00 am PDT)! Pilot episode, part one, from 1994. Looks like it's going to be airing mon-fri!
"pickled egg please"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MaiTaiMan »

MagnumILWU wrote:Watching "One West Waikiki" on Get TV right now(10:00 am PDT)! Pilot episode, part one, from 1994. Looks like it's going to be airing mon-fri!
Awesome! I remember summer of 1994 when the show first premiered...awesome pilot! :D I really wish the show had been given more of a chance. It was only on for about a year and a half, and most episodes were aired late at night. :?

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#15 Post by Hawaii Winds »

wind4fuel wrote:One West Waikiki was it any good? :)
SAW A COUPLE OF EPISODES ON YOUTUBE....BORING.... TO SAY THE LEAST!