Get Smart

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

grundle
Admiral

Get Smart

#1 Post by grundle »

I have all five seasons on DVD. This is my favorite live action sitcom of all time. I loved it when I was a child in the 1970s, and I love it even more as an adult.

Are there any other Get Smart fans here?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, yeah! Although I havn't seen an episode for... gosh, it must be over 25 years! One of my Top 5 '60s TV Shows'. Absolutely love Don Adams and Barbara Feldon! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

Harry Hoo, The Groovy Guru, Seigfreid, Hymie the Robot, need I go on? Brilliant show!

grundle
Admiral

#4 Post by grundle »

It's nice to see others here who like it too!

jimhalinda
Lieutenant

#5 Post by jimhalinda »

Another Get Smart fan here, loved it as a kid. Now I've watched all 5 seasons with my kids, and they loved it too!
"It will only distress you to continue this conversation" - Jonathan Quayle Higgins III

Binky Farmbush
Lieutenant

#6 Post by Binky Farmbush »

"Harry Hoo, The Groovy Guru, Seigfreid, Hymie the Robot, need I go on? Brilliant show!"

Pahonu... I couldn't agree more!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Seaver41 »

watched a ton of reruns in syndication in the 70's

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Seaver41 »

to this day one of the best, if not the best, opening sequences with all the secret entrances.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

Re: Get Smart

#9 Post by MHTR »

I really liked this show as a kid. The cone of silence scenes were hilarious!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MHTR wrote:I really liked this show as a kid. The cone of silence scenes were hilarious!
MHTR,
When Get Smart was rerun on either TVLAND or NickatNite some 20 years ago, they put trivia up on the screen before the episode aired. According to that, heavily armed Feds burst in on the Get Smart producers and demanded to know how they found out about the super secret Cone of Silence that our Moscow embassy used! They were deadly serious, and scared the hell out of Buck Henry and Mel Brooks when they tried to explain they had made "their" cone up.
To promote Get Smart, Nick(or TVLAND?) also sold real life, working shoe phones! I bought one and its been in my closet ever since as I figured a odd ball tie in like that would be worth bucks one day.
I wonder what it's worth? Would you believe $500 bucks? Would you believe $300? Two bucks and a lint covered wad of Bazooka Joe gum?
"Missed it by that much" ... Maxwell Smart
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sun May 15, 2016 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by MHTR »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
According to that, heavily armed Feds went to the Get Smart producers and demanded to how they found out about the super secret Cone of Silence that our Moscow embassy used! They were deadly serious, and scared the hell out of Buck Henry and Mel Brooks when they tried to explain they had made "their" cone up.
That's a real interesting story!

Earlier this week out of the blue I remembered a certain Get Smart episode (just why, I have no idea). If memory serves me correctly it was about an old friend of Max whom he happened to bump into, and he told him he was a spy. Well his friend didn't believe him, so Max took him to Control's headquarters via the secret entrance that ends at the phone booth which dumps them into the chief's office. They played the theme song as they showed Max and his friend walking down the corridor through the steel doors that would open as they approached.

Does anyone know what the title of this episode is, or the season and episode number?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MHTR wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
According to that, heavily armed Feds went to the Get Smart producers and demanded to know how they found out about the super secret Cone of Silence that our Moscow embassy used! They were deadly serious, and scared the hell out of Buck Henry and Mel Brooks when they tried to explain they had made "their" cone up.
That's a real interesting story!

Earlier this week out of the blue I remembered a certain Get Smart episode (just why, I have no idea). If memory serves me correctly it was about an old friend of Max whom he happened to bump into, and he told him he was a spy. Well his friend didn't believe him, so Max took him to Control's headquarters via the secret entrance that ends at the phone booth which dumps them into the chief's office. They played the theme song as they showed Max and his friend walking down the corridor through the steel doors that would open as they approached.

Does anyone know what the title of this episode is, or the season and episode number?
MHTR,
I haven't seen Get Smart reruns in over 20 years but I am pretty sure I recall the episode in question, from when I was a kid in the 1960's and watched it with my family as anything Rickles appeared in was must see tv in our house. It guest starred Don Rickles as Max's army buddy Sid, and was one the funniest things I have ever seen on tv. I believe it was a 2 parter?
Rickles shined as a guest star on a lot of 1960's sitcoms because he was restrained from going whole hog as in his nightclub act, and could exhibit pathos. He also was excellent on the Dick Van Dyke Show and Andy Griffith Show.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,

Lots of GET SMART episodes and scenes on YOUTUBE. There is a 3 minute scene from the episode with Don Rickles as Sid. Have a peek and enjoy ! :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by terryfromkerry »

Me again , forgot to mention there are also GET SMART :lol: bloopers.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by MHTR »

Thanks Luther's nephew Dobie & terryfromkerry.

"The Little Black Book: Parts 1 and 2," Season 3, Episodes 16 & 17.

I'm a bit disappointed though. It has been quite a while since I've seen these episodes, and in my memory "Max" & "Sid" walked the full length of the corridor to the phone booth. I was disappointed to see that I remembered it wrong; the scene only included the phone booth, none of the opening doors. I guess I have to chalk it up to old age. :(