Moonlighting

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Re: Moonlighting

#16 Post by MagnumILWU »

MagnumILWU wrote:
Dave Anderson wrote:Looks possible, but I'm not sure that's it. All those streets look similar in the area, and after 30 years its hard to tell.

Thanks for the quick reply.
All it takes is a little detective work! If you Google Rite Way Truck Brokers Los Angeles, you find they are now Wolfe Trucking. In their history, they started out on 7th street, across from the old Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market, which started out at Central, and 7th. If you Google Rite Way Truck Brokers 7th street Los Angeles, you get that address, 802 E 7th Street! So that is the spot!
You can also see the old large rooftop sign in the upper left corner of the video: Wholesale Terminal(Wholesale Terminal Produce Market)!
"pickled egg please"

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#17 Post by Dave Anderson »

MagnumILWU wrote: you Google Rite Way Truck Brokers Los Angeles, you find they are now Wolfe Trucking. In their history, they started out on 7th street, across from the old Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market, which started out at Central, and 7th. If you Google Rite Way Truck Brokers 7th street Los Angeles, you get that address, 802 E 7th Street! So that is the spot!
You're a better detective than me. I tried various ways to find the spot and came up empty. The big problem is that I couldn't read the little print on the Rite Way building.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#18 Post by Dave Anderson »

MagnumILWU wrote:
MagnumILWU wrote: You can also see the old large rooftop sign in the upper left corner of the video: Wholesale Terminal(Wholesale Terminal Produce Market)!
Yes, I saw the partial sign but couldn't find anything, or in fact, I found too much and no images with that sign. I saw the same "clues" as you but I guess I didn't have your detective skills!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MagnumILWU »

Thanks! It was the, Rite Way Truck Brokers, at about 17:32 that got me started!
"pickled egg please"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by MagnumILWU »

Also in the Moonlighting video, you can see the Hotel sign, behind the fire escape. In Google maps, you see a newer Hotel sign, and the windows where the fire escape used to be!
"pickled egg please"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#21 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Dave Anderson wrote:Its interesting, Magnum by comparison seems far less "dated" than Moonlighting. I'm not quite sure why that is.
I'm pretty sure it's because of the setting. Hawaiian beach attire hasn't changed much in 30 years. Bur urban fashion, as we all know, is quite different. They also worked hard to ensure Maddie was dressed in the latest fashions, which can date you pretty quickly.

I really liked the show up until the point when Cybill Shepherd got pregnant and they had all those weird depressing slow plot lines to cover for it. I think this was the beginning of season 4. The show is very different starting then from the fun vibe where they actually go out on cases. Not surprisingly, the ratings dropped sharply.

I really like those first three seasons though.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eltonsean
Captain

#22 Post by eltonsean »

Styles Bitchley wrote: I really liked the show up until the point when Cybill Shepherd got pregnant and they had all those weird depressing slow plot lines to cover for it. I think this was the beginning of season 4.
I really like those first three seasons though.
I'm with you, Styles Bitchley on this. The show was never the same after Cybill became pregnant. Plus I think the writer's strike caused the show to temporarily lose momentum. I remember being really saddened when the show was canceled.
Magnum :magnum: and Moonlighting 8) were my favorites along with Star Trek: TNG, Three's Company, and The A-Team :lol:
"Living well is the best revenge".

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by Dave Anderson »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Dave Anderson wrote:Its interesting, Magnum by comparison seems far less "dated" than Moonlighting. I'm not quite sure why that is.
I'm pretty sure it's because of the setting. Hawaiian beach attire hasn't changed much in 30 years. Bur urban fashion, as we all know, is quite different. They also worked hard to ensure Maddie was dressed in the latest fashions, which can date you pretty quickly...
That's probably part of it, but I think there's more to it than that. I think workplaces, offices at least, have changed significantly since the 80s. Men and women don't flirt at work and rarely date co-workers anymore due to sexual harassment laws. At least its the exception rather than a norm like it was back in the day. So, it seems very "80s" in the way the character's relate, perhaps more so than a show set mostly on the beach.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#24 Post by Dave Anderson »

In honor of St. Patty's Day this week, I suggest watching Moonlighting episode "Somewhere Under the Rainbow." I know it wasn't originally broadcast for St. Patrick's Day, but it easily could have been a special holiday episode.

Very surprising ending when they actually do find the "rainbow." So many good and funny scenes from this ep.

eltonsean
Captain

#25 Post by eltonsean »

Dave Anderson wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's because of the setting. Hawaiian beach attire hasn't changed much in 30 years. Bur urban fashion, as we all know, is quite different. They also worked hard to ensure Maddie was dressed in the latest fashions, which can date you pretty quickly...
That's probably part of it, but I think there's more to it than that. I think workplaces, offices at least, have changed significantly since the 80s. Men and women don't flirt at work and rarely date co-workers anymore due to sexual harassment laws. At least its the exception rather than a norm like it was back in the day. So, it seems very "80s" in the way the character's relate, perhaps more so than a show set mostly on the beach.
As far as feeling dated, this very first thing i noticed with "Moonlighting" is the 80's wardrobe and MUSIC. The synthesizer music was SO 80's. and cybil shepard's shoulder pads and big 80's hair really make it look dated! In "Magnum", they mostly used Mike Post's scores which are thankfully more orchestrated and less 80's synth. and ya, Magnum is mostly wearing beachwear and aloha shirts, which are timeless, especially in Hawaii. I actually feel that in the later seasons on "Magnum" it started to look more 80's because Magnum would wear less aloha shirts and beach shorts. Stick with the aloha shirts and you'll always look MAG-nificent ! That's my philosophy :)

Man, i miss the days when Bruce Willis was goofy, like in Moonlighting. I loved his amazing sense of comical timing! The past 20 years, his movies mostly show him fighting and being pissed off. I want the funny, goofy Bruce back that's not afraid to look silly for a laugh!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#26 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eltonsean wrote:Man, i miss the days when Bruce Willis was goofy, like in Moonlighting. I loved his amazing sense of comical timing! The past 20 years, his movies mostly show him fighting and being pissed off. I want the funny, goofy Bruce back that's not afraid to look silly for a laugh!
I totally hear that. It's also what makes the first Die Hard so good.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
eltonsean wrote:Man, i miss the days when Bruce Willis was goofy, like in Moonlighting. I loved his amazing sense of comical timing! The past 20 years, his movies mostly show him fighting and being pissed off. I want the funny, goofy Bruce back that's not afraid to look silly for a laugh!
I've never seen an episode of Moonlighting.

As for Bruce Willis, he's slated to appear in Woody Allen's 2016 film, so perhaps it will mark a return to comedy for him (and Woody!).
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

eltonsean
Captain

#28 Post by eltonsean »

Little Garwood wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:
I've never seen an episode of Moonlighting.

As for Bruce Willis, he's slated to appear in Woody Allen's 2016 film, so perhaps it will mark a return to comedy for him (and Woody!).
Wow, that's awesome news, thanks L.G.!!!! I love Woody's films, so that makes me super excited! I never even considered a day when those two would collaborate! awesome!!

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#29 Post by Italian Ice »

If only Magnum broke the wall like Moonlighting did

This scene kills me every single time. David Addison is missing, so the producers can't find him and try to recast him. You see impersonators acting out lines from previous episodes and then you see a variety of others in a lineup wearing the goofy outfits he wore in previous episodes as well. You'd have to have seen everything up this point and recall the parts, but I've never seen a show to this.

Not only did they break the 4th wall here, but they blew it up into a million pieces, only to rebuild it and then do it over and over again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMFazyw7SHc
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

TSM308
Captain

#30 Post by TSM308 »

Moonlighting... now there's a show I had forgotten all about. Time to dust that one off I guess!
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."