Moonlighting

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

Moonlighting

#1 Post by Italian Ice »

I just picked up this entire series and watch Season 1. It's actually pretty good! I did a sneak of some episodes ahead, they break the 4th wall a lot, including having "behind the scenes" type episodes. This show is a lot like Remington Steele in more ways that one and had good ratings. It could have gone on longer, but of course we all know what Bruce Willis wanted to do after.....

Surprised nobody mentioned this one, but it may have been hit or miss for most of you. Me? I'm just trying to download and collect all of these shows you all talk about on this thread.....
Last edited by Italian Ice on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I know it's been mentioned somewhere, but I don't know where in the forum.

I probably used the same torrent as you when I downloaded this show last year. Back in the day, it seemed too much like an "adult" show to me so I never watched it.

Still, I started thinking that I wanted to see why this show was so popular and how Bruce Willis made his grand entrance into the entertainment world. I've watched most of the first and second season and really like what I've seen. Very good dialogue and chemistry between Bruce and Cybill. Although, I've read that the two of them didn't get along well off the set. Who knows if it's true or not, but apparently Cybill Shepherd was pissed that newcomer Willis was getting so much attention, when she was the veteran on the show. Maybe something like George Peppard's outrage that Mr. T was the real star of the A Team?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by AmandaByNight »

I have a real love/hate relationship with Bruce. When Moonlighting first aired, I thought he was the cutest thing ever. But I got tired of his constant mugging. He must have felt my dislike because than he became the super serious guy like in the Sixth Sense and I just wanted the silly, mugging Bruce back.

I thought Moonlighting was so good when it aired, and now I feel it's a bit dated, although I only watched two or three episodes as an adult. I wouldn't mind giving it another go.

I actually really like Bruce as a person. He seems pretty interesting, but I feel like he lacks a bit as an actor. Even now.

Blind Date though is the best movie ever!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

AmandaByNight wrote:Blind Date though is the best movie ever!
Never seen it. But mentioning it ahead of Die Hard (the first one) is madness!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by AmandaByNight »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:Blind Date though is the best movie ever!
Never seen it. But mentioning it ahead of Die Hard (the first one) is madness!
Madness I tells ya! :)

I love Die Hard too. I only saw it once when it came out and really liked it, but then didn't see it again until last year. It was so totally amazing. I haven't seen the sequels, which is funny cuz I love 80s action movies. I heard Live Free Die Hard was great too.

But Blind Date is just hilarious. I've seen the movie a few times and it always makes me smile.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Moonlighting is one of my favorite 80s shows. The scripts were way ahead of its time. Willis and Shepherd really shined together. I remember watching it at the time and thinking, "that guy is gonna be a star." 20+ years later and he's still going strong.

I used to have the biggest crush on Cybill Shepherd!

Curtis Armstrong is great in this show, too. Booger! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#7 Post by Italian Ice »

Just saw that dream sequence episode which was dedicated to Orson Wells who died shortly after this one, but not before making an appearance at the beginning to promote the episode. His voice is more booming in person.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

JT
Captain

#8 Post by JT »

The first 3 seasons were really good, season 4 and 5 are not very good.
Bruce Willis played the role of David very well, and cybill is always nice to watch!!

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

Re: Moonlighting

#9 Post by Dave Anderson »

This was probably my favorite show in the mid-80s. Re-watching it on dvd a few years ago, and its still very entertaining stuff but many times come across as rather dated.

Its interesting, Magnum by comparison seems far less "dated" than Moonlighting. I'm not quite sure why that is. I love the old Moonlighting episodes, particularly from seasons 1 and 2 when they actually worked on detective cases, but while watching I'm always cognizant I'm watching something from the 80s. When I watch Magnum, oftentimes I'm not even consciously thinking about that.

My favorite thing about Moonlighting was the way they made Los Angeles, especially downtown LA, seem so romantic. With all the TV shows and movies that have been set in LA, there was somthing about this show that just romanticized the place more than any other program has IMO.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MagnumILWU »

Just a great show! I have seasons one and two(combined), I got at Target. Who always seem to have good DVD packages, on old TV shows! Imogene Coca, as Ms DiPesto's mother, was perfect casting!
"pickled egg please"

MikeS
Admiral

#11 Post by MikeS »

Moonlighting was a lot of fun for the time. The chemistry between Madddie and David was superb, love/hate at its best. You can't go wrong with Al Jarreau either - loved the theme. Agnes and Herbert were as essential as TC, Rick, and Higgins (IMO) - loved em. The use of fantasy was very enjoyable, camera and lense work, excellent - watch the show.

What ruined Moonlighting for me, for some reason I hate when the mains couple-up! Psych and Castle went this route too and I enjoyed the shows less and less. I don't know why this bugs me so much but it does, it takes something away, waters down the chemistry.

I haven't seen Moonlighting in years, my hope if I see it again is that it lives up to my favorable memories, as for 80s tv (in the 80s), very fun :D in our cynical 21st century - who knows :?
MikeS

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by Dave Anderson »

I know its a bit of a longshot, but I'm wondering if anyone can identify the address of the dumpy residency apartment ("hovel" as David puts it) the deaf guy was living at in the episode Yours Very Deadly (season 3, episode 4). Its at 17:30 or so, in the episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I64O4UDoQME

I haven't been able to identify where this location was or whether it still exists. Obviously its in skid row area of downtown LA, but I haven't been able to narrow it down or whether its still there.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MagnumILWU »

Dave Anderson wrote:I know its a bit of a longshot, but I'm wondering if anyone can identify the address of the dumpy residency apartment ("hovel" as David puts it) the deaf guy was living at in the episode Yours Very Deadly (season 3, episode 4). Its at 17:30 or so, in the episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I64O4UDoQME

I haven't been able to identify where this location was or whether it still exists. Obviously its in skid row area of downtown LA, but I haven't been able to narrow it down or whether its still there.
Try, 802 E 7th Street Los Angelas on Google maps!
"pickled egg please"

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#14 Post by Dave Anderson »

Looks possible, but I'm not sure that's it. All those streets look similar in the area, and after 30 years its hard to tell.

Thanks for the quick reply.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MagnumILWU »

Dave Anderson wrote:Looks possible, but I'm not sure that's it. All those streets look similar in the area, and after 30 years its hard to tell.

Thanks for the quick reply.
All it takes is a little detective work! If you Google Rite Way Truck Brokers Los Angeles, you find they are now Wolfe Trucking. In their history, they started out on 7th street, across from the old Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market, which started out at Central, and 7th. If you Google Rite Way Truck Brokers 7th street Los Angeles, you get that address, 802 E 7th Street! So that is the spot!
"pickled egg please"