Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Cutter
Lieutenant

#16 Post by Cutter »

Not good at all.

Jake
Rear Admiral

#17 Post by Jake »

I just got around to watching the first two episodes. It wasnt great, but I have definately seen worse. I am not sure how much more of my time I will give to checking it out. I am not sure it is worthy of the limited storage space in my DVR. The storyline about the secret society of cops seems stupid and the acting seems pretty weak (especially the secondary cops). I had hopes that TS could pull off another one........but I think maybe not. The best part of the show is the beautiful Bridget Moynahan.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by zebra3 »

Jake wrote:I just got around to watching the first two episodes. It wasnt great, but I have definately seen worse. I am not sure how much more of my time I will give to checking it out. I am not sure it is worthy of the limited storage space in my DVR. The storyline about the secret society of cops seems stupid and the acting seems pretty weak (especially the secondary cops). I had hopes that TS could pull off another one........but I think maybe not. The best part of the show is the beautiful Bridget Moynahan.
They had an episode about renegade cop force in Starsky and hutch and it was a very strong episode, so don't count it out yet. I thought it was a very dark show, in theme and mostly feel.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#19 Post by Shermy »

I had a feeling TS wouldn't have much to do, despite being the main draw for most viewers. His performance isn't as gloomy as Jesse Stone, but I wish he could find some way to inject a tiny bit of the playfulness that made Magnum so much fun to watch. It's slightly ironic that his recent career has largely consisted of very serious roles, considering how much success he's had with lightening up (Magnum; Three Men and A Baby; Friends; etc.) However, it looks like TS might last longer in NYC than he did in Vegas, as the first two episodes of Blue Bloods easily won in the ratings.

Yet it does essentially feel more like Donnie Wahlberg's series, since he gets to do all the traditional cop show stuff like- as Jesse Stone might say- catching bad guys. Fortunately, Wahlberg is up to the task and is arguably the most interesting character at this point. I honestly can't say I'm that interested in watching a show about the entire Reagan family. Bridget Moynahan feels like she's only present to argue ethics with Wahlberg, while I fear the kid brother's "Templar" subplot will be drawn out for entirely too long.

Am I wrong for wanting to see them kill off the kid brother ASAP, so that Magnum and Mark Wahlberg's brother can team up and go kill a secret order of templars hiding beneath the streets of New York City? Blue blood will flow!!! :lol:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm reposting my previous thoughts from the TS thread, for posterity's sake:

Can't say I was awestruck by the Blue Bloods pilot episode. It held my interest and Donny Wahlberg was good, but Selleck is one-note in this, phoning in a Jesse Stone-like characterization--when he's even on screen--that's fine for Stone but I was hoping for something different with this show.

The case of the kidnapped girl was nothing exciting. It's more like something Law & Order and its multitude of clones would feature. I'm hoping that the policework would come second to the characters' interactions, because there is potential. The dinner table scene was good, despite the already-dated "shaky cam" technique that has me reaching for an imaginary railing. Why can't these film school grads keep the camera still and let the actors sell the story? It's hard to read the emotions on a performer's face with all that useless motion.
-------------

I purposely skipped watching the second episode as I feel that Tom is being used as an audience draw and I ain't fallin' for that!

I'd also add from the pilot episode that Selelck's scene with the pushy mayor showed promise and I hope they allow Tom for some decent screentime to show him locking horns with the political angle that looked to have some hones-to-goodness drama in it.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by No need to know! »

After watching the first episode i slipped in MPI season one in my DVD player. And all i can say, i love yesterday. I am not a fan of any NY crime series anymore either. The true masterpiece was the Equalizer, yes yesterday aswell. :D
Onion´s extra?

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Seaver41 »

well, I've seen all episodes so far. It's Selleck in name only. His role is so dry and non-functional.............I really have doubts that this will last. It has a good start so far, but will get stale real fast. Donnie Wahlberg is very good, but he can only carry scenes he is in. The whole family meal deal is terrible. I'm sure this show is not cheap to produce, so even a modest dip in ratings could spell doom.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Steve »

I just caught the last episode and thought it was pretty good. Well written, but it is still Wahlberg's show, with Bridget Moynahan and Nicholas Tuturro also showing promise, but underutilized. Please, please give Selleck's character a personallity, he almost cracked a smile at the end of the latest episode. At least his character is being written better than the first episode wherein at the end, on the fisihing pier he tells his son he wasn't "completely forthcoming".Who talks like that in real life!!!!!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#24 Post by Shermy »

Seaver41 wrote:I'm sure this show is not cheap to produce, so even a modest dip in ratings could spell doom.
The bar is very low on Friday nights, so I think Blue Bloods could be around for a while. NBC has already had to cancel Jimmy Smits' Outlaw, since it was getting killed at 10pm by CBS.

I agree about "the whole family meal deal", though. The best thing about it is that it appears to be getting shorter. :lol:

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#25 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Will Estes did an interview about the show in today's Boston Herald. One of the questions he was asked was, "How does it feel to be the son of "Magnum, P.I."?

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainme ... ition=also

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

I never thought I'd be writing this . . . but I liked him better in "Las Vegas." At least he got to have a sense of humor there, and in the dream-scene birth scenario, he actually got to do a Magnum-esque delight expression.

I hope he HAS gotten rid of that girlfriend -- PUHLEEEEEEASE! Tommy Gavin's wife from "Rescue Me"????? Isn't she younger than his daughter? And how hard is it for cops to learn that if your girlfriend's a reporter, work always trumps romance. DUH!!!

I'll keep watching it in hopes that it gets better, but it seems pretty standard fare right now. Personally, I'm not that impressed with the new Hawaii Five-O either. Will it take 12 years of this show to get another MPI? Maybe too late for TS by then . . . . But I don't see Blue Bloods or the new H5-0 going 12 months (that would be two seasons the way they count now, wouldn't it?), much less 12 years.

How can anyone, male or female, watch "The Real Housewives of " . . . anywhere?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

wdm
Vice Admiral

#27 Post by wdm »

I guess I maybe one of the few, but I really like the show and TS's role.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Seaver41 »

Selleck just seems lobotomiozed in this show. His role is quickly becoming cliche'..........crime.......press conference........tells his #1 guy to beef up patrols.........and then the two-step with reporter/girlfriend. Getting old quickly.

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#29 Post by DarCA »

I thought the show television October 8 was pretty good - at least it was better written and the crime wasn't solved in 5 minutes. And Selleck's character dumped the reporter - none too soon.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#30 Post by SelleckLover »

Well, I guess I'll put in my 2 cents. I agree with the majority of you that this show is just so-so for me. I think Selleck and Wahlberg are the most talented actors they have, and I think even THEY are having a hard time holding this show up. I hate to say it but I agree with golfmobile when she says she liked TS better in Las Vegas. This show is just a big snooze for me but I will in most likelihood watch it to the end because TS is in it. Zzzzzzzzz