Tales of the Gold Monkey

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tales of the Gold Monkey

#21 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Dragging up an ancient thread, but I've been watching Gold Monkey over the last couple of weeks. It is a great concept for a TV show, but the stories drag a little. Aside from Collins and MacKay the acting is not great and it has a cheap look. The dog is the best thing about it; he's hilarious! Anyway, this is a show that ought to get a re-make instead of MacGyver. It would really benefit from modern production methods, but I'm sure it would cost a fortune. Was Gold Monkey filmed in Hawaii?

BWheelz54
Admiral

#22 Post by BWheelz54 »

The first couple posts on this strand have really covered my sense after watching the complete episodes of TOTGM. I loved the premise - the late 1930's just before the outbreak of WWII, a time that Indiana Jones so well visited for its adventure. I love the idea of the characters, and the sea plane and the bar with the carved, wooden monkeys hinting at lost treasure. There was so much the show might've mined - Nazis, aviation, treasure hunting, ruins, pretty ladies and such, that TOTGM should've been a great one.

TOTGM seemed written by junior high students. I was really disappointed by how shallow the characters seemed. I thought the treatment of the Asian characters was especially bad, if not down-right prejudiced. It so often seemed thrown together at the last minute. No doubt the studio execs just wanted something quick to cash in on the Indiana Jones success. And there seemed something about so many of the action shows of that time that seemed childish, from the A-Team to Knight Rider. Maybe television producers back then had to try to come up with shows that would catch the entire family's interest back when there were not yet so many channels and outlets for them?

But I would love to see TOTGM get remade and earn just a better effort. I think the time and location of the setting might really work, if it was done well, if it was taken seriously. That era seems filled with possible stories. I would love to see that seaplane flying again, maybe filled with new characters and a new dog, but I would love to see it rebooted. Great idea MagnumsLeftShoulder!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

TOTGM seemed written by junior high students.
That's a good description. It's like the show couldn't decide if it wanted to be full on campy or take a more serious approach to the events in the South Pacific before Pearl Harbor. The jokes aren't funny enough and the drama isn't dramatic enough, but I still think it's a great idea for a show.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#24 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
SelleckLover wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the title was: Tales of the Gold Monkey!
When I was a kid we used to refer to it as Brass Monkey Balls. This sort of joke NEVER gets tired for an eight year old kid!

I haven't seen a episode since its first run, but I remember it being cool. I seem to remember it reminding me of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Anybody remember if there's a similar feel? Maybe I'm just mis-remembering.
Hi Styles !

I got an amercian DVD copy oth that serie. After Magnum PI and Mc Gyver, it was my favorite show when i was 14 ou 15 years old. It was a very subtile balance between exotism, adventure, 1930's atmosphere, bright and colorful characters (while childish and somewhat 'burlesque'), humour and a strand of action... The historical background was far lossy and sketchy, however i guess it was never aimed towards historical recreation. Historical events was only a rear scenery for the whole picture. The Bora gora set and the Hotel were a pure sucess from my point of view.

Very good start for youngsters ! I will think about it for my son...

As an aviation spotter i loved the old (and allegedy worn up...)Grumman goose used in that serie (if you except the anachronism of such a plane in 1938 (at that time it was a military prototype !) - it was only introduced in the civil market in the late 1940's !!

You're right: The show was a pure 'B serie' replica of the pulp novels from 1930-1940 era. The legacy of "Raiders of Lost ark" is quite obvious too. It reminds me the french 'Bob Morane' serie from the 1960's.

Well, a very good 'souvenir' ...
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#25 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
SelleckLover wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the title was: Tales of the Gold Monkey!
When I was a kid we used to refer to it as Brass Monkey Balls. This sort of joke NEVER gets tired for an eight year old kid!

I haven't seen a episode since its first run, but I remember it being cool. I seem to remember it reminding me of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Anybody remember if there's a similar feel? Maybe I'm just mis-remembering.
Hi Styles !

I got an amercian DVD copy oth that serie. After Magnum PI and Mc Gyver, it was my favorite show when i was 14 ou 15 years old. In French version it was titled as "Jack's Cutter". The original title would have been not a seller in French :D. It was a very subtile balance between exotism, adventure, 1930's atmosphere, bright and colorful characters (while childish and somewhat 'burlesque'), humour and a strand of action... The historical background was far lossy and sketchy, however i guess it was never aimed towards historical recreation. Historical events was only a rear scenery for the whole picture. The Bora gora set and the Hotel were a pure sucess from my point of view.

Very good start for youngsters ! I will think about it for my son...

As an aviation spotter i loved the old (and allegedy worn up...)Grumman goose used in that serie (if you except the anachronism of such a plane in 1938 (at that time it was a military prototype !) - it was only introduced in the civil market in the late 1940's !!

You're right: The show was a pure 'B serie' replica of the pulp novels from 1930-1940 era. The legacy of "Raiders of Lost ark" is quite obvious too. It reminds me the french 'Bob Morane' serie from the 1960's.

Well, a very good 'souvenir' ...

edit: in the same influence you've got, in 1983 "Bring'em Back Alive !" starring Bruce Boxleiner. I will tak about it in another post another time. :D
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Reef monkey »

Discovered that Tales Of The Gold Monkey full episodes are free to watch on YouTube. Watching it again for the first time in 40+ years. Loved it as a 6 year old when it came out but the monkey suits, synthesizer soundtrack, pacing and dialog are a little hard to take now. And as a WWII history buff, the idea that Cutter was a Flying Tigers veteran four years before the AVG group fought its first sortie is too much to swallow.

I’m enjoying revisiting the origins of much of the inspiration behind TaleSpin, which I watched as an early teen, recognizing even then the connections between the shows.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850