Tales of the Gold Monkey

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Frodoleader »

Thorfinn is correct about the pyramid. Naval vessels of the age carried their cannon balls in troughs, so that they would not roll away due to the pitching and rolling of the ship at sea. On land however, artillery crews did stack their cannon balls in pyramids.

FWIW, I never saw a single episode of Tales of the Gold Monkey back in the day. Considering the wife & I were such big MPI fans, I really cannot recall why we did not watch the show?
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thorfinn wrote:By the way, they also talk about the dog as well. Evidently the original dog was killed just before shooting and they found this mutt (Jack) at a kennel just prior to the shoot. Most of the cast didn't think "Jack" would work, but the trainer got him up to snuff in short order.
Are you sure? The DVD (and TVAcres, IMDb, etc.) credits "Leo the Dog" as the dog who played "Jack" in Tales of the Gold Monkey. "Leo" appeared in a bunch of other TV shows/movies prior, including MASH, King Fu, Shampoo, and, what appears, MPI.

And this site adds this:
Another fondly remembered ally on the series was its canine co-star. Leo the terrier played Jack, the cranky old dog with an eyepatch. "That dog had more brains than any of us," Jeff MacKay reports of his scene-stealing comrade. "He was brought out of retirement to do the show when the dog who originally got the part died on the trip to L.A. Leo was very old when we did the series and there was no back-up for him. The fact of the matter is he was a house dog who would have preferred to sleep on his owner's bed all day, and he was brought out of retirement at a very old age to sit on this show. You hear about actors getting jealous of scene-stealing critters like children and animals, but this dog was a consummate professional and a total sweetheart."
So it appears that he was brought out of retirement at the last minute as a replacement. Love it! :)

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by Thorfinn »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:By the way, they also talk about the dog as well. Evidently the original dog was killed just before shooting and they found this mutt (Jack) at a kennel just prior to the shoot. Most of the cast didn't think "Jack" would work, but the trainer got him up to snuff in short order.
Are you sure? The DVD (and TVAcres, IMDb, etc.) credits "Leo the Dog" as the dog who played "Jack" in Tales of the Gold Monkey. "Leo" appeared in a bunch of other TV shows/movies prior, including MASH, King Fu, Shampoo, and, what appears, MPI.

And this site adds this:
Another fondly remembered ally on the series was its canine co-star. Leo the terrier played Jack, the cranky old dog with an eyepatch. "That dog had more brains than any of us," Jeff MacKay reports of his scene-stealing comrade. "He was brought out of retirement to do the show when the dog who originally got the part died on the trip to L.A. Leo was very old when we did the series and there was no back-up for him. The fact of the matter is he was a house dog who would have preferred to sleep on his owner's bed all day, and he was brought out of retirement at a very old age to sit on this show. You hear about actors getting jealous of scene-stealing critters like children and animals, but this dog was a consummate professional and a total sweetheart."
So it appears that he was brought out of retirement at the last minute as a replacement. Love it! :)
I was just going on what was said in the interview with Stephen Collins in the extras.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Just watched the pilot. What a great show...it's all coming back to me now.

The Raiders connection is really obvious now after watching it.

Maybe the reason it didn't continue was budget. Looks like it would have cost a fortune to produce all those explosions, flying sequences, etc.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by Thorfinn »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Just watched the pilot. What a great show...it's all coming back to me now.

Maybe the reason it didn't continue was budget. Looks like it would have cost a fortune to produce all those explosions, flying sequences, etc.
You'll be surprised when you find out "why" it wasn't renewed and it wasn't budget problems.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#16 Post by Doc Ibold »

Thorfinn wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Just watched the pilot. What a great show...it's all coming back to me now.

You'll be surprised when you find out "why" it wasn't renewed and it wasn't budget problems.
do share!

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#17 Post by Mr. Greene »

Had a discount card at Barnes and Noble and as I was looking around I saw it on the shelf and it brought back memories so I bought the complete series and watched the first disc and while some of the effects were a litlle low budget, it is such a great show. I miss the good old days with this, Magnum, Simon and Simon, they just dont make anything that is good anymore everyhting has to be a CSI clone

SouthEastAsiaTX
Lieutenant

Gold Monkey

#18 Post by SouthEastAsiaTX »

Tales of the Gold Monkey has a Magnum Mania type site too.

http://www.goldmonkey.com/index.html

It's a little dated, but it does for TOTGM what MM does for Magnum.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

Re: Gold Monkey

#19 Post by Majordomo »

SouthEastAsiaTX wrote:Tales of the Gold Monkey has a Magnum Mania type site too.

http://www.goldmonkey.com/index.html

It's a little dated, but it does for TOTGM what MM does for Magnum.
Before Tales of the Gold Monkey was released on DVD, the guy that runs that website had recorded the the series when it first aired and had ported the episodes from VHS to DVD and was selling them. I bought the series from him first before buying the "real" DVD's from Amazon.

I actually like watching this guys VHS versions better. The quality is 6/10 at best but the really neat part is that he recorded the opening and ending credits (and sometimes he would leave in the commercials).

The voice-overs of what was coming up next brought back more memories than the show actually did!!!

Still, I watch this series at least once a year. The goldmonkey.com website has tons of stuff about the show. They have a timeline of the series and character histories gleaned from each of the episodes (Jake Cutter was a Flying Tiger in China before getting injured).

At one time, they even had a Gold Monkey reunion where most (if not all) of the actors joined in! That site is really great.

wilko
Captain

#20 Post by wilko »

I vaguely remembered TOTGM from my teen years and watched some of it back then. TCM is showing it now and I've tried to watch it again but for some reason I cannot watch a single entire episode. It's like Baa Baa Black Sheep met Fantasy Island and somehow got caught up in a time warp with flashes of Magnum PI. For me it's too much of a 70's kitsch.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tales of the Gold Monkey

#21 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Dragging up an ancient thread, but I've been watching Gold Monkey over the last couple of weeks. It is a great concept for a TV show, but the stories drag a little. Aside from Collins and MacKay the acting is not great and it has a cheap look. The dog is the best thing about it; he's hilarious! Anyway, this is a show that ought to get a re-make instead of MacGyver. It would really benefit from modern production methods, but I'm sure it would cost a fortune. Was Gold Monkey filmed in Hawaii?

BWheelz54
Admiral

#22 Post by BWheelz54 »

The first couple posts on this strand have really covered my sense after watching the complete episodes of TOTGM. I loved the premise - the late 1930's just before the outbreak of WWII, a time that Indiana Jones so well visited for its adventure. I love the idea of the characters, and the sea plane and the bar with the carved, wooden monkeys hinting at lost treasure. There was so much the show might've mined - Nazis, aviation, treasure hunting, ruins, pretty ladies and such, that TOTGM should've been a great one.

TOTGM seemed written by junior high students. I was really disappointed by how shallow the characters seemed. I thought the treatment of the Asian characters was especially bad, if not down-right prejudiced. It so often seemed thrown together at the last minute. No doubt the studio execs just wanted something quick to cash in on the Indiana Jones success. And there seemed something about so many of the action shows of that time that seemed childish, from the A-Team to Knight Rider. Maybe television producers back then had to try to come up with shows that would catch the entire family's interest back when there were not yet so many channels and outlets for them?

But I would love to see TOTGM get remade and earn just a better effort. I think the time and location of the setting might really work, if it was done well, if it was taken seriously. That era seems filled with possible stories. I would love to see that seaplane flying again, maybe filled with new characters and a new dog, but I would love to see it rebooted. Great idea MagnumsLeftShoulder!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

TOTGM seemed written by junior high students.
That's a good description. It's like the show couldn't decide if it wanted to be full on campy or take a more serious approach to the events in the South Pacific before Pearl Harbor. The jokes aren't funny enough and the drama isn't dramatic enough, but I still think it's a great idea for a show.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#24 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
SelleckLover wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the title was: Tales of the Gold Monkey!
When I was a kid we used to refer to it as Brass Monkey Balls. This sort of joke NEVER gets tired for an eight year old kid!

I haven't seen a episode since its first run, but I remember it being cool. I seem to remember it reminding me of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Anybody remember if there's a similar feel? Maybe I'm just mis-remembering.
Hi Styles !

I got an amercian DVD copy oth that serie. After Magnum PI and Mc Gyver, it was my favorite show when i was 14 ou 15 years old. It was a very subtile balance between exotism, adventure, 1930's atmosphere, bright and colorful characters (while childish and somewhat 'burlesque'), humour and a strand of action... The historical background was far lossy and sketchy, however i guess it was never aimed towards historical recreation. Historical events was only a rear scenery for the whole picture. The Bora gora set and the Hotel were a pure sucess from my point of view.

Very good start for youngsters ! I will think about it for my son...

As an aviation spotter i loved the old (and allegedy worn up...)Grumman goose used in that serie (if you except the anachronism of such a plane in 1938 (at that time it was a military prototype !) - it was only introduced in the civil market in the late 1940's !!

You're right: The show was a pure 'B serie' replica of the pulp novels from 1930-1940 era. The legacy of "Raiders of Lost ark" is quite obvious too. It reminds me the french 'Bob Morane' serie from the 1960's.

Well, a very good 'souvenir' ...
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#25 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
SelleckLover wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the title was: Tales of the Gold Monkey!
When I was a kid we used to refer to it as Brass Monkey Balls. This sort of joke NEVER gets tired for an eight year old kid!

I haven't seen a episode since its first run, but I remember it being cool. I seem to remember it reminding me of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Anybody remember if there's a similar feel? Maybe I'm just mis-remembering.
Hi Styles !

I got an amercian DVD copy oth that serie. After Magnum PI and Mc Gyver, it was my favorite show when i was 14 ou 15 years old. In French version it was titled as "Jack's Cutter". The original title would have been not a seller in French :D. It was a very subtile balance between exotism, adventure, 1930's atmosphere, bright and colorful characters (while childish and somewhat 'burlesque'), humour and a strand of action... The historical background was far lossy and sketchy, however i guess it was never aimed towards historical recreation. Historical events was only a rear scenery for the whole picture. The Bora gora set and the Hotel were a pure sucess from my point of view.

Very good start for youngsters ! I will think about it for my son...

As an aviation spotter i loved the old (and allegedy worn up...)Grumman goose used in that serie (if you except the anachronism of such a plane in 1938 (at that time it was a military prototype !) - it was only introduced in the civil market in the late 1940's !!

You're right: The show was a pure 'B serie' replica of the pulp novels from 1930-1940 era. The legacy of "Raiders of Lost ark" is quite obvious too. It reminds me the french 'Bob Morane' serie from the 1960's.

Well, a very good 'souvenir' ...

edit: in the same influence you've got, in 1983 "Bring'em Back Alive !" starring Bruce Boxleiner. I will tak about it in another post another time. :D
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."