Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

#1 Post by Danno »

Hope everyone is following the news on the return of Hawaii Five-0!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1600194/news

On a MPI related note, here's an interesting article from the Honolulu Advertiser: http://showandtellhawaii.honadvblogs.co ... the-cards/

(Edited because its Five-0 not Five-O... :roll: )
Last edited by Danno on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice find. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. Tom Selleck is Magnum.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm super-excited about the Five-O remake! The cast looks solid so far.

As for the Magnum "re-boot", there is not anything of substance in that article; it's just one guy speculating about it. If the original cast is out (for whatever reason), I'd take anything with the name "Magnum P.I." on it - re-boot, re-make, whatever. It'd be fun!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:I'm super-excited about the Five-O remake! The cast looks solid so far.

As for the Magnum "re-boot", there is not anything of substance in that article; it's just one guy speculating about it. If the original cast is out (for whatever reason), I'd take anything with the name "Magnum P.I." on it - re-boot, re-make, whatever. It'd be fun!
Be careful what you wish for, James. Knight Rider was TERRIBLE! I was super disappointed in how that turned out.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

True, Doc, true. But isn't something better than nothing? ;)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:True, Doc, true. But isn't something better than nothing? ;)
Not necessarily. I'm thinking of the Star Wars prequels. Of course, I guess they don't actually "take away" from the original movies - it was Lucas' tinkering that did that.

There was also the attempted re-boot of the Mike Hammer series after a ten year hiatus. The result wasn't great.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Yep, I'm not sure Magnum without Selleck would get it for me. Selleck is too much of an icon as Magnum to replace him with anyone.

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Dervish »

Styles Bitchley wrote:There was also the attempted re-boot of the Mike Hammer series after a ten year hiatus. The result wasn't great.
I remember that. I tried to like it, but I couldn't. Nick was definitely no Mickey Kostmayer, not by a long shot.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MACattack »

I don't care about Hawai'i 5-0. All I want is to see Selleck, Mosley, and Manetti together on the BIG screen!!!!
I just don't give a damn!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:True, Doc, true. But isn't something better than nothing? ;)
It would spike the forums with something new to talk about.

I just have a feeling with so many purists on the site, it may go over like a lead balloon.

I WILL watch it though! Regardless if its bad or not.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, I'm definitely a purist. I just wouldn't automatically be against a Magnum "re-boot" if the original cast isn't in the cards. Even if it was horrible, it would be entertaining, if for no other reason than because it's in the "Magnuverse"! The first new Magnum material in 20+ years! The original series ran for so long, and has been off the air for so many years now, a horrible "re-boot" wouldn't adversely effect the original series in any way. If anything, it would make the original series that much better. ;)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

J.J. Walters wrote:Oh, I'm definitely a purist. I just wouldn't automatically be against a Magnum "re-boot" if the original cast isn't in the cards. Even if it was horrible, it would be entertaining, if for no other reason than because it's in the "Magnuverse"! The first new Magnum material in 20+ years! The original series ran for so long, and has been off the air for so many years now, a horrible "re-boot" wouldn't adversely effect the original series in any way. If anything, it would make the original series that much better. ;)
I agree James. A horrible "re-boot" wpu;d only enhance the original Magnum in people's eyes. Looking at it like that I say bring it on.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MACattack »

They might as well do a parody. I always thought an alternate universe version of the original show would be interesting. But, even then I would like to see the original cast in it. The only way for it to work without Selleck, would be for Ben Stiller to play Magnum. It would be funny because he's so short, and he acts over-the-top and cheezy!
I just don't give a damn!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

The first trailer is out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb-ejxJEgqE

Wow, not sure what to think right now. It looks soooooooo completely different from the original. But I guess that's to be expected.

McGarrett looks a little too young for my liking. Glad to see Daniel Dae Kim as Chin. And Grace Park as Kono! LOL! Hell-o! :)

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Danno »

From a different perspective- I'm slightly too young to have ever seen the original- actually, I've never even seen an episode of the original Hawaii-Five-O- but I'm seriously keen to see this reboot. The trailer and behind the scenes stuff on Youtube look good as well.

I really hope it does well and the writers keep it interesting.
Reboots are so dangerous and this one obviously has a lot of expectation over it.

Producers Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Peter Lenkov have done some very slick work- in my opinion feeling a little over produced at times- but they did bring Star Trek to a new life very successfully... although the Transformers franchise has been rubbish- so who knows how this will come out. They could pull it off.
And Grace Park as Kono! LOL! Hell-o!
Hell yeah.
Ha.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org