Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Re: Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

#561 Post by golfmobile »

My mind must be in the gutter, but Don Ho's lyrics have a very strong sexual interpretation that made me think, "OMG!!! He's really SINGING about THAT!!!" :shock:
"Portside, buddy."

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#562 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

golfmobile wrote:My mind must be in the gutter, but Don Ho's lyrics have a very strong sexual interpretation that made me think, "OMG!!! He's really SINGING about THAT!!!" :shock:
:lol: Hi Golf!

I don't know if you've read much about Don Ho (Kenji has some great articles about him) but let's just say his last name was befitting his lifestyle! :shock:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#563 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
golfmobile wrote:My mind must be in the gutter, but Don Ho's lyrics have a very strong sexual interpretation that made me think, "OMG!!! He's really SINGING about THAT!!!" :shock:
:lol: Hi Golf!

I don't know if you've read much about Don Ho (Kenji has some great articles about him) but let's just say his last name was befitting his lifestyle! :shock:
Hi Golf!

Well said RG!

Here is an interesting story on him........
http://people.com/archive/used-to-crowd ... l-12-no-1/

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#564 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Something interesting I never knew all these years...there are lyrics to the HF0 theme song? Two different versions/lyrics actually, Don Ho & Sammy Davis, Jr....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9jN20RqJ4 (hang in there until about the 30 second mark)

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61agglsF-v0

and now for the original lyrics.. :lol: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7NBtyJg5SY

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#565 Post by Sam »

HFO theme song...Selleck connection.

The Ventures were credited with the HFO theme song but in fact it was done by LA studio session players,later known as "The Wrecking Crew". They were responsible for a lot of the music in the 50's-70's....Byrds..Monkees..also backing acts like Sonny and Cher.Nancy Sinatra and Sam Cooke..

The WC also did quite a few of the Beach Boys albums...One of the Beach Boys album covers was shot at Dean Martins ranch,you know the rest.Here's a short article about the ranch,scroll up to the beginning.

https://books.google.com/books?id=dS-ux ... ch&f=false

album cover
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280& ... KJxjNw9NdM:

Short clip of the Wrecking Crew story...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh9zoO4 ... ujYsznb1CT

The 2008 movie is available on Netflix streaming..I think anyone over the age of 50 will enjoy it..
http://images4.static-bluray.com/movies ... _front.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecking_Crew_(music)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#566 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
the current lead is more a MTV cop with his 3 day beard, the producers hiring a Ken Doll instead of an actor.
I beg to differ. People said the same thing about Don Johnson in the 80s and he was the only regular on Miami Vice with a shred of talent.
There are things to complain about the reboot, but the acting is not one of them. Alex O'Loughlin's acting is the best thing about the show. The acting on the original was atrocious. Frankly, today's TV actors just blow actors from the 60s/70s TV era away and I say that as someone who likes a lot of shows from that time and disagrees with tons of PC crap currently coming out of Hollywood. Lack of acting talent is not what's wrong with modern TV. To me, the new Five-0 is the closest thing to 1980s style TV that's currently running.
Hi MagnumsLeftShoulder,
Don Johnson portrayed a street level detective who spent a lot of time undercover, hence he had to wear the silly clothing that was in style with people in the Miami of that time. Since you are lumping him in with O'Loughlin's head of 5-0, both of their clothing styles would be inappropriate for the head of Hawaii's premiere police unit. A man like that would be meeting with civic groups on the rubber chicken circuit, counterparts from the mainland and the world, movers and shakers.
You don't dress like a teenager in that role, no one would take you seriously and many, not just foreigners, would find it insulting you received them in that way.
A grown man studiously maintaining a 3 day beard, dressing like one of Taylor Swift's backup dancers, constantly projecting a pseudo tough guy act that might impress 12 year old girls but would cause laughter among real life hard cases, is a ridiculous take on Steve McGarrett.
The part called for a dignified underplaying and gravitas and Jack Lord nailed it.
As for "today's actors" blowing away actors from the past, I could say that's subjective but I have to be honest and say it's nuts, with all due respect.
But maybe your right, how could Carroll O'Connor, George Maharis, Stacy Keach, Royal Dano, Richard Basehart, Bruce Dern, Sally Fields, Robert Loggia, Henry Darrow and Dianne Carroll compare with the towering acting talent on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D?
Mary Tyler Moore, Andy Griffith, Don Knotts and Dick Van Dyke comedic acting giants? I don't think so, not while the cast of Two Broke Girls strides the earth.

New neighbor to the recently retired Harry Truman:"Nice garden Mr. President. It only goes to
show you what God can do"
Harry Truman: "You should have seen it when God had it on his own"

Steve-O
Commander

#567 Post by Steve-O »

Hmm.
Did anyone see last night's S8 premiere of H-5-Zero? The episode was not too bad until the cabin-extraction scene.
Although, Duclair's escape sequence was also too incredible. Randy Couture will pop up again somewhere for sure.
Looks like they might have a replacement for Kono already. Wish Chin hadn't left, but that's business I guess.
I wonder if future scripts will reflect desperation in an attempt to keep the series alive beyond S8, or if ridiculous
scenarios will be minimized and the series will successfully come to grips with the loss of Kono and Chin. Hmm.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#568 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I watched it and it was pretty ridiculous , but it's not the first time they've done that kind of crazy thing. Remember the helicopter claw in the season 3 opener? I chalk it up to silly season premiere stuff and the real episodes start next week. Chris Vance is guest starring and I thought the episode he was in last year was the best of season 7.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#569 Post by Steve »

I kept thinking the helicopter dropped four massive straps, just wrap them around each person and lift, that nonsense the straps would tangle is BS....I rank it right up there with the " 80 million dollar, indestructible, IronMan suit that was taken out by a car running into it.....LOL..

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#570 Post by 308GUY »

Steve wrote:I kept thinking the helicopter dropped four massive straps, just wrap them around each person and lift, that nonsense the straps would tangle is BS....I rank it right up there with the " 80 million dollar, indestructible, IronMan suit that was taken out by a car running into it.....LOL..

'I kept thinking the helicopter dropped four massive straps, just wrap them around each person and lift"

I said that exact thing to my wife! LOL! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#571 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I rank it right up there with the " 80 million dollar, indestructible, IronMan suit that was taken out by a car running into it.....LOL.
Thankfully, I'd forgotten about that episode. I've seen it once and that was enough. I don't think this one was quite that stupid, but pretty close!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#572 Post by KENJI »

Steve-O wrote:Hmm.
Did anyone see last night's S8 premiere of H-5-Zero? The episode was not too bad until the cabin-extraction scene.
Although, Duclair's escape sequence was also too incredible. Randy Couture will pop up again somewhere for sure.
Looks like they might have a replacement for Kono already. Wish Chin hadn't left, but that's business I guess.
I wonder if future scripts will reflect desperation in an attempt to keep the series alive beyond S8, or if ridiculous
scenarios will be minimized and the series will successfully come to grips with the loss of Kono and Chin. Hmm.
I agree about the ridiculous scenarios Steve-O!
In that scene they could've toned it WAY down and made it semi believable if SUPER Steve was hovering over top of them with the helicopter we saw earlier in the show that was dropping water on the fire.....have the same dialogue, but Steve dumps a load of water on them instead....keep it simple and some what believable and we'll keep tuning in......that helicopter would've more than likely crashed on top of them with a structure that size anchored to the ground......if they had to play out that scenario again with a structure, then make it a fraction of the size.....even make it a solid shed, an old broken down car would've worked or a even an outhouse, now that would be funny....the show is going into the toilet anyway so why not!

I was wondering how they would wrap up the Chin and Kono stories.....there is some wiggle room for....either one of them to come back (Kono's for sure).....assuming they figure out the financial end of it. There might not be a show to go back to anyway at the rate they are going.

Daniel Dae Kim appears to have landed on his feet with this new role.........

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/s ... itewashing

Also, he is the producer of a new TV series, The Good Doctor, which is an adaptation of a South Korean series about a talented surgeon with Savant syndrome, played by Freddie Highmore (Bates Motel).

No idea what Grace is doing.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#573 Post by Steve »

How does everyone feel about the new member Tani Rey played by Meaghan Rath? I like her one episode in and hope they keep the awful Michelle Borth far, far away from the show....

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#574 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I thought she had too much attitude for her first episode and I wish they hadn't of made her an expert MMA style fighter, but I didn't hate her. Hopefully, they'll give her a little more of a personality than they gave Kono. I don't like Catherine either, and I wish they would give Steve a more likeable girlfriend.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#575 Post by Lily »

Really think this show is on its way out and actually I hope so! Scripts have become extremely poor, and thought the end of the season opener, was an insult to a persons intelligence. Have always looked at the show to see the scenery I love and know so well, however will be giving 5-0 a miss from now on.