Matt Houston on DVD

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Matt Houston on DVD

#1 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Any fans of this show? I remember liking it when I was a kid, but I don't really remember much about it...

There's a youtube clip somewhere in the forum of Roger Mosley on a red carpet trying to remember the name of some show that stole a lot of ideas from MPI - this is it.

Apparently season one is coming out on DVD soon and this website http://www.dvdtown.com/news/tv-pi-matt- ... o-dvd/7390 says guest appearances include Heather Locklear, Martin Landau, Tori Spelling, David Cassidy, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Janet Leigh, Jill St. John, George Takei, Sonny Bono, Dick Butkus, and Robert Goulet.

I'd love to catch a few episodes. Not sure about buying the whole season though.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

A poor man's Magnum P.I., but probably worth a revisit. Can't say that I've seen that many episodes of the show.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Frodoleader »

I recall liking Matt Houston when it was on. And true, it was an MPI rip-off. What was the name of the beautiful woman that was Houston's assistant? I recall she was gorgeous!!
It also seems to me that this show only ran a year or two.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Carmen
MPI

#4 Post by Carmen »

Wasn`t this the show with the most ridiculous theme music??
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Styles Bitchley

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Carmen wrote:Wasn`t this the show with the most ridiculous theme music??
Actually, I think it's kinda cool. Very dramatic and reminiscent of the late 70s early 80s. Judge for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oWjWSHIw_g
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Robert
Lieutenant

Re: Matt Houston on DVD

#6 Post by Robert »

Three seasons, I liked it when I was a kid so I snatched up Season 1 when it came out.

Imagine Magnum being an oil rich Texan who decides to solve crimes on a whim.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

Lee Horsley was in Django Unchained.........I dare you all to tell me what scene he was in.............

Styles Bitchley

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:Lee Horsley was in Django Unchained.........I dare you all to tell me what scene he was in.............
Had to check Wikipedia for that one!

- J.Q.H.

jno
Captain

#9 Post by jno »

Thread resurrection... I remember Matt Houston being on in the UK and liking it a lot in the 80s. Pamela Hensley (Princess Ardala in 'Buck Rogers') was his assistant. I certainly can't remember Matt Houston ever having a repeat showing hence its noticeable lack of fans around Europe.

The DVD boxset is currently going for silly money and as with many US shows, is tricky to get hold of if you're not in the US. There are some comments online regarding a disc fault with the boxset.

That said, I saw season 1 going cheap on ebay, thus it came in just under the EU's 22 Euro rule, so currently looking forward to this arriving. Lee Horsley also appears without tache in the early 80s series 'Nero Wolfe' which isn't bad.

Styles Bitchley

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

jno wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:30 am Thread resurrection... I remember Matt Houston being on in the UK and liking it a lot in the 80s. Pamela Hensley (Princess Ardala in 'Buck Rogers') was his assistant. I certainly can't remember Matt Houston ever having a repeat showing hence its noticeable lack of fans around Europe.

The DVD boxset is currently going for silly money and as with many US shows, is tricky to get hold of if you're not in the US. There are some comments online regarding a disc fault with the boxset.

That said, I saw season 1 going cheap on ebay, thus it came in just under the EU's 22 Euro rule, so currently looking forward to this arriving. Lee Horsley also appears without tache in the early 80s series 'Nero Wolfe' which isn't bad.
Despite me starting this thread, I never actually got the discs and never got to re-watch. I do need to rectify that. I look forward to a thorough review jno.

- J.Q.H.

jno
Captain

#11 Post by jno »

I'll do my best SB :wink:

Styles Bitchley

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Hey. I just realized most (if not all) of Matt Houston Season 1 is on YouTube. Terrible quality though. I'll still carve out some time to watch.

Season 1, Episodes 1 & 2

youtu.be/OHS4_KtlDu8

Season 1, Episode 3

youtu.be/bIYnlyf8eOY

Etc..

- J.Q.H.

jno
Captain

#13 Post by jno »

Watched the first two - it's not bad, it's ok but often played for laughs. Certainly based on the first two, Magnum PI is head and shoulders above this show. Noticed Gulls Way (from Hardcastle & McCormick) in episode 1 proper. Lee Horsley as Matt Houston sounds like a mix of James Garner's Rockford and Dirk Benedict's Templeton Peck.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Wonder if the women were as crazy about Horsley as they were about Selleck. Both tall, dark, and handsome. Muscular, well-built, mustache. The complete package, right? :wink:

Except maybe Selleck was first on the scene and everyone else was considered an imitation? But on the other hand I think Horsley was probably a bit more manly, being a Texan and all. And let's face it - Magnum whined a lot. :lol: So in that respect I would think Horsley would be more of a chick magnet.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#15 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:12 pm Wonder if the women were as crazy about Horsley as they were about Selleck. Both tall, dark, and handsome. Muscular, well-built, mustache. The complete package, right? :wink:

Except maybe Selleck was first on the scene and everyone else was considered an imitation? But on the other hand I think Horsley was probably a bit more manly, being a Texan and all. And let's face it - Magnum whined a lot. :lol: So in that respect I would think Horsley would be more of a chick magnet.
I have no clue which actor women would prefer, but I do remember Selleck was almost immediately referred to as the next Burt Reynolds when MPI debuted. I think the mustache was the entire basis for these comparisons. I think it was in the LA two-part episode that the Reynolds comparison was referenced humorously on MPI.