Any Spenser: For Hire Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

Re: Any Spenser: For Hire Fans?

#21 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

eagle wrote:I don't remember watching the show in the 80s, but I was introduced to the books in the early 1990s and have read many of them. The coolest part of this story is that in 1995 I moved to Cambridge. When I got there, I started seeing many places I had read about, so I wrote to Robert B Parker and thanked him for his Spenser series, because I felt like I already knew where I was. He sent back a form letter with a handwritten note on it, thanking me for my letter! :D I bet I still have that letter around here somewhere.

Unfortunately, "Spenser: For Hire" is not available on Hulu right now.
That's so cool! Someone uploaded a bunch of episodes of Spenser on YouTube. I watched 4 this weekend. They'll get taken down at some point for copyright violations.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MagnumILWU »

eagle wrote:I don't remember watching the show in the 80s, but I was introduced to the books in the early 1990s and have read many of them. The coolest part of this story is that in 1995 I moved to Cambridge. When I got there, I started seeing many places I had read about, so I wrote to Robert B Parker and thanked him for his Spenser series, because I felt like I already knew where I was. He sent back a form letter with a handwritten note on it, thanking me for my letter! :D I bet I still have that letter around here somewhere.

Unfortunately, "Spenser: For Hire" is not available on Hulu right now.
That's great! I didn't watch the show when it first aired! Started watching re-runs in 1991 on Lifetime! That's what got me started reading the books! Started buying new books when they came out, and found all the previous books at used book stores, etc! Love the books, and the TV show!
"pickled egg please"

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by Mr. Greene »

Just finished all 3 seasons of Spenser. One of the upsides of recovering from knee surgery. Really loved the show. Makes me wanna go to Boston and have a look around. It's too bad that it wasn't around longer. I remember trying to watch the Hawk spin off but that character was awesome in Spenser when he could just show up out of the blue but no offense to Mr. Brooks, Hawk just couldn't carry a full episode. Anyway glad I bought the set, I'll put them in the rotation.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MagnumILWU »

Mr. Greene wrote:Just finished all 3 seasons of Spenser. One of the upsides of recovering from knee surgery. Really loved the show. Makes me wanna go to Boston and have a look around. It's too bad that it wasn't around longer. I remember trying to watch the Hawk spin off but that character was awesome in Spenser when he could just show up out of the blue but no offense to Mr. Brooks, Hawk just couldn't carry a full episode. Anyway glad I bought the set, I'll put them in the rotation.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... 3,200_.jpg Nice photo's of Spenser's Boston!
"pickled egg please"

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#25 Post by Mr. Greene »

MagnumILWU wrote:
Mr. Greene wrote:Just finished all 3 seasons of Spenser. One of the upsides of recovering from knee surgery. Really loved the show. Makes me wanna go to Boston and have a look around. It's too bad that it wasn't around longer. I remember trying to watch the Hawk spin off but that character was awesome in Spenser when he could just show up out of the blue but no offense to Mr. Brooks, Hawk just couldn't carry a full episode. Anyway glad I bought the set, I'll put them in the rotation.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... 3,200_.jpg Nice photo's of Spenser's Boston!
Cool thanks

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by KingKC »

Spenser for Hire was a classic. I loved all the shots of Boston. It was a shame that Robert Urich died so young. He did a lot of TV and I think some made for television movies. I wish some cable station would re-run his shows. Some station did back in the mid 1990s but I have seen nothing since. If anyone knows of a station re-running the shows please post. I loved Avery Brooks on Spenser for Hire but I was not all that impressed by his role in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He was good but not classic like he was with Hawk.

KingKC

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MagnumILWU »

KingKC wrote:Spenser for Hire was a classic. I loved all the shots of Boston. It was a shame that Robert Urich died so young. He did a lot of TV and I think some made for television movies. I wish some cable station would re-run his shows. Some station did back in the mid 1990s but I have seen nothing since. If anyone knows of a station re-running the shows please post. I loved Avery Brooks on Spenser for Hire but I was not all that impressed by his role in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He was good but not classic like he was with Hawk.

KingKC
Robert Urich passed away April 16, 2002, 14 yrs ago today! Spenser: For Hire is one of my all time favorites! And I loved him as Jake Spoon in Lonesome Dove.
"pickled egg please"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by terryfromkerry »

Spencer For Hire fans might be interested to know Netflix film Spencer Confidential has a release date, 6th March 2020. Mark Wahlberg as Spencer and Winston Duke as Hawk. Described on IMDB as being loosely based on characters from Robert B. Parker's Spencer For Hire series of mystery novels.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by MagnumILWU »

terryfromkerry wrote:Spencer For Hire fans might be interested to know Netflix film Spencer Confidential has a release date, 6th March 2020. Mark Wahlberg as Spencer and Winston Duke as Hawk. Described on IMDB as being loosely based on characters from Robert B. Parker's Spencer For Hire series of mystery novels.
Yes, a 4 ft tall Spenser, and Hawk, who looks nothing like Hawk( to me, will always be the great Avery Brooks)! Robert B Parker must be glad he's dead!!
"pickled egg please"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumILWU wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:Spencer For Hire fans might be interested to know Netflix film Spencer Confidential has a release date, 6th March 2020. Mark Wahlberg as Spencer and Winston Duke as Hawk. Described on IMDB as being loosely based on characters from Robert B. Parker's Spencer For Hire series of mystery novels.
Yes, a 4 ft tall Spenser, and Hawk, who looks nothing like Hawk( to me, will always be the great Avery Brooks)! Robert B Parker must be glad he's dead!!
MagnumILWU,
"A 4 foot tall Spenser", boy you hit that out of the park. Anyone who has read the books or is a fan of the original series knows it's part of Spenser's character
that he is a strapping knight errant, the idealized large protector women dream of, hence the casting of Robert Urich.
Mark Wahlberg generously lists himself as 5'8 but when you see him on a talk show he is much shorter than even the female guests.
I do not measure a man by his height but give me a break, first Mini Me Magnum and now Shorty Spenser.
Why do these producers feel they have to recruit TV P.I.'s from Munchkin Land refugees? I bet if you look real close you can spot Jay as one of the natives
when Dorothy is greeted by the officials of Munchkin Land.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are under the unfortunate impression that just because you run away you have no courage; you’re confusing courage with wisdom. – The Wizard of Oz

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by eagle »

I wonder if the casting or Mark Wahlberg has to do with him being a native Bostonian. I personally like Wahlberg (and his brother Donnie, in Blue Bloods) and look forward to seeing him in this new adaptation.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#32 Post by NotthatRick »

It sounds like they have changed the story and the characters. I will not be watching.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I just discovered all 3 seasons of original Spenser can be streamed free on IMDBtv.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

eagle wrote:I wonder if the casting or Mark Wahlberg has to do with him being a native Bostonian. I personally like Wahlberg (and his brother Donnie, in Blue Bloods) and look forward to seeing him in this new adaptation.
Hi Eagle,
I haven't seen it but yesterday the reviewer on the radio said it was terrible, at least for fans of the books. That the producer has no understanding of the characters, what
makes them tick, failing to draw at all on the gold mine of the original source.
Hmm, did Lenkov get hold of this remake as well?

jno
Captain

#35 Post by jno »

I love Spenser For Hire and recently watched the entire three seasons over a period of a few months. It's a great show and Robert Urich was born to play Spenser I think (I could never really take to Vega$). For me the stand out season is the final one, way more action and bar two episodes I loved every one of them. There are a far more turkeys in seasons 1 and 2, but nevertheless still loved it.

I saw the recent Spenser Confidential Netflix effort and it was OK for what it was - if you're expecting Robert Urich's Spenser, you can forget it. For me, no one will ever replace Robert Urich in that role. Avery Brooks as Hawk is also untouchable for me.

I just have the 90s Spenser TV Movies to watch now, but I am spacing those out. Today I saw Robert Urich in 'Killing At Hell's Gate' - a TV movie from 1981 - this was pretty good too. Long live Robert Urich. Let's not forget Urich also starred alongside Selleck in 'Bunco' which I also have tucked away - this is OK to kill an hour.