Any Spenser: For Hire Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

Any Spenser: For Hire Fans?

#1 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

I'm a big fan of most 80's cop/P.I. shows, but Spenser is my favorite. Maybe it's because I've read all the books or maybe it's because Hawk was such a bada@#!
I just wish Warner Bros. would release it on dvd already! :x

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#2 Post by golfmobile »

I was a fan of that show too because I too had read all the books. But, sorry, Avery Brooks was not the Hawk I pictured. He wasn't bad, but I think he never did the "yes massa" kidding on the TV show (probably too politically incorrect) that he CAN and does do in the books -- he didn't seem to have the humor in the show that he has in the books. The Hawk I pictured while reading the books before the series was ever filmed was more like Ving Rhames or another guy whose name I canNOT think of right now to save my soul!

Anyway, I was also just mostly a Robert-Urich-as-Spenser fan (I think I didn't appreciate him UNTIL Spenser) -- did you ever see his "Lazarus Man" series?? Wonderful!! I think that was the show he was working on when he died.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#3 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

golfmobile wrote:I was a fan of that show too because I too had read all the books. But, sorry, Avery Brooks was not the Hawk I pictured. He wasn't bad, but I think he never did the "yes massa" kidding on the TV show (probably too politically incorrect) that he CAN and does do in the books -- he didn't seem to have the humor in the show that he has in the books. The Hawk I pictured while reading the books before the series was ever filmed was more like Ving Rhames or another guy whose name I canNOT think of right now to save my soul!

Anyway, I was also just mostly a Robert-Urich-as-Spenser fan (I think I didn't appreciate him UNTIL Spenser) -- did you ever see his "Lazarus Man" series?? Wonderful!! I think that was the show he was working on when he died.

golf
I saw an interview with Brooks a few years ago, and he said that he pretty much ad-libbed and created his own Hawk. In the pilot, he was supposed to give one of those "Yes Massa" lines, but he refused and made-up his own line. They did several takes before they gave in.
I was a Urich fan too. I never did see Lazarus Man, but I did see Vega$
I also didn't like what A&E did when they aired their version of Spenser with Joe Mantenga (sp?) as Spenser and some gay-looking/acting replacement for Hawk.

Carmen
MPI

#4 Post by Carmen »

I always loved 'Spenser' , mostly for Avery Brooks as Hawk. Wonder which network holds the german rights for it, cause it`s off the air for many many years now. Golf, maybe I liked A. Brooks`Hawk because I never read any of the books before I watched the series. Now, after reading several books (Cold Service, Back Story, Now & Then) I see what you mean.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Didn't see that many Spenser episodes back in the day. I remember liking the episodes that I saw, however. Havn't seen any since. Has it ever been in syndication?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#6 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

I only saw it in syndication. First on Lifetime, then on TNT. It hasn't been on tv since the late 90's.
Although, I do sometimes watch it online for free:

http://video.aol.com/show/spenser-for-hire

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#7 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Robert B Parker is in talks with TNT and Dreamworks about a remake of Spenser: For hire.

http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writer ... again.html

Also according to Parker, the seventh Jesee Stone movie will start shooting on Set. 8th.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Re: Any Spenser: For Hire Fans?

#8 Post by MagnumILWU »

I've seen a post where, Warner's Archive Collection is coming out(very soon) with the complete first season of, Spenser: For Hire! I sure hope it's true!
"pickled egg please"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MagnumILWU »

Season one of Spenser: For Hire, is now available from, Warner's Archive Collection! $40.00! I hoping it comes to store at a better price!
"pickled egg please"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MagnumILWU wrote:Season one of Spenser: For Hire, is now available from, Warner's Archive Collection! $40.00! I hoping it comes to store at a better price!
A bargain compared to what I spent on the first season of Magnum (when it first came out)!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#11 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

MagnumILWU wrote:Season one of Spenser: For Hire, is now available from, Warner's Archive Collection! $40.00! I hoping it comes to store at a better price!
I just ordered it! I never thought this would ever get released on DVD! :D

I think the only way to get it cheaper is later this year when Amazon is able to do their own MOD (Manufatured on Demand) release.

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by Mr. Greene »

I really liked Spenser it was a great show. I liked Urich since I was a little kid and watched SWAT. It was a big loss when he died

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MagnumILWU »

Finally got my season one DVD of Spenser: Foe Hire! It's always nice to have nice clean episodes to watch! Spenser has always been one of my favorite shows, and some of these episodes I haven't seen in years! Robert Urich is great as Spenser, and Avery Brooks as "Hawk", has to be the biggest "Bad Ass" on any TV show!
"pickled egg please"

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

I loved his Western "The Lazarus Man" too, though it didn't last very long. I was really disappointed with that was cancelled. I think he was a better actor than he may have been given credit for -- he was chilling in "Blind Faith." Gave me the heebie-jeebies, so creepy to see him as the villain.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MagnumILWU »

golfmobile wrote:I loved his Western "The Lazarus Man" too, though it didn't last very long. I was really disappointed with that was cancelled. I think he was a better actor than he may have been given credit for -- he was chilling in "Blind Faith." Gave me the heebie-jeebies, so creepy to see him as the villain.

golf
I believe they cancelled "The Lazarus Man", when Robert Urich got cancer for the first time! The producers didn't want to take the chance, that he may not be able to continue! The cold hearted nature of show business!
"pickled egg please"