Frasier

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Frasier

#11 Post by steveadl »

Very big fan of Frasier as well. Have them on DVD as well and always get a great laugh out of them when I go through the series again.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#12 Post by marlboro »

Just started rewatching it. Holds up very well. One of the very few sitcoms I've ever enjoyed.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by KingKC »

Frasier succeeded just like one of the reasons Magnum, PI succeeded...a great supporting cast. Mahoney, Gilpin, Leeves and Hyde-Pierce with many recurring characters (especially Bulldog) deserve a lot of credit just like Hillerman, Manetti and Mosley and characters like Lt. Tanaka kept MPI going. Frasier was classic.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#14 Post by marlboro »

Just finished the series. Very good. The first 4 seasons are the best. There is a small dip in season 5, but it rebounds with a very strong season 6. 7 is also good, but 8 is comparatively weak. The writers seemed to be a bit lost after bringing Niles and Daphne together, and the stories began to emphasize plot over humor. While those two characters were never as funny again, there were still several good episodes in seasons 9 and and the first half of season 10. I don't know what happened at that point, but I just didn't laugh nearly as much from that point on. There are still some pretty good episodes in 11, but no real classics.

One complaint - I rarely liked the semi recurring characters that were introduced. These characters were usually (but not always) Crane boy's girlfriends that were introduced and would stick around for a half dozen episodes or so. They just seemed to have a knack for casting actresses that I didn't like, or giving the characters unpleasant (and unfunny) dispositions.

Recommended episodes: "Ham Radio" and "To Kill a Talking Bird." Both from season 4.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by KingKC »

My wife and I have been watching reruns of Frasier on COZI/FETV for some time now and we just saw the finale. I think it was a great finale in that it very succinctly wrapped up the lives of all characters as they all progressed to a new, different and ostensibly better life. I really had forgotten how great that series was. It may have been the greatest spin-off ever.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Lily »

Absolutely loved Frasier and even today, have no problem watching re-runs as I find them a lot more preferable than many of the new programs shown on television these days.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by KingKC »

I just read that John Mahoney, Fraiser's dad...Martin Crane...died today at the age of 77. The cause was not listed. May he rest in peace. He was part of one of the greatest sitcoms I every watched. My wife and I watched reruns of that show at least 4 times. I have always asserted that the supporting cast of that show really made the difference.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by MHTR »

KingKC wrote:I just read that John Mahoney, Fraiser's dad...Martin Crane...died today at the age of 77.
Sad to hear to that. Frazier was such a great show. All the main characters/actors were a perfect fit for the show and for each other, just like Magnum.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KingKC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:01 am I just read that John Mahoney, Fraiser's dad...Martin Crane...died today at the age of 77. The cause was not listed. May he rest in peace. He was part of one of the greatest sitcoms I every watched. My wife and I watched reruns of that show at least 4 times. I have always asserted that the supporting cast of that show really made the difference.
The 4 times married Kelsey Grammar has had a tragic life.
His 18 year old sister was kidnapped, raped and murdered by 3 animals and it fell to 20 year old Kelsey to identify the body.
This led to his lifelong battle with alcohol and other addictions.
His two teen brothers died while scuba diving. His dad was murdered in a home invasion. Just a few weeks ago he was tending bar in several NJ joints to promote his new beer company,
"Faith American Brewing Company". He spent hours in each bar, chatted with the customers, it wasn't just a PR stunt with him serving one drink and leaving.
A woman customer remarked that he was friendly and pulled a good beer with the proper head, but that he seemed "to have the saddest soul of anyone I have ever met".