Frasier

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

Frasier

#1 Post by Jeffrey »

Aloha,

Since a while I started watching a show that's been running for a long time (11 years). I think the characters are great, and the show has the perfect comedy that I like.

Kelsey Grammar does a great job playing Frasier, but this show wouldn't be the success it has been without David Hide Pierce (Niles), John Mahoney (Martin) and of course other characters like Daphne and Roz.

How do you all think feel about this show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSK1UeD9nvE
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#2 Post by Agatha »

I loved it, too, Jeffrey...and it was set in Seattle, which is in Washington State where I live so that was fun as well.

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Frodoleader »

I watched this mostly in reruns, but still enjoyed it immensely. and Roz...hubba, hubba! :twisted:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#4 Post by N1095A »

" Hey baby I hear the blues a callin' tossed salads and scrambled eggs..."
"But Higgins, I can explain."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

Jeffrey,

I liked Frasier a great deal. I am a bit of a television snob. I do not watch many things because they seem so simplistic and, frankly, too low brow for an educated person.

I tried to watch Cheers in the 80s but I found it silly. Sam always talking about his 'action' grew tiresome very quickly. I was a little intrigued by the Frasier character and I liked the few episodes that heavily featured him. Once the show, Frasier, began, I watched it to give it a chance. I was hooked immediately. The writing was very clever and the characters were interesting. There were some silly moments but I found much of the series very enjoyable.

My favorite episode of all is the one where Frasier is producing his own radio promo jingle. That one was double hillarious for me...

Mahalo
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Jeffrey »

LG, You mean the scene I linked in the first post? In that case, yes its a great hillarious one indeed!

I think I've seen a lot of the episodes but not all (season 2,5).

I don't like to think of the fact I won't be seeïng any new episodes at a certain point... I know I realy love Magnum, P.I. but I've seen all the episodes, and the idea of never seeïng anything new of it...

Anyway, I'm gladd I still enjoy it, even while seeing a episode of the third of fourth time. :)

And every know and then something new, like those outtakes, show up :)
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

wilko
Captain

#7 Post by wilko »

This was a brilliant series :D and one I watched as often as I could. One of the interesting things about it was how despite being the lead character, Frasier would frequently be subsumed into the cast and this led to a great blend of multi dialogues.

Unlike Niles, I'd be taking every opportunity to get a good look at Roz's bum :lol:

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#8 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

lutherhgillis wrote:Jeffrey,

I tried to watch Cheers in the 80s but I found it silly. Sam always talking about his 'action' grew tiresome very quickly.
Thank you. Cheers is supposed to be some pinnacle of intelligent comedy, yet I also find its humor really silly. Now Frasier, on the other hand, is the best sitcom ever. Probably the only case of a spin-off being vastly superior to the parent show.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by No need to know! »

This is a modern classic. Always funny.
I have never been a fan of old Cheers. I don´t get the hype that show had.
Onion´s extra?

Pedicab Driver
Ensign

#10 Post by Pedicab Driver »

A great show fo sho. Gotta like when the Cheers crowd make cameo appearances.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Frasier

#11 Post by steveadl »

Very big fan of Frasier as well. Have them on DVD as well and always get a great laugh out of them when I go through the series again.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#12 Post by marlboro »

Just started rewatching it. Holds up very well. One of the very few sitcoms I've ever enjoyed.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by KingKC »

Frasier succeeded just like one of the reasons Magnum, PI succeeded...a great supporting cast. Mahoney, Gilpin, Leeves and Hyde-Pierce with many recurring characters (especially Bulldog) deserve a lot of credit just like Hillerman, Manetti and Mosley and characters like Lt. Tanaka kept MPI going. Frasier was classic.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#14 Post by marlboro »

Just finished the series. Very good. The first 4 seasons are the best. There is a small dip in season 5, but it rebounds with a very strong season 6. 7 is also good, but 8 is comparatively weak. The writers seemed to be a bit lost after bringing Niles and Daphne together, and the stories began to emphasize plot over humor. While those two characters were never as funny again, there were still several good episodes in seasons 9 and and the first half of season 10. I don't know what happened at that point, but I just didn't laugh nearly as much from that point on. There are still some pretty good episodes in 11, but no real classics.

One complaint - I rarely liked the semi recurring characters that were introduced. These characters were usually (but not always) Crane boy's girlfriends that were introduced and would stick around for a half dozen episodes or so. They just seemed to have a knack for casting actresses that I didn't like, or giving the characters unpleasant (and unfunny) dispositions.

Recommended episodes: "Ham Radio" and "To Kill a Talking Bird." Both from season 4.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by KingKC »

My wife and I have been watching reruns of Frasier on COZI/FETV for some time now and we just saw the finale. I think it was a great finale in that it very succinctly wrapped up the lives of all characters as they all progressed to a new, different and ostensibly better life. I really had forgotten how great that series was. It may have been the greatest spin-off ever.