KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Columbo

#1 Post by KENJI »

Peter Falk passed away today.

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by wwmd »

I always knew him as the grandfather in The Princess Bride. I'll miss him.

--Sammy
ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I loved Columbo and all the other stuff he was in.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#4 Post by rubber chicken »

I'm more bummed out by Peter Falk's passing than any other "celebrity" death in recent years. I first knew him from The Princess Bride, then Colombo which I grew to love (but I haven't seen on tv for a long time now), then I started looking for movies he had been in, and I've never been disappointed.

The article I read in the local paper wrote that at the beginning of his career an agent said to him "of course you'll never be able to work in television or film" because of his glass eye. I also never knew that Colombo began as part of the Sunday NBC Mystery Movie series. Some forum members probably know this, but Colombo played every third week, with McCloud and McMillan & Wife airing the other two weeks.

Here's a short clip from Murder By Death.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

RIP Peter Falk! :cry:

He's always been one of my favorite actors. Columbo, Murder by Death, Princess Bride, A Woman Under the Influence, and so many more! He was a great actor!

"The eye supplied him with fodder for the colorful stories he like to tell, including how it ended up in the mouth of a Pekingese and in the glass of gin that jazz pianist Art Tatum had been drinking." :)

An American icon!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Seaver41 »

the trenchcoat is usually associated with unsavory things, but Peter Falk as Columbo did right by it. Good actor.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

On last week's Ebert Presents At The Movies, Roger Ebert talked about Peter Falk and two of his films in a short two and a half minute piece.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

rubber chicken wrote:On last week's Ebert Presents At The Movies, Roger Ebert talked about Peter Falk and two of his films in a short two and a half minute piece.
Thanks RC. Haven't seen either of those films. They look pretty good.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

For what it's worth I recommend them both highly, for those at all interested in such films. Roger Ebert has also written reviews of both films for his Great Movies series. I always enjoy reading his Great Movies reviews after seeing a movie he's included. As they aren't written on a deadline, they're better than the everyday critics reviews - very well written and thought provoking. For anyone interested, here's Wings of Desire, and A Woman Under the Influence.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Used to watch Columbo when it was first aired, you know, back in the "ole days" :wink: Always liked it then and not much has changed for me regarding that.

Just got my boxed set from Amazon of the entire series plus all the movie specials were included, at least as far as I can determine.

Am in the process of watching it all over again, a season at a time (no...not all at one sitting! :lol: ) More enjoyable now than I remember it being originally, but I guess that could be cause maybe my perspective is a little more mature? :) Either way, am really enjoying it.

Got the entire package for 60 bucks, free delivery! It was listed as a one day special, which I'm guessing is true cause next day it was listed at over $170 for the same package, with shipping extra! Don't know if they'll list it again for the reduced price, but I think I got a great deal. No problems with any of the discs yet, and I'm almost through season 3.

Anyway, just thought I'd let anybody interested know that the complete series is now available.

Oh yea, amongst the season 3 discs, is included a "bonus" of an episode of "Mr's Columbo", starring Kate Mulgrew which was an unexpected pleasure, as it was not mentioned in the ad for the set. I'm liking it! :D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Braddah Kimo »

The trenchcoat is usually associated with film noir private detectives and fourties hoods. And now Columbo. Nothing unsavory about that.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Columbo

#12 Post by marlboro »

Just one more thing...

You can't list great Peter Falk movies and not mention The In-Laws (1979.) It's an all time classic.

RIP

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Sam »

I recently watched an episode from season one..Blueprint for Murder..1972...Sellecks house was used for filming.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Little Garwood »

The best killers all have repeat appearances:

Jack Cassidy--

Murder by the Book
Publish or Perish
Now You See Him

My #1 pick, and the guest actor most associated with this show. No one's smarmier, sleazier, and yet so utterly charming! I haven't seen Cassidy in too much else, but I daresay outside of his Broadway roles, his Columbo appearances are his lasting career legacy. Cassidy plays it broad, but it's always believable. He's got that sleaze/charm routine down pat. Forget Indiana Jones, I'd ask Spielberg what it was like to direct Jack Cassidy!

Robert Culp-

Death Lends a Hand
The Most Crucial Game
Double Exposure

What I like about Culp's performances is that they actually seem like a real life arrogant S.O.B. Not played over-the-top, but he's like someone you'd meet and then despise. His Bart Kepple barely tolerates Lt. Columbo, but only deals with him because the man is the law. Kudos to Culp for growing a Fu Manchi 'stache for The Most Crucial Game.

Patrick McGoohan-

By Dawn's Early Light
Identity Crisis

By Dawn's Early Light is a preview of McGoohan's Escape From Alcatrazwarden. Both men are righteous and totally blind in their belief system, with no room for negotiation. Yes, they believe their own tired cliches, like Haynes says to McGoohan in Early Light.

My favorite McGoohan is Identity Crisis, when The Master brings a charm and "Be seeing you" to the proceedings. He even gets to play spy with his Steinmetz persona. Love Pat's 1970s threads, too. The fact that McGoohan seemed uncomfortable in his own skin is what I find fascinating about him. The tension he brought to every character he ever played is one of the great aspects of his style.

These three performers are hands down the very best in terms of rapport with Lt. Columbo: deviousness, charm, and all-around screen charisma---IMO. And they all bring their unique strengths to their roles and make every Columbo they're in the most memorable for me.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#15 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:05 pm The best killers all have repeat appearances:

Jack Cassidy--

Murder by the Book
Publish or Perish
Now You See Him

My #1 pick, and the guest actor most associated with this show. No one's smarmier, sleazier, and yet so utterly charming! I haven't seen Cassidy in too much else, but I daresay outside of his Broadway roles, his Columbo appearances are his lasting career legacy. Cassidy plays it broad, but it's always believable. He's got that sleaze/charm routine down pat. Forget Indiana Jones, I'd ask Spielberg what it was like to direct Jack Cassidy!

Robert Culp-

Death Lends a Hand
The Most Crucial Game
Double Exposure

What I like about Culp's performances is that they actually seem like a real life arrogant S.O.B. Not played over-the-top, but he's like someone you'd meet and then despise. His Bart Kepple barely tolerates Lt. Columbo, but only deals with him because the man is the law. Kudos to Culp for growing a Fu Manchi 'stache for The Most Crucial Game.

Patrick McGoohan-

By Dawn's Early Light
Identity Crisis

By Dawn's Early Light is a preview of McGoohan's Escape From Alcatrazwarden. Both men are righteous and totally blind in their belief system, with no room for negotiation. Yes, they believe their own tired cliches, like Haynes says to McGoohan in Early Light.

My favorite McGoohan is Identity Crisis, when The Master brings a charm and "Be seeing you" to the proceedings. He even gets to play spy with his Steinmetz persona. Love Pat's 1970s threads, too. The fact that McGoohan seemed uncomfortable in his own skin is what I find fascinating about him. The tension he brought to every character he ever played is one of the great aspects of his style.

These three performers are hands down the very best in terms of rapport with Lt. Columbo: deviousness, charm, and all-around screen charisma---IMO. And they all bring their unique strengths to their roles and make every Columbo they're in the most memorable for me.
These are great episodes and villains. McGoohan appeared in a couple of the later episodes also, and directed several, including directing himself.