Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#91 Post by Majordomo »

There used to be a forum dedicated to Simon & Simon and I remember a debate popped up about which theme was the best. I was surprised to see that were as many fans of the original theme as there were of the later theme. I grew up knowing the later theme as the true theme, but I have to admit that the original theme has grown on me over the years.

The three different openings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqBOkXU75R0

First season end theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiCiBnnRFs

Theme from later seasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDhz_mVcVCQ

Thrasher Brothers - Best of Friends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L0wbN_mlp8
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#92 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Majordomo wrote:There used to be a forum dedicated to Simon & Simon and I remember a debate popped up about which theme was the best. I was surprised to see that were as many fans of the original theme as there were of the later theme. I grew up knowing the later theme as the true theme, but I have to admit that the original theme has grown on me over the years.
Wow. interesting to read some of the comments on the youtube compilation saying that they prefer the first one! I just don't get it - especially compared to the replacement theme, which I think is one of the best TV theme songs ever. Maybe it's because I never saw the first season episodes at all - until the DVD release.

Thanks for sharing the clip of the Thrasher Brothers. No info there. Do you know if the song existed before the show or was it made for the show?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#93 Post by Majordomo »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Majordomo wrote:There used to be a forum dedicated to Simon & Simon and I remember a debate popped up about which theme was the best. I was surprised to see that were as many fans of the original theme as there were of the later theme. I grew up knowing the later theme as the true theme, but I have to admit that the original theme has grown on me over the years.
Wow. interesting to read some of the comments on the youtube compilation saying that they prefer the first one! I just don't get it - especially compared to the replacement theme, which I think is one of the best TV theme songs ever. Maybe it's because I never saw the first season episodes at all - until the DVD release.

Thanks for sharing the clip of the Thrasher Brothers. No info there. Do you know if the song existed before the show or was it made for the show?
From the bits and pieces I have found on the song, I believe it was made for the show.

There is also this recent gem (in case you missed it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX1kCun566k
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

Styles Bitchley

#94 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Majordomo wrote:There is also this recent gem (in case you missed it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX1kCun566k
I had missed that one, actually! It's awesome! Watching what they came up with makes it even more noticeable what a perfect shot AJ's tumbling roll into a gun shot is.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by steveadl »

Wow that was hilarious! Thanks for posting the video Majordomo!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#96 Post by J.J. Walters »

Simon & Simon is on Cozi TV now! I stumbled upon an episode the other day. It was Emerald's are Not a Girl's Best Friend! I kid you not! LOL! I actually caught the very end of the high school reunion episode just before it. Lovin' it! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

#97 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:Simon & Simon is on Cozi TV now! I stumbled upon an episode the other day. It was Emerald's are Not a Girl's Best Friend! I kid you not! LOL! I actually caught the very end of the high school reunion episode just before it. Lovin' it! :)
Wonder if they'll make a big deal out of it like they did for Magnum? S&S deserves some love.

- J.Q.H.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#98 Post by Doc Ibold »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Simon & Simon is on Cozi TV now! I stumbled upon an episode the other day. It was Emerald's are Not a Girl's Best Friend! I kid you not! LOL! I actually caught the very end of the high school reunion episode just before it. Lovin' it! :)
Wonder if they'll make a big deal out of it like they did for Magnum? S&S deserves some love.
Nice!

I'll have to record that now that I have Comcast again

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#99 Post by J.J. Walters »

Looks like S&S is on weekdays at 1PM (EST) and Thursday nights at 10PM. Magnum is now on Thursdays at 8PM. That makes for great Thursday Night viewing, just like the old days! And Baywatch has been added, if that means anything to anybody. ;)

Have to say one thing while we're talking about Cozi TV... Fantasy Island does NOT hold up well today. I used to love that show when I was young. Now it seems so tacky, so slow, with bad acting, bad scripts and horrible sets. Interestingly, I think Hart to Hart DOES hold up well, although I can't really explain why! My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I still like that show. :)

Styles Bitchley

#100 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:Have to say one thing while we're talking about Cozi TV... Fantasy Island does NOT hold up well today. I used to love that show when I was young. Now it seems so tacky, so slow, with bad acting, bad scripts and horrible sets. Interestingly, I think Hart to Hart DOES hold up well, although I can't really explain why! My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I still like that show. :)
I actually have an appreciation for the tacky scenes, bad acting and worse jokes in Fantasy Island and Love Boat. I agree that they don't hold up as well, but there's a comfort there that I appreciate...like a well aged Limburger. I'll have to revisit Hart to Hart. Haven't seen it since it's original run.

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#101 Post by J.J. Walters »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Have to say one thing while we're talking about Cozi TV... Fantasy Island does NOT hold up well today. I used to love that show when I was young. Now it seems so tacky, so slow, with bad acting, bad scripts and horrible sets. Interestingly, I think Hart to Hart DOES hold up well, although I can't really explain why! My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I still like that show. :)
I actually have an appreciation for the tacky scenes, bad acting and worse jokes in Fantasy Island and Love Boat. I agree that they don't hold up as well, but there's a comfort there that I appreciate...like a well aged Limburger. I'll have to revisit Hart to Hart. Haven't seen it since it's original run.

Hi Styles!

The Love Boat is a much better analogy (same production company, same era, same network, same night), as I still enjoy that one, too. I think the problem with Fantasy Island is that the drama and suspense aspect of the show just falls completely flat when viewed today. Most of them, anyway. The comedic stories hold up better. But Ricardo Montalban is great, no doubt. The Love Boat, for those that can get into it, is timeless! As you said, it's "comforting". It makes you feel good.

...And now, back to the DVD's of Simon & Simon, of which I still have none! I smell a Xmas present coming up. :)

Note: This Thursday's S&S episode (9/3) is "Design for Killing" (Season Two), which features our old Magnum friend Denny "Tarzan" Miller!

"A young super-model becomes infatuated with A.J. when Simon and Simon are hired to protect her new Fall fashions from being stolen by the competition."

Sounds like a cross between Magnum's "Three Minus Two" and "Mixed Doubles". ;)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm near the end of season seven and while I miss the presence of Tim Reid's Downtown Brown, season seven is quite good; I'd say that season five is the series' weakest thus far. I've never watched season eight, but it's just around the bend.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#103 Post by Pahonu »

J.J. Walters wrote: And Baywatch has been added, if that means anything to anybody. ;)
Have to say I worked in production on the show from 93 to 95 and it means nothing to me even now! :wink:

Styles Bitchley

#104 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote: And Baywatch has been added, if that means anything to anybody. ;)
Have to say I worked in production on the show from 93 to 95 and it means nothing to me even now! :wink:
Pam Anderson in a bathing suit in her prime means nothing to you, Pahonu??

Speaking on hot babes, the hottest I've seen in my recent re-watching of Simon and Simon is Lisa Eilbacher in Season 1 "Earth to Stacey." Mama mia!

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#105 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Pam Anderson in a bathing suit in her prime means nothing to you, Pahonu??

Speaking on hot babes, the hottest I've seen in my recent re-watching of Simon and Simon is Lisa Eilbacher in Season 1 "Earth to Stacey." Mama mia!
Don't get me wrong, Styles. The views at work were great, but the hours were long and tedious and the result was laughable! The pay was pretty good, though. Lots of extras in bikinis to fraternize with also helped. :lol: