Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#31 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:It's great that all eight seasons of the show are now on DVD!
Wow, awesome news! I can't wait to revisit this show.

I know what you mean about the musical connection. For some reason, the episode that features Hey Jude (did they actually get the rights to air the Beatles version? I can't remember) has stuck with me ever since the original broadcast. I've never seen it since though. Don't even know what episode it is.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#32 Post by Mr. Greene »

Finally have seasons 6,7,8 on the way. Now I will have the complete sets of both of my all time favorite shows. Can't wait to relive Thursday nights of the past.
I only wish there was a website like this for S&S. or I had the skill to make one.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Little Garwood »

I stopped watching Simon & Simon after season four (1984-85). I would have been 13-14 during that time and so it is a show I associate with my middle school years. I've since read that the later seasons, particularly the last two (7 and 8 were more serious in tone. The "Miami Vice-ification" of S&S and MPI are part of what kept me away from TV at that time, though I rarely watched any TV during my high school years.

I have since been proven wrong about MPI being all like "Death and Taxes" and "Laura" and I have come to enjoy those episodes but I also look forward to seeing Simon & Simon's last seasons. Any thoughts on those episodes? Are they worth watching?

Seasons 2 and 3 should be arriving today and like many here, I fully intend to recreate those Thursday nights of my youth when Magnum and the Simons ruled the TV roost! I will begin with the crossover episodes and then do double features of MPI and the Simons according to their broadcast dates; I can't wait!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#34 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:Seasons 2 and 3 should be arriving today and like many here, I fully intend to recreate those Thursday nights of my youth when Magnum and the Simons ruled the TV roost! I will begin with the crossover episodes and then do double features of MPI and the Simons according to their broadcast dates; I can't wait!
Very jealous. Looking forward to purchasing my own copies. You buy on Amazon?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Very jealous. Looking forward to purchasing my own copies. You buy on Amazon?
I recommend purchasing directly from Shout Factory, the company that released seasons 2-8. Season two and season three are only $20.49 each. That's about eighteen Dollars less than Amazon's price. Even with shipping and tax it's MUCH less to buy from Shout.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#36 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thank you, sir! Very helpful.

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Little Garwood »

Glad to help out a fellow MPI/S&S fan. :)

Simon & Simon was a lot more popular than I remember! Take a look at their Nielsen ratings:

Season One (1981-82): S&S not in top 30. (MPI was #17)
Season Two (1982-83): #7 (MPI was #4 for the year)
Season Three (1983-84): #5 (MPI was #6)
Season Four (1984-85): #7 (MPI was #15)
Season Five: (1985-86): #29 (MPI not in top 30)
Seasons Six-Eight: S&S not in top 30. Childhood is truly dead. lol
Last edited by Little Garwood on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#38 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I was reading an old Mad Magazine the other night and stumbled upon the parody "Simple & Simple." The parody is introduced by the one and only Dumbas Magnumb and the show is constantly being mocked for being popular because of its lead in show, Magnumb P.U. Funny stuff.

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Little Garwood »

I just ordered that MAD magazine (#239 June 1983 issue) a couple of days ago! Can't wait to read it.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#40 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:I just ordered that MAD magazine (#239 June 1983 issue) a couple of days ago! Can't wait to read it.
That's the one! So much fun revisiting my boyhood...only this time around, I'm surprised to find how political it is. It actually had some very witty social commentary scattered amongst the fart jokes and pop culture satire.

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Little Garwood »

Mad also had a lot of pointed commentary about families and the amount of political jabs is delightful, no matter who or what party was the recipient of Mad's barbs. I often felt like Mad was run by, say, the friends of one's uncle, only they were so much more interesting!

That Simon & Simon issue also has (in addition to a Selleck cameo) a hilarious bit on where to store all those nuclear weapons. It's great stuff.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#42 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I was reading an old Mad Magazine the other night and stumbled upon the parody "Simple & Simple." The parody is introduced by the one and only Dumbas Magnumb and the show is constantly being mocked for being popular because of its lead in show, Magnumb P.U. Funny stuff.
As I mentioned previously: Selleck is rendered in the MAD parody, as is Morgan Fairchild, perhaps in her "Catherine Hailey" characterization; funny stuff! I think it merits adding to the "Print Media" section of Magnum-Mania, so if you want a scan of the entire S&S MAD parody, James, I can shoot it your way.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#43 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I just uploaded my pdf copy to Scribd. You can access it here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/213664562/Mad-Magazine-239

If you want me to email it to you, just send me a pm.

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Little Garwood »

Seeing as you've already got it handy, then there's no need for my copy. :)

As for the series itself, I am hesitant to "pull the trigger" on picking up seasons 5-8 of S&S. For many reasons, I associate the show with my middle school years, when it was the show most of us remember. From what I've read about those latter seasons, S&S was another victim of "Miami Vice-ification", eschewing its light touch and moving towards too many "serious" episodes. If anyone's seen those last few years and can confirm or deny the tenor of the program during that time, I'm all ears. Is it still worth getting?

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#45 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I've actually never seen those seasons either Garwood. I would say I watched up until about 1985. Not sure if the show dropped off or I grew out of it.

- J.Q.H.