Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#151 Post by Little Garwood »

I deleted my Photobucket account in disgust when they went Cosa Nostra, so the photos, while saved elsewhere, would no longer be visible on that wretched company's site.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#152 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:I deleted my Photobucket account in disgust when they went Cosa Nostra, so the photos, while saved elsewhere, would no longer be visible on that wretched company's site.
I hear ya. That was the ultimate bait and switch.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#153 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm trying to identify an Aloha shirt worn by Rick Simon throughout seasons five and eight of Simon & Simon. It looks a lot like TM's legendary "Jungle Bird" shirt, right down to the red, green, and lavender color combination, but it is in fact a different shirt.

IMDb has a screen cap of Rick wearing the shirt in the season five episode The Third Eye.

Can anyone identify which brand it is?

Rick also wears a black background-colored shirt in "Ki'i's Don't Lie", which I also like.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#154 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:I'm trying to identify an Aloha shirt worn by Rick Simon throughout seasons five and eight of Simon & Simon. It looks a lot like TM's legendary "Jungle Bird" shirt, right down to the red, green, and lavender color combination, but it is in fact a different shirt.

IMDb has a screen cap of Rick wearing the shirt in the season five episode The Third Eye.

Rick also wears a black background-colored shirt in "Ki'i's Don't Lie", which I also like.
Never noticed the similarity, you're right. But certainly a different shirt.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#155 Post by Styles Bitchley »

...and since Gar has revived this thread, I'll give a shout out to Gerald McRaney's acting chops in the relatively new show This is Us. I was surprised how solid he is whenever he's on screen (not too much). He even won his first Emmy.

- J.Q.H.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#156 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Little Garwood wrote:I'm trying to identify an Aloha shirt worn by Rick Simon throughout seasons five and eight of Simon & Simon. It looks a lot like TM's legendary "Jungle Bird" shirt, right down to the red, green, and lavender color combination, but it is in fact a different shirt.

Hi LG! I just want to say glad to see you back... always enjoy your posts! I still haven't watched the S&S series yet :oops: , but I'll get to it one of these days! :D

Anyway, Sam asked me to post this larger pic of the shirt he found for folks to see...

Styles Bitchley

#157 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

Hi LG! I just want to say glad to see you back... always enjoy your posts! I still haven't watched the S&S series yet :oops: , but I'll get to it one of these days! :D

Anyway, Sam asked me to post this larger pic of the shirt he found for folks to see...
You know, it might not be a bad idea to ask the woman RG identified as the one who made the aloha shirts for Magnum. They were both on CBS and we've seen how the studio often shared resources between shows - Coops beer springs to mind.

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#158 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:Rick also wears a black background-colored shirt in "Ki'i's Don't Lie", which I also like.
...and thanks to the Magnum-Mania archives, here is a screen cap of that shirt (actually taken from "Emeralds are Not a Girl's Best Friend"):

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi LG! I just want to say glad to see you back... always enjoy your posts! I still haven't watched the S&S series yet :oops: , but I'll get to it one of these days! :D
Thank you for the kind words. You should definitely watch a few Simon & Simon episodes, especially seasons 2-4, though like seasons 5-8 of MPI, I have warmed up considerably to S&S' second half run.

It's good to hear from you, Styles! You're a longtime contributor to this thread.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#159 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:Rick also wears a black background-colored shirt in "Ki'i's Don't Lie", which I also like.
...and thanks to the Magnum-Mania archives, here is a screen cap of that shirt (actually taken from "Emeralds are Not a Girl's Best Friend"):

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi LG! I just want to say glad to see you back... always enjoy your posts! I still haven't watched the S&S series yet :oops: , but I'll get to it one of these days! :D
Thank you for the kind words. You should definitely watch a few Simon & Simon episodes, especially seasons 2-4, though like seasons 5-8 of MPI, I have warmed up considerably to S&S' second half run.

It's good to hear from you, Styles! You're a longtime contributor to this thread.
Yeah man. Love this show!

- J.Q.H.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#160 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

You know, it might not be a bad idea to ask the woman RG identified as the one who made the aloha shirts for Magnum. They were both on CBS and we've seen how the studio often shared resources between shows - Coops beer springs to mind.
Hi LG, here's what Styles is referring to: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 080#p53544

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#161 Post by Majordomo »

A few years back they had S&S on Hulu, but its either not there anymore or you have to pay for it. Are the DVD's the only way to watch it now?
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#162 Post by Little Garwood »

Majordomo wrote:A few years back they had S&S on Hulu, but its either not there anymore or you have to pay for it. Are the DVD's the only way to watch it now?
I don't have a Hulu account (I have the DVDs), but it looks like they still have seasons 1-3 available (probably have to pay, like you said).

RG: Thanks. Also, thanks to whoever posted the Paradise Clothing Co. link. They sell an Aloha shirt that's vaguely reminiscent of the red one Rick Simon wears. Take a look here.

~Tom Selleck

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#163 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Little Garwood wrote:
Majordomo wrote:A few years back they had S&S on Hulu, but its either not there anymore or you have to pay for it. Are the DVD's the only way to watch it now?
I don't have a Hulu account (I have the DVDs), but it looks like they still have seasons 1-3 available (probably have to pay, like you said).

RG: Thanks. Also, thanks to whoever posted the Paradise Clothing Co. link. They sell an Aloha shirt that's vaguely reminiscent of the red one Rick Simon wears. Take a look here.
You're welcome, LG!

The other day I did the research on watching S&S free but came up empty. I could've done the hulu subscription but I don't like subscriptions (I always end up paying monthly and not watching anything :? ) so I bought season one from amazon (and now I have the dvds if hulu pulls it.) Anyway, I watched the first episode last night and I really enjoyed it, especially the lighthearted, comedic aspect. Second ep tonight! :D

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#164 Post by Nikita70 »

It’s a great show. I’m sure the chances of a Blu-ray release are absolutely zero but the DVDs are passable. Has anyone noticed AJ wears a Rolex Pepsi like Magnum?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#165 Post by Little Garwood »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote: I bought season one from amazon (and now I have the dvds if hulu pulls it.) Anyway, I watched the first episode last night and I really enjoyed it, especially the lighthearted, comedic aspect. Second ep tonight! :D
In the S1 Simon & Simon episode Double Entry (sadly, that is the episode's title), did you notice Rick Simon's more detailed "Will Kill Pest Control" routine, which would reappear on Magnum's Ki'i's Don't Lie episode.
Nikita70 wrote: Has anyone noticed AJ wears a Rolex Pepsi like Magnum?
I'm fairly sure that A.J. wore the "Pepsi" Rolex before Thomas. Not 100%, but pretty certain.

~Tom Selleck