Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#61 Post by Little Garwood »

"Tonight, on Simon & Simon..."

I've always wondered who the announcer was who spoke those words at the start of every episode "teaser" just before the credits. I've always half-believed it was series creator Philip DeGuere, but have no way of knowing for sure.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by steveadl »

Have started watching Simon & Simon for the first time ever. Currently going through season 1 and thoroughly enjoying it.

Whilst not as good as MPI, it's enjoyable and I always enjoy watching 80's shows, especially for the first time.

One thing I've noted, almost every single episode so far as I come to the end of Season 1 has had a guest actor who has also appeared on an episode of Magnum PI. I think I've only noted 1 episode that didn't, of which I'm going to go back and check IMDB to see if I can't find a small cross over actor in it somewhere.

Will be interesting to see if this trend continues as I head into the next seasons.

Just watching episode 11 Double Entry now and Rick uses the same pest control bit to get access to a property as he did on MPI.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Little Garwood »

Welcome to Simon & Simon, steveadl! It's interesting to learn the views of a S&S "newbie." :)

Yes, Rick's pest control bit is something I mentioned in the Ki'is Don't Lie thread. I wonder if that bit of trivia will be added to the episode page? James or Doc?

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#64 Post by Styles Bitchley »

steveadl wrote:Have started watching Simon & Simon for the first time ever. Currently going through season 1 and thoroughly enjoying it.

Whilst not as good as MPI, it's enjoyable and I always enjoy watching 80's shows, especially for the first time.

One thing I've noted, almost every single episode so far as I come to the end of Season 1 has had a guest actor who has also appeared on an episode of Magnum PI. I think I've only noted 1 episode that didn't, of which I'm going to go back and check IMDB to see if I can't find a small cross over actor in it somewhere.

Will be interesting to see if this trend continues as I head into the next seasons.

Just watching episode 11 Double Entry now and Rick uses the same pest control bit to get access to a property as he did on MPI.
Love that you're getting into the show Steve. Season 2 is even better!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#65 Post by Dave Anderson »

I grew up in San Diego, so Simon and Simon was naturally one of my favorite shows. This was the only show at the time set in San Diego, which I always found odd considering the proximity of the city to Hollywood (2 hours) and the scenic nature of it, not to mention the ability to do Mexico related plots. There were the beaches, the bay, the mountains, the desert, the military connection, it always surprised me that this was the only major show at the time to take advantage of that. Of course, they didn't film most episodes in San Diego, but they did do some of them there, in whole or in part. Its especially fun to see places now that aren't even there anymore, and be like, yeah, I remember that.

The plots tended to be a little better developed, or at least more complex, on average than Magnum (sorry I know this is a Magnum site!). There were many exceptions, of course. Not saying I think it was necessarily a better show, but the detective stories might have been slightly better on average. The cast wasn't as good, pretty much just Rick and AJ. The supporting characters were nothing special, certainly not at all comparable to Higgins, Rick, and TC. They did have a lot of hot babes (San Diego peaches) as guest stars, just like Magnum.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by steveadl »

I'm really getting into it. Have just started season 2 and watched the MPI crossover episode, as well as noticing the re-jigs they've made for season 2 including Janet becoming a DA all of a sudden out of nowhere not to mention her ridiculous new boofy hairstyle. Pity, she was really cute in season 1, the hair has ruined that a bit! When she got off the plane in the S02E01 I actually thought another actress had taken over her role until I looked closer! lol

Though I see from epguides.com she and her dad won't be around for much longer anyway. Also I'm glad they've gone with the better version of the opening theme song in season 2. They had it for 1 episode in the middle of season 1 then disappeared again.

Sadly the DVD's aren't available in Australia, and even on Amazon they're harder to get and expensive. I've only got seasons 1-3 at the moment, so don't have long to go sadly!

I agree with you regarding some of the plots so far, finding them very interesting. Have just started watching 'Mike & Pat' with the stolen dolphin theme and was shocked to see they stole MPI's "Old Acquaintance" episode 4yrs before Magnum aired it! :shock: *cough*

Meanwhile the cavalcade of guest actors to also have appeared in MPI continues in every episode...

Styles Bitchley

#67 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Dave Anderson wrote:They did have a lot of hot babes (San Diego peaches) as guest stars, just like Magnum.
Actually, I find the babes on S&S a little hotter than on Magnum. I just watched The Bare Facts (Season 3) - the one that takes place at the nudist colony. Excellent. Camilla Sparv is a serious MILF!

On the supporting cast, I did like the Myron Fowler character but it seemed to be getting a little contrived in season 2, so I see why they phased him out. I just got to the first episode featuring Downtown Brown (Caught Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea) - this was the episode I noticed the can of Coops beer posted elsewhere in the forum. I remember liking this supporting character a lot while watching as a kid during the first run. I did love Tim Reid on WKRP, so maybe that had something do do with it. In my memory I recall him as something akin to Lt. Tanaka on Magnum. I'll get a better idea once I move into season 4, where he has more of a presence. (BTW Steve, I can help you get a hold of season 4. Just send me a PM).
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by steveadl »

Granted I've only started watching Season 2, but from the first few episodes it seems like they've taken a more serious twist ie. They're more developed investigations now, the guys are not the poor cousin agency to Myron's, they have connections in the DA's office to pull strings etc

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Little Garwood »

steveadl wrote:Granted I've only started watching Season 2, but from the first few episodes it seems like they've taken a more serious twist ie. They're more developed investigations now, the guys are not the poor cousin agency to Myron's, they have connections in the DA's office to pull strings etc
Like MPI, Simon & Simon has at least two distinctive eras. Seasons one through four are what I think of as the classic, peak era and then there's a different vibe from seasons five and on. I'll let you come to your own conclusions and we can discuss them if you decide to pursue S&S to the end of its run.

~Tom Selleck

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by steveadl »

Something strange...

Has anyone else noticed the Pirate's Key double episode mid way through Season 2, plays out similar to a pilot movie like when they are first trying to get a show picked up a la Magnum's 'Don't Eat the Snow In Hawaii'?

Is it possible this was actually filmed before the series started (as a pilot) but wasn't aired?
- Janet has her old, longer (and much more attractive!) hair style
- They give us the back story of the characters, explaining why Janet and AJ are always quite friendly/intimate in the series
- Myron is a manager in the detective agency, where as from S01E01 it was rejigged as him being the owner (which is why his role in this episode makes no sense for continuity)
- To my eye - Jameson Parker looks younger
and most glaringly to me....a HUGE number of the scenes used in the shows opening credits sequence are taken from this episode.

I kept wondering as I was going through season 1 why there were so many snippet clips in the theme song sequence that I'd never seen - even though I was watching the show from S01E01.

Styles Bitchley

#71 Post by Styles Bitchley »

steveadl wrote:Something strange...

Has anyone else noticed the Pirate's Key double episode mid way through Season 2, plays out similar to a pilot movie like when they are first trying to get a show picked up a la Magnum's 'Don't Eat the Snow In Hawaii'?

Is it possible this was actually filmed before the series started (as a pilot) but wasn't aired?
- They give us the back story of the characters, explaining why Janet and AJ are always quite friendly/intimate in the series
- Myron is a manager in the detective agency, where as from S01E01 it was rejigged as him being the owner (which is why his role in this episode makes no sense for continuity)
and most glaringly to me....a HUGE number of the scenes used in the shows opening credits sequence are taken from this episode.

I kept wondering as I was going through season 1 why there were so many snippet clips in the theme song sequence that I'd never seen - even though I was watching the show from S01E01.
I remember reading that somewhere. There are a few S&S sites out there with lots of info, but they're mostly a mess and difficult to find even with Google.

From the S&S Wiki page:

"The original 1978 pilot, called Pirate's Key, was set in Florida. When CBS picked up the show, the characters' home was changed from Florida to San Diego, California, where the show's storyline remained for the course of its eight-year run on CBS."

- J.Q.H.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by steveadl »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
steveadl wrote:Something strange...

I remember reading that somewhere. There are a few S&S sites out there with lots of info, but they're mostly a mess and difficult to find even with Google.

From the S&S Wiki page:

"The original 1978 pilot, called Pirate's Key, was set in Florida. When CBS picked up the show, the characters' home was changed from Florida to San Diego, California, where the show's storyline remained for the course of its eight-year run on CBS."
Ah nice work, thanks for confirming Styles. Wow, 3yrs is quite long break from the pilot to being picked up - no wonder AJ looked younger!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Little Garwood »

I've always wanted to see the uncut Pirate's Key and wish it had been included in one of the DVD sets. As it exists currently in the two-part episode, it's one of my favorites of the entire series.

Also, perhaps controversially, I'd say that Jeannie Wilson--as she appears in the pilot--gives even hallowed MPI Peach of Peaches Erin Grey a run for her money, but I know I'm alone in that view. However, I adhere to it to the death! :wink:

Speaking of Janet and Myron Fowler, I've always found it hilarious how Brooklyn-sounding Myron with his loud suits and cigars has such a charming Southern Belle as a daughter! Myron must have had a stop in the Deep South sometime in his long and illustrious private investigation business to have landed some gorgeous girl from Tennessee (which is where Jeannie Wilson hails). :lol:

~Tom Selleck

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by steveadl »

Little Garwood wrote: Also, perhaps controversially, I'd say that Jeannie Wilson--as she appears in the pilot--gives even hallowed MPI Peach of Peaches Erin Grey a run for her money, but I know I'm alone in that view. However, I adhere to it to the death! :wink:
You're not alone. This episode, and season 1 as a whole I'd completely agree with you.

Then season 2 came along.... :shock: :cry:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Little Garwood »

steveadl wrote:
Little Garwood wrote: Also, perhaps controversially, I'd say that Jeannie Wilson--as she appears in the pilot--gives even hallowed MPI Peach of Peaches Erin Grey a run for her money, but I know I'm alone in that view. However, I adhere to it to the death! :wink:
You're not alone. This episode, and season 1 as a whole I'd completely agree with you.

Then season 2 came along.... :shock: :cry:
I hear ya, bruddah! The entire time I was watching Emeralds are Not a Girl's Best Friend I kept saying to myself: "She's a lovely woman--if only her hair were different."

However, bad hair or no, Jeannie Wilson has one of the most delightful speaking voices--oh that Tennessee accent.<3

I choose to recall Jeannie Wilson when she had this hairstyle:

Last edited by Little Garwood on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Tom Selleck